Sign in to follow this  
Oh_Stevie_Stevie

Championship Players

Hi all,

New to the forum so first of all, hello to you all. Sorry to start off on a somewhat negative front but is anyone else a little concerned that we only seem to be buying players from the Championship? Even players like De Laet and Chaulker shone in the Championship but have little/no Premier League experience.

I know it''s a long summer but just wanted to get your opinions.

Thanks,

OTBC

Not really, I''d be more worried if we were spending big bucks on players whose wages we wouldn''t be able to afford if we went back down.  We seem to be building a young(ish) team of players who have a point to prove and hopefully that''ll keep us up.  but we also have a team who if we went back down (god forbid) would be strong enough to make an immediate attempt at promotion and we wouldn''t be forced to sell on.

I guess this is where the ''hungry'' factor comes in.Last season we were signing players who were not exactly proven Championship players, with little experience of the division, if any at all. But they had points to prove, and they certainly proved them.This appears to be Lambert''s thinking this summer, too.

Yes, I''m not worried yet.  So far we''ve been picking off some of the best players in the Championship, and you have to get in quickly before someone else gets them.

For established Prem players it''s a bit different, you can''t go in and tempt them with a higher league !  I hope by the end of the summer we have a couple of players with experience of playing in the Premiership who fit Lambert''s mould.  There are differences in playing at Prem level (e.g. gamesmanship) and some experience would help us adjust.

But from last time the big regret on signings (with hindsight) is that we didn''t get Dean Ashton at the start.....from Crewe.

No, his methods have worked for the past two seasons, i see no reason why they won''t in the Prem.

Tactics and team shape with players understanding their roles and delivering is the key.

H

I think you (Oh_stevie_stevie) make a fair point. Having just been promoted to the big league, no one can be really sure just how ''we''ll fair. . However, the evidence is there to suggest we''ll be fine. We have been well managed for the last two years. We had enough quality for the Championship. Teams promoted from the championship seem to be doing better these days, without the really big names. And we also have a tradition of putting together great teams with players from the lower leagues (or from Tottenham reserves) - remember, Mike Phelan and David Williams amongst others, signed in the old 2nd division in 1985, who easily made the grade in the top tier. We signed players like Ekuku, Newman, etc. and they contributed to the great teams of the early ''90s.

I have a strong hunch, that there is not too much to worry about. Going into the "unknown" just makes things that bit more exciting, and not disimilar to last season. At the biginning of last season, I really had no idea what to expect from each game, and things just got more and more amazing as the season went on. I think those sort of feelings could well remain throughout the next season. I think we''ll be all right.

There is two ways you can go about it, you can either do it our way in which you buy the ''young and hungry'' players from lower leagues who want to prove a point or you can go for buying players with more experience who cant get into their own team.  The problem with our way is that you don''t know whether they can make the step up and the could get completely blown away by the Premier League.  The problem with the other way is that these players cost a hell of a lot more and you don''t know how dedicated they are to NCFC.  Also if they''re as good as some people will make out why aren''t they getting into their own team?  The plus side to our way is that its cheap and the plus side to the other way is that you get some experience.

When you look at it like that I would pick our way every time.  You always have to look at the worst possible outcome and if we did get relegated we would then have the best squad in the Championship which would then have some experience for the next time in the Premier League.

Saying that though I would like a more experienced centre back to be brought because I have my doubts over Ward and Whitbread.

Don''t get me wrong, I''m not questionning PL''s methods (they certainly worked last season) I just feel that we could do with a few players who have Premier League experience to help the others along. Still, it''s a long summer and I''m sure they''ll bring someone who fits that mould in.

I''d like to see one or two signings with proper Premier League experience - probably a centre-half and a keeper.

Obviously they''ve got to be the right guys in terms of personality and dedication to the cause to fit into the ethos of what Lambert is building, but without people like that I do fear that we are essentially building a team for the 2012-13 tilt at the Championship.

Basically I''d like to see a balance between the two approaches. The profile I would go for is an experience Premier League player who is looking to be a manager and sees the opportunity to play a real leadership role at a club like Norwich in the last couple of years of his career.

Last season we did well with a mix of players who''d failed in the prem but were established in the Championship (Barnett, Ward and Surman) and players that had done well in League 1 (Jackson, Crofts, Fox) so far we''ve only signed the equivilent of the latter - I reckon we''ll be going for a few players with a bit of pedigree as well.