Sign in to follow this  
ryan1992

Culverhouse's interview

It''s probably nothing, but did anybody else pick up on what he said in his interview? He said ''So we know the pros and cons of it, but we do need help and backing, and in the next couple of weeks we will see how serious the football club is about trying to stay in that league''. Are they going to unveil a signing or anything in the next couple of weeks do you think, or am I reading too much into this?

[quote user="ryan1992"]

It''s probably nothing, but did anybody else pick up on what he said in his interview? He said ''So we know the pros and cons of it, but we do need help and backing, and in the next couple of weeks we will see how serious the football club is about trying to stay in that league''. Are they going to unveil a signing or anything in the next couple of weeks do you think, or am I reading too much into this?

[/quote]

Not seen the full article, but there are two ways you could read that comment of Cully''s....

Yep your reading too much into it,i get from the interview that over the next few weeks the board and PL and Culverhouse will be meeting to see how much money the club will be spending on players and wages,sort of shti or bust kind of thing.

To the OP, the key comment procedes what you highlighted, so I''m afraid I didn''t read it as positively as yourself....

''but we do need help and backing''

That said, I have every faith the board will make it happen. If not, Lambert really will emulate his hero, Mr O''Neill. But, must stress, I think everyone up the top is on the same wavelength so am not unduly concerned.

(Can''t wait to see Tevez here next season ;)).

I was more interested in the comment "planning since the Pompey game". for the Prem. Could you see Warnock doing that at QPR. I really think the coaching staff we have at the minute compliment each other so well and can take us who knows how far!

Actually, when you read the full interview you get the impression from IC that himself and PL are more concerned about being replaced rather than themselves leaving if they didn''t get the right backing. But they will, and I think we''ll have some real surprises with incoming transfers, though irrespective of that I''ll be getting my godson a ''Hoolahan'' shirt this summer (if they ever bring out a new kit that is ;)).

" If not, Lambert really will emulate his hero, Mr O''Neill"

He would have to be in behind the scenes negotiations already.

As to how serious the club are about staying in the Premier league, maybe an indication of how serious they were about getting there might be an indication.

Unfortunately the link between spending and league position is only general not exact, as West Ham have shown, So any belief that having the club spending every penny it receives and borrowing more is an indication of any seriousness about staying is naive.

We are not where we are by luck or chance but by sheer determination and professionalism at every part of the club. Can''t see all that being thrown overboard.

[quote user="ryan1992"]

[/quote]

---

It''s an interesting quote (which Bailey has done well to get) because in terms of talking to the press the management trio at Colney has tended to give very little away. Indeed, according to the EDP a while back, requests for an interview with Gary Karsa have all been refused.

So for Culverhouse, who one might think would confine humself to coaching matters, to go on the record about the broader financial picture (which is what he is doing there) looks odd.

One explanation might be that he is being willingly used as a surrogate for Lambert, articulating what Lambert is thinking but doesn''t want to say in public. Another explanation is that Culverhouse was just being unguarded.