Sign in to follow this  
CanaryOne

C Martin to Barnsley

[quote user="Paul"]Would bite their hands off and I''ll even drive him there[/quote]

And I would pay for your petrol!

[quote user="Paul"]Would bite their hands off and I''ll even drive him there[/quote]

Wow, never thought I''d hear you say that mate.  [IMG]http://smileys.on-my-web.com/repository/Winks/b-wink.gif[/IMG]

I was very impressed with Chrissy in League 1, not just for his goals, but his overall workrate was good. Then, in the Championship he seemed to struggle, and injury practically stopped his season. I think he has good potential, but needs to get his head screwed on a bit. A season long loan to somebody like Barnsley, where there won''t be too much pressure on him would be perfect, but I''d not sell him. If he doesn''t impress on loan at Barnsley, then sell him next year

[quote user="paul moy"]Bad attitude and thug.... get rid if a reasonable offer comes in.  [/quote]

Come to Beccles and I''ll introduce you to his family, perhaps you would like to tell them what you have just written. 

Thankfully, Lamberts the manager.....and not the fickle posters on here! [IMG]http://smileys.on-my-web.com/repository/Battle/sword-battle.gif[/IMG]

[quote user="pete_norw"]

[quote user="paul moy"]Bad attitude and thug.... get rid if a reasonable offer comes in.  [/quote]

Come to Beccles and I''ll introduce you to his family, perhaps you would like to tell them what you have just written. 

[/quote]

I''m sure it''s nothing personal. Just Chris Martin is standing in Cody Mac''s way, and Paul would sell his grandmother to get Cody in the team. He''d probably even sell Holt is Cody could play every week.

Unless you have met him and he has been a ''thug'' towards you (which I very much doubt), then thats a very shallow comment to make. Chris is a good lad and he will be ready to fight for his place next season.

He actually joked to me about being sent on loan to Barnsley so I wouldn''t be surprised if this rumour started from him saying the same to someone else and them taking it as gospel.

[quote user="jeagle"]

Unless you have met him and he has been a ''thug'' towards you (which I very much doubt), then thats a very shallow comment to make. Chris is a good lad and he will be ready to fight for his place next season.

He actually joked to me about being sent on loan to Barnsley so I wouldn''t be surprised if this rumour started from him saying the same to someone else and them taking it as gospel.

[/quote]

A court appearance etc for assault is surely evidence of thuggery...  no?   Please explain why not.

[quote user="paul moy"][quote user="jeagle"]

[/quote]

A court appearance etc for assault is surely evidence of thuggery...  no?   Please explain why not.

[/quote]Give it a rest, you''re telling me you never got in any sort of trouble when you were younger? Never pushed somebody over or anything like that? I''m sure it was a stupid thing to do, but it''s not like he''s Marlon King is it?

[quote user="paul moy"][quote user="jeagle"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Please Shut up Paul if you don''t like anyone member of our team sod off

I think that one should be very cautious about labelling anyone after a single incident.   People act in exceptional ways in difficult circustances and the phrase "out of character" is a cliche but like all cliches it has a foundation in truth.

As a solicitor I see people in all sorts of situations and often a single decision has changed a life but it doesn''t follow that it changes the person.   The background to the offence was complex but conclusions are not obvious though the are easy.   In my view like venality or infidelity, thuggishness is a character trait and/or a lifestyle choice and it takes a pattern of behaviour to establish what kind of person one is.

Does that answer your question?

As I''ve said on previous threads, if Lambert is happy to have him in the squad then I am. Time will tell whether he is, and I''ll leave it at that.

I think people forget that in the early stages of last season he was actually one of our best players. I remember his away performance against forest where he completely ran the show. I think it was only injury''s and his ''slight'' brush with the law that caused a dip in his form. He''s still young and has more potential that Cody(don''t get me wrong I rate cody). I would keep him here let him fight for his place. I think he could surprise a lot of people next year.

[quote user="I.S."][quote user="paul moy"][quote user="jeagle"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Give it a rest, you''re telling me you never got in any sort of trouble when you were younger? Never pushed somebody over or anything like that? I''m sure it was a stupid thing to do, but it''s not like he''s Marlon King is it?

[/quote]

The incident to which you refer was witnessed by several people but were not called upon, one of them being my son in law who was a part of the band playing at the evenings function which was for Adam Drury, The PPPPPeeeeeeeeeeeeeddddd up youth say the chance of a few bob compensation, went up to someone and statred to mouth off Chris put his hand on the kids shoulder and he fell over and hit his head, It would have got an oscar or someone a red card, in this case Chris was dupped  

This is a difficult one. I have not been his greatest fan though do concede he has got some talent. At this moment in time to be frank he is not good enough for Norwich either in the premiership or the championship. will he improve though, only time will tell. If he is not going to get any games here then he needs to be sold or loaned. A fee of £700 000 or so is very realistic provided we include a sell on clause. He could go on loan but that would present a dilema. If he failed then we would struggle to get much for him, if he succeeded he may be tempted to run his contract down and go on a bosman if he did not get back into the Norwich squad.

Lambert said there would be some sales and to be frank other than Martin and MacDonald i cannot see any of the players surplis to requirements being worth much at all

[quote user="pete_norw"][quote user="I.S."][quote user="paul moy"][quote user="jeagle"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Give it a rest, you''re telling me you never got in any sort of trouble when you were younger? Never pushed somebody over or anything like that? I''m sure it was a stupid thing to do, but it''s not like he''s Marlon King is it?

I remember when this incident happened Hucks tweeted that him, Drury and Fleming weren''t with Chrissy but were in a completely different city to celebrate Drury''s birthday. I can''t remember where but we had played there earlier that day.

Hope Chrissy doesn''t go, real raw talent.

[/quote]

The incident to which you refer was witnessed by several people but were not called upon, one of them being my son in law who was a part of the band playing at the evenings function which was for Adam Drury, The PPPPPeeeeeeeeeeeeeddddd up youth say the chance of a few bob compensation, went up to someone and statred to mouth off Chris put his hand on the kids shoulder and he fell over and hit his head, It would have got an oscar or someone a red card, in this case Chris was dupped  

[/quote]

On the face of it he''s probably 5th choice at present, but I feel he may have a role to play at some point. Maybe he can score a cracker against Liverpool, á la Ryan Jarvis.

[quote user="CambridgeCanary"]

I think that one should be very cautious about labelling anyone after a single incident.   People act in exceptional ways in difficult circustances and the phrase "out of character" is a cliche but like all cliches it has a foundation in truth.

As a solicitor I see people in all sorts of situations and often a single decision has changed a life but it doesn''t follow that it changes the person.   The background to the offence was complex but conclusions are not obvious though the are easy.   In my view like venality or infidelity, thuggishness is a character trait and/or a lifestyle choice and it takes a pattern of behaviour to establish what kind of person one is.

Does that answer your question?

[/quote]I agree with everything that you have said here, with the one exception of "like all cliches, it has a foundation of truth".You can''t deny that many cliches do have an element of truth to them. However, to say that of all of them is a generalisation with dangerous consequences. It is the same generalisation that has recruited and supplied the ammunition for every denomination of bigot and racist that has ever existed.Take, for example, the old chestnut that Polish people are annately stupid. My girlfriend is from Polish stock, and she has, without doubt, the most brilliant mind I''ve ever come across. And I''ve come across a few!I know I''m being quite pedantic and I apologies. I am certainly not accusing you of anything negative. Nevertheless, I think its a point worth making.Anyway! Football...

Their skipper, ex-Canary Shackell is about to sign for Derby apparently so Barnsley will have some cash to splash.

[quote user="L4cole"]I think people forget that in the early stages of last season he was actually one of our best players. I remember his away performance against forest where he completely ran the show. I think it was only injury''s and his ''slight'' brush with the law that caused a dip in his form. He''s still young and has more potential that Cody(don''t get me wrong I rate cody). I would keep him here let him fight for his place. I think he could surprise a lot of people next year.[/quote]Exactly [Y]These Chris Martin haters are hilarious.  These are the same people who claimed that Simeon Jackson was useless (a waste of money at around £700k plus add on''s) and while accepting an offer for £700k (or even as low as £500k) in some cases for a young lad with Chris''s potential, many of them would pay over £3.5 million on Craig Mackail-Smith, despite him only having achieved a similar amount in the game to Chris Martin, despite being what - 5 or 6 years older than him???Now I would suggest that it would not take a manager of Lambert''s pedigree and experience to suggest that such an idea would be absolutely crazy!!!As for those who think that Cody is a better player, well words just fail me... [:$]Chris Martin is a good player, with plenty of talent.  Those who would sell a young player like that who is under a healthy contract still to us, well you could fit their knowledge of the game on the back of a postage stamp... [:$]Chris Martin will be back and has the potential to do it at the highest level!

[quote user="Smudger"][quote user="L4cole"]I think people forget that in the early stages of last season he was actually one of our best players. I remember his away performance against forest where he completely ran the show. I think it was only injury''s and his ''slight'' brush with the law that caused a dip in his form. He''s still young and has more potential that Cody(don''t get me wrong I rate cody). I would keep him here let him fight for his place. I think he could surprise a lot of people next year.
[/quote]

Exactly [Y]

These Chris Martin haters are hilarious.  These are the same people who claimed that Simeon Jackson was useless (a waste of money at around £700k plus add on''s) and while accepting an offer for £700k (or even as low as £500k) in some cases for a young lad with Chris''s potential, many of them would pay over £3.5 million on Craig Mackail-Smith, despite him only having achieved a similar amount in the game to Chris Martin, despite being what - 5 or 6 years older than him???

Now I would suggest that it would not take a manager of Lambert''s pedigree and experience to suggest that such an idea would be absolutely crazy!!!

As for those who think that Cody is a better player, well words just fail me... [:$]

Chris Martin is a good player, with plenty of talent.  Those who would sell a young player like that who is under a healthy contract still to us, well you could fit their knowledge of the game on the back of a postage stamp... [:$]

Chris Martin will be back and has the potential to do it at the highest level!
[/quote]

Spot on, thought at the start of this season he looked alot stronger and quicker than in League 1. The Chris Martin haters are blinded by him off the pitch so they can''t see what he can do on the pitch. I would be gutted if he left other than on loan. If anyone can''t see the lads finishing isn''t good enough to make him a quality player in the future don''t have a clue. With a bit more experience and getting into the right positions he will score goals for fun. You have to look at Simeon Jackson, potentially he got us promoted in the end but it took 1 performance to boost his confidence and from then on he was on fire.

I think Martin just needs to click into place, he almost doesn''t understand himself when he realises the positions he needs to get in he will flourish.

Its not a question of Chris Martin haters at all. Most supporters including myself hope home grown players do well. He burst onto the scene with half a dozen goals or so in the champoinship before things went wrong and he got loaned to Luton then in league 2. That season i think he got 17 or so. Not bad but 5 less than MacDonald in league 2 this season. In league 1 he was very good and developed a good relationship with Holt. His tally of about 22 league goal was very respectable but was about 6th or so in the league 1 scoring chart that season.

This season his lack of pace if anything has alarmed me.I dont know if he has slowed up or the defenders are a bit quicker. He has had this "superb finisher" title but he has missed shedloads and 4 league goals in a season tell a tell.

I dont hate him at all but at his record does not hold up. far more importantly Lambert has either seen something he doesnt like or seen something in others that he likes a lot better and if it had not been for jackson in the run in we would not have got promoted. having signed 2 £2m strikers plus Holt jackson and bennett who seriously thinks he will get any game next season. It will not do him any good to rot on the banch if indeed he makes the bemch which i think is optimistic. he needs to play games a loan would be a good option and if he bangs them in at championship level then yes recall him if need be or sell if the price is right.

If he had not been a home grown player he would not have the fan club that his performances in the last 12 months do not warrant

[quote user="Yorkshire Canary"]Its not a question of Chris Martin haters at all. Most supporters including myself hope home grown players do well. He burst onto the scene with half a dozen goals or so in the champoinship before things went wrong and he got loaned to Luton then in league 2. That season i think he got 17 or so. Not bad but 5 less than MacDonald in league 2 this season. In league 1 he was very good and developed a good relationship with Holt. His tally of about 22 league goal was very respectable but was about 6th or so in the league 1 scoring chart that season. This season his lack of pace if anything has alarmed me.I dont know if he has slowed up or the defenders are a bit quicker. He has had this "superb finisher" title but he has missed shedloads and 4 league goals in a season tell a tell. I dont hate him at all but at his record does not hold up. far more importantly Lambert has either seen something he doesnt like or seen something in others that he likes a lot better and if it had not been for jackson in the run in we would not have got promoted. having signed 2 £2m strikers plus Holt jackson and bennett who seriously thinks he will get any game next season. It will not do him any good to rot on the banch if indeed he makes the bemch which i think is optimistic. he needs to play games a loan would be a good option and if he bangs them in at championship level then yes recall him if need be or sell if the price is right. If he had not been a home grown player he would not have the fan club that his performances in the last 12 months do not warrant[/quote]

Did he miss shed loads or just not have many chances though? Either way its his fault, just asking because from what ive seen when he cuts in on his right foot he often forces the keeper into making a decent save.

[quote user="Yorkshire Canary"]Its not a question of Chris Martin haters at all. Most supporters including myself hope home grown players do well. He burst onto the scene with half a dozen goals or so in the champoinship before things went wrong and he got loaned to Luton then in league 2. That season i think he got 17 or so. Not bad but 5 less than MacDonald in league 2 this season. In league 1 he was very good and developed a good relationship with Holt. His tally of about 22 league goal was very respectable but was about 6th or so in the league 1 scoring chart that season. This season his lack of pace if anything has alarmed me.I dont know if he has slowed up or the defenders are a bit quicker. He has had this "superb finisher" title but he has missed shedloads and 4 league goals in a season tell a tell. I dont hate him at all but at his record does not hold up. far more importantly Lambert has either seen something he doesnt like or seen something in others that he likes a lot better and if it had not been for jackson in the run in we would not have got promoted. having signed 2 £2m strikers plus Holt jackson and bennett who seriously thinks he will get any game next season. It will not do him any good to rot on the banch if indeed he makes the bemch which i think is optimistic. he needs to play games a loan would be a good option and if he bangs them in at championship level then yes recall him if need be or sell if the price is right. If he had not been a home grown player he would not have the fan club that his performances in the last 12 months do not warrant[/quote]

He played on the wing for a much worse League Two team.

I can only comment about the home games last season and saw all bar 1. He missed lots of chances , although was a tad unlucky at times. He did score a cracker against Barnsley though. The other element is his all round work rate this is only a fraction of Holt and jacksons

I really hope this isn''t true. I''ve been shouting for him to be given his chance in the prem because he is the kind of player who will flourish on a bigger stage and i trult believe that.

On the grand scheme of things, there''s little to say that Simeon Jackson is a better option in the prem than CMart aside from a bunch of goals he scored at the end of last season. CMart could have done the same if he hadn''t been injured. He was really playing well when he got injured so he was unlucky in that sense.

I agree with everything Smudger has said above. The guy should be given his chance and Lambert should persevere with developing the mental attitude side. That''s what needs work but if anyone can fix that PL and team can. Remember Lambert has repeatedly said he''s the best finisher at the club so i hope he sticks with him.

He did alright last season but no more than that. I thought he might have done a bit better than what he did.

He''s got a good football brain and his technique is generally good but it takes a bit more than that and at this stage I''m really not sure that he will be able to cut it in the Premier League.

Also, he''s now going to have serious competition for his place which he hasn''t really been used to in the last couple of seasons. Before Jackson struck his good form you couldn''t really see too far past Holt and Martin upfront but Simeon came good (more than good, infact) and he''s now got Vaughan and Morison to contend with on top of that.

Although I don'' personally know Chris Martin and therefore cant totally pass comment on his character, my cousin used to work with children with disabilities, and took a group of kids to colney or somewhere to do some training with a few of the first team squad. Apparently Chris came across as completely arrogant, looked as though he didn''t want to be there and paid little attention to the children who would have loved to have spent time with a character who might be a big inspiration to them. Lets just say in the short time he was there, he left such a negative impact on her.

Obviously he has talent, but part and parcel of being famous is to deal with any abuse that may come your way in a sensible manner.