Sign in to follow this  
ziggy

anthony macnamee

bennetts arrival surely means the end for macnamee ? a player who seemed to promise much but never delivered .

McNamee had plenty of chances IMO. Failed to make an impact on more occasions though, which could lead to his exit. I can think of more games where he was poor, and only a few right now where he came on a changed the game i.e. Leeds & Burnley at home last season, and away at Watford towards end of last season.

He was really bad against Leyton Orient in the FA Cup.

He seems such a happy little fella when he comes on to the pitch and immediately buckles down to the job in hand. Players seem to be dumped for no particular reason and I feel quite sorry for them. They arrive full of promise and then they disappear either off on loan or their contracts are not renewed. Maybe it is due the squad being larger than in the old days, maybe its a personality clash with the team management. We never seem to get told very much these days.

[quote user="Bobert"]He seems such a happy little fella when he comes on to the pitch and immediately buckles down to the job in hand. Players seem to be dumped for no particular reason and I feel quite sorry for them. They arrive full of promise and then they disappear either off on loan or their contracts are not renewed. Maybe it is due the squad being larger than in the old days, maybe its a personality clash with the team management. We never seem to get told very much these days.[/quote]

That used to be the old Norwich way where substandard was acceptable. Mr Lambert sets the bar high and helps each one to achieve, but if you try and fail then you are deemed to be one of the players that "needs a hand" Ruthless but fair.

H

for me without a doubt are weekest player, i remember watching him from the start of the leyton orient game in the fa cup, was absolutely terrible, and was not seen on the brench for about 4 games, is only any ever good in last ten mins of games when the other team is tired, has never made an impact from the start, has always tried his best, ashame its just not good enough

I agree he hasn''t been the attacking threat we do have needed as a winger.

But in his defence, at the watford away game he seemed to have a very good understanding with Simeon Jackson and hence by being on the fringes of the squad could be beneficial next season.

Defensively with our system we have needed any winger to track back a little more. Yes I would love to see him a little more direct but that hasn''t always been the case.

In the 25 I would say there is a place for him unless we want to move Daley out to be a winger. Who again can be told to be direct. We will have injuries next season, and hopefully not too severe but the fact that we now have two recognised wingers and people want one to leave is a little short-sighted.

Yes Lappin and hoolahoops can play wide but by taking hoolahan away from the middle is something we do not want to do. Lappin is solid enough but not a genuine winger.

So I see your points in regard to loan. Because I certainly would rather a player went on loan or was sold if they are not in the plans. Because as a club we just lose money on a player, and in most businesses they would be given the elbow.

(1) Wasting their career for just money

(2) Playing first team football is the only way to have a career, before being released - and should be the motivation for all players, sorry but it still should be.

(3) Our club suffers with the players wage bill

But I do think we need two genuine wingers when certainly some of our wide players are more tricky and able to pick out a pass rather than race down the line.

But who knows, what system and other players we will get in. Maybe MacNamee does want first team football and will request to go away, but that is the beauty of the break and the transfer window. Uncertainty, which allows for speculation.

But for me for now, he is to compete with Bennett for a wingers position in the first team squad.

I watched the season review a couple of days ago and was suprised at just how many goals McNamee was involved in early in the season.

Most people seemed agreed that he is better as an impact substitute. When he played from the start for some reason he was much less impressive.

Perhaps we can hang on to him in this role and as backup for Bennett. Wingers tend to be hacked about by slow defenders, so it''s probably useful to have a backup.

I notice that references to Bradley Johnson describe him as a winger, and I have certainly seen him playing there. If he comes, and with Korey able to play the outside role as well. We should be well supplied on the right, and with Surman, Lappin and Hooly able to play on the left we should be well equipped there also.

[quote user="Row D Seat 7"]He was really bad against Leyton Orient in the FA Cup.[/quote]

He wasn''t actually that bad. He struggled to get a decent ball into the box but Orient (who weren''t a bad side last season) often doubled up on him and he had very little support.

I don''t think it helped that the crowd didn''t really try to get behind him either, there was a lot more moaning and groaning than there was cheers of encouragement.

[quote user="Row D Seat 7"]McNamme is too inconsistant to be a threat for us in the Premier League. I''d loan him out for the season.[/quote]

For what purpose?

So if we went down, we could have him back for the following year because he''s a decent impact player. If we stay up, sell him on.

[quote user="smooth"]I agree he hasn''t been the attacking threat we do have needed as a winger.

But in his defence, at the watford away game he seemed to have a very good understanding with Simeon Jackson and hence by being on the fringes of the squad could be beneficial next season.

Defensively with our system we have needed any winger to track back a little more. Yes I would love to see him a little more direct but that hasn''t always been the case.

In the 25 I would say there is a place for him unless we want to move Daley out to be a winger. Who again can be told to be direct. We will have injuries next season, and hopefully not too severe but the fact that we now have two recognised wingers and people want one to leave is a little short-sighted.

Yes Lappin and hoolahoops can play wide but by taking hoolahan away from the middle is something we do not want to do. Lappin is solid enough but not a genuine winger.

So I see your points in regard to loan. Because I certainly would rather a player went on loan or was sold if they are not in the plans. Because as a club we just lose money on a player, and in most businesses they would be given the elbow.

(1) Wasting their career for just money

(2) Playing first team football is the only way to have a career, before being released - and should be the motivation for all players, sorry but it still should be.

(3) Our club suffers with the players wage bill

But I do think we need two genuine wingers when certainly some of our wide players are more tricky and able to pick out a pass rather than race down the line.

But who knows, what system and other players we will get in. Maybe MacNamee does want first team football and will request to go away, but that is the beauty of the break and the transfer window. Uncertainty, which allows for speculation.

But for me for now, he is to compete with Bennett for a wingers position in the first team squad.[/quote]I agree with this [Y]I have seen McNamee play well for whole games, although to be fair these games have been few and far between.  However, when he has come off the bench as a sub, he has had a positive impact upon the team when chasing a game more often than not.I think that in a 25 man squad, that there is maybe place for him to keep attempting to change games over the last 10 to 15 mins, with his pace and direct style.  Therefore I would not be surprised if he did fit on the fringes of Lambert''s plans for the coming season. 

On the contrary, i see Bennett''s arrival as a positive for McNamee. One of his biggest problems has been not fitting in to the diamond formation. With Bennett coming in, we have an out and out right sided winger. McNamee don''t forget is a lefty, so we have an opportunity to play a very attacking 4-4-2. Might leave us a bit open but it''s all about options these days.

I always thought he looked a good option from the bench but never starting the game. Is clearly not going to get a look in now that we''ve signed Bennett and are in the Premier League. Off load and cash in I say.

Didn''t fit into our system, simple as that.  I''m a season ticket holder and don''t remember many appearances he''s made where he hasn''t looked a threat every time he gets the ball.  Just think he couldn''t work in the diamond and that''s why he has had so few opportunities. Didn''t go to the orient game but to say he is by far our weakest player is very harsh as we''ve not had too much to go on.  I remember several games where his contributions almost single handedly changed the game in our favour.

I agree with Sierra and the others who think we should keep him.  Sure he may not be starting 11, but if the system''s changing to a flat 4-4-2 then he''ll get more chances and we always need cover, we don''t want to find ourselves in the situation where injuries mean we have to put out a massively weakend team.  We have to have a decent squad, not just a starting 11.