Sign in to follow this  
Grant Holt is a Monster

Is Johnson the new Taiwo?

Despite repeated assertions that the signing was a stick on we''ve still heard nothing on Johnson.

Reminds me of last season when we were looking at Soloman Taiwo from Cardiff and all the papers had it as a pretty much done deal but he never materialised either.

Has Johnson perhaps failed our extensive medical?

No. As has been mentioned on countless other threads in the last couple of days, we are more than likely to announce his signing once he finishes his contract with Leeds.

I suggested this and was told i was an idiot and that the club were waiting for Bennett to return from holiday before announcing the double signing of both Bennett and Johnson. It seems that person isn''t as knowledgeable as he thinks he is!

Alternative is that the whole Johnson thing is a McNally inspired smokescreen to allow us to go about our business elsewhere. Wouldn''t be the first time!

[quote user="a1canary"]

I suggested this and was told i was an idiot and that the club were waiting for Bennett to return from holiday before announcing the double signing of both Bennett and Johnson. It seems that person isn''t as knowledgeable as he thinks he is!

Alternative is that the whole Johnson thing is a McNally inspired smokescreen to allow us to go about our business elsewhere. Wouldn''t be the first time!

[/quote]

When was the other time? Who are they sending a smoke screen to? Clubs find out what is going on through agents generally, not tittle tattle on Sky Sports.

There have definitely been occasions since McNally came in where it has been reported that we''re interested in X and then suddenly reveal we''ve signed Y. It''s a good tactic if you ask me! Agents and players play these games every day of the week, leaking stuff here and there about how this club wants their player or that clubs has been sniffing around when it''s total fabrication. Remember the Chris Martin wanted by Man U stories before he signed his first pro contract with us? 

I don''t believe for a minute that the clubs themselves don''t get involved in all this from time to time. I would hope we do and give these agents a taste of their own for once. They take the p*ss out of the clubs all the time.

This has been said before about McNally but no one ever gives specific examples.

The Club rarely confirms much less discusses transfer targets and virtually all information comes from the other club.

So, I have no idea what you are talking about.  Please explain.

[quote user="a1canary"]

There have definitely been occasions since McNally came in where it has been reported that we''re interested in X and then suddenly reveal we''ve signed Y. It''s a good tactic if you ask me! Agents and players play these games every day of the week, leaking stuff here and there about how this club wants their player or that clubs has been sniffing around when it''s total fabrication. Remember the Chris Martin wanted by Man U stories before he signed his first pro contract with us? 

I don''t believe for a minute that the clubs themselves don''t get involved in all this from time to time. I would hope we do and give these agents a taste of their own for once. They take the p*ss out of the clubs all the time.

[/quote]

Give me one example of McNally using a player as a smokescreen to sign another player.

Well there is a reason why you can''t give examples. Because we don''t KNOW it''s happening. No-one knows for sure about the goings on in the murky world of football transfers except those directly involved. What we do know is that all this leaking of stories and tapping up of players goes on. I am merely speculating that sometimes clubs play these games as well as agents and that maybe McNally (who we already know is quite a sharp operator) could get involved too. It''s not a criticism. If he does so it will  be in the interests of NCFC so it''s fine by me if (IF) he wanted to chuck a few red herrings out there.

Now, if there''s still something you don''t understand in there Cambridge, i'', happy to go over it again in more detail in the Baron of Beef or somewhere!

[quote user="CDMullins"][quote user="a1canary"]

[/quote]

Give me one example of McNally using a player as a smokescreen to sign another player.

[/quote]

Can''t think of one. Our policy in general seems to be. Identify a player with something to prove. Attempt to sign said player for a reasonable price at the earliest possible opportunity. 

''Because we don''t KNOW it''s happening''

So the below isnt true then?

There have definitely been occasions since McNally came in where it has been reported that we''re interested in X and then suddenly reveal we''ve signed Y.

"There have definitely been occasions"

"Well there is a reason why you can''t give examples. Because we don''t KNOW it''s happening"

"I am merely speculating"

Case closed.

No, that bit is true where we''ve signed a player under the radar that wasn''t picked up before hand or that no-one saw coming. Surman would be one. There are also examples where some news outlets have been convinced we''re going to sign someone and it turns out we''ve never been close to it.

Look, i''m just speculating. You must know that some clubs play these games. It''s not such a leap to suppose that MAYBE we do too sometimes. Ok, maybe we don''t - but no need for spanish inquisition!

Oh yeah hes in the Ireland squad now isnt he.........wait no he isnt.

Where do you keep getting ''one trick pony'' from, im sure I never said that.

Well done Mr Mullins, for taking select sections of my sentances to construct your own ''case'' (I thought this was a forum, not a courtroom!)

The remainder of the "There have definitely been occasions" sentance said "since McNally came in where it has been reported that we''re interested in X and then suddenly reveal we''ve signed Y". That is not wrong. Whether there''s something behind those occasions is what i am speculating over.

The very nature of ''speculation'' is that it''s not certain, nor possible at that time to confirm.

Now, since you do seem to think this is a courtroom, where you seem to enjoy attempting to prosecute posters, to complete my ''case'', the defence calls Lincoln Canary.

Lincoln Canary, i understand that you have stated on this message board that you believe it possible that Mr CDMullins can, on occasion, be a "cock". Is this true.

Yes me lud.

Do you believe this post to be such an occasion.

Yes me lud.

The defence rests.

You have to admit a1 that you did backtrack quite quickly from your argument, you can''t say that something definitely happened but not provide examples.That said, surely the real question is no has he done it in the past but is he doing it now?  Maybe he was using it as a bargaining chip for Bennett, as in "look, if you don''t sell him at a reasonable price we''re just gonna pick up this proven champiohsip midfielder on a free".As for the whole "his contract isn''t up until 30th June" or whatever the date was, surely that wouldn''t stop us from being able to say "When his contract runs out we will sign him on a new contract".  I think we''ve probably gone off him for whatever reason, or the rumours that he was having a medical with us were just false, otherwise we''d have heard something more concrete by now.  Although I may have to eat some humble pie, I admit I''m no expert on the inner workings of football transfers and contract negotiations.

Well Done on making youself look silly A1Canary.

You state we have definatley had interest in X to sign Y (your words) but cant give an example?

Then back tracked and used words like ''maybe'' and  ''speculating''

Actually, I think it just makes you look silly Mullins and argumentative, you really are a plank sometimes.

He''s entitled to his opinion and can use whichever words he wants and yet you are trying to pin him down to these words to win an argument, which you can''t win because you don''t know if it does or doesn''t happen. I personally have used such tactics in my business.

And what the feck has Hoolahan not being in the Ireland squad got to do with anything? Once again you make youself look silly as you know only too well him being in the Ireland squad has nothing to do with anything - Just one person''s opinion. So you call someone silly and then make a full of crap statement - Laughable.

So according to your most educated opinion, if you aren''t playing for your national team you aren''t a good player?

So players who fall in and out of favour in national sides are good players one minute, bad players the next etc. Crouch obviously turned into a crap player overnight?

That philosophy doesn''t hold up unless you are going to try and make it stick.

And I don''t think Trappatoni''s opinion is stupid, I just think he is wrong. Managers get things wrong all the time - Does Trappatoni have such a good record with Ireland that he is beyond reproach?

Was I wrong when I said Hoolahan should stop being played out of position on the left and be put in behind a striker - Even though 75% of the people on this board said he was crap.

I never said that, he''s a professional footballer playing for a Premier League side, so obviously hes ''good''. But if he was as good as this board makes out he would be playing international football in front of the dross that are currently playing for Ireland.   

I really rate Hoolahan - I don''t think he''s a world beater. I think that view would be shared by a lot of people on this board nowadays.

So you don''t think Managers see a player and maybe make a judgement that could be wrong? and/or a manager like Trap doesn''t make a wrong decision?

I''m not saying ''he''s so way and above more awsome than everyone else'' that he should be playing, i''m saying he''s plenty good enough to make the Ireland team when failure Championship players can seem to make the side with some regularity. Most people on here have him in their top 3 players or somewhere near that based on this last whole season - Why would a Chmpionship player who has done nothing special at all and had no success be rated above him? Hence I think Trap is wrong. In my opinion he is very wrong in his squad selection. I am sure that most people on this board are more qualified to judge Championship players as we have no doubt watched more than him as well! Just because we don''t get paid for a living as a scout doesn''t mean people on here can''t spot good football.

So bearing in mind, Trappatoni is an international football manger and as a full quota of back room staff to aid his selections, you still think Norwich City ''pinkun posters'' are more equipped to pick players than him?

Also bearing in mid Wes as played for Ireland on only a handful of occasions, have all the previous managers opinions been wrong?

It would be far easier if City fans just accepted that whilst we love our little Wes, hes not really ''that good''.

I''m not saying I would pick a squad better than him, but I could absolutely drop a single player from his squad and pick a better one.

Are you saying that Trap picks the exact best squad of players consistently?

Its a wonder top international managers are ever sacked considering they don''t make mistakes.

I think an International football manager is in a far better position to pick ''better players'' you. They get sacked because they get beat by other International football managers, not by Pinkun posters.

You think Wes is amazing, I dont think he''s that good. Nothing more to say.

I never said Wes was amazing, that was you, doing your speciality of puting words in other people''s posts

Good job no one listens to you, else we would be in danger of selling Wes and replacing him with the international legend that is Andy Keough or even worse... Delaney.

Nothing more to say.