Sign in to follow this  
Hoolahan? Youlahan!

The liberation of Wesley Hoolahan

Wes tends to be deployed in a ''free role in the hole'', at least during the last two seasons.Will we have to place constraints on the Hoolahan game, or do we risk letting him loose as we have been doing and risk being caught out on the break every so often as he loses the ball in midfield (the result of any quality midfielder who regularly tries the killer play)I just fear that the creme de la creme in the Prem (apparently I''m a poet) won''t be so forgiving on the break.Thoughts?

If Hoolahan isn''t allowed to do what he does, he might as well not be on the pitch.

You would assume that he will be told to be more careful than before, but i don''t think he gives the ball away on purpose. But perhaps more ''easy'' passes etc will become more common from him.

Wes without the creative licence would be a shadow of his current self.I could understand maybe telling him to play a little deeper in order to ensure we get four midfielders behind the ball when we lose it, but we should still let him roam him the pitch, find space, and play the killer passes.

I do agree mate, but it leaves the conundrum of, if we do leave Wes to do what he does, do we start with him if we''re playing say, Arsenal away, and hope he has an awesome game, or do we play it more conservatively?

Just from what Lambert has done this season, I think he will carry on playing the ''best'' team available to him.

I''m sure if Wes starts off poorly, not getting into games, he will be dropped. But if he carries on like he has been playing these last two seasons, he will be playing every minute he''s fit enough to play.

[quote user="Hoolahan Youlahan"]I do agree mate, but it leaves the conundrum of, if we do leave Wes to do what he does, do we start with him if we''re playing say, Arsenal away, and hope he has an awesome game, or do we play it more conservatively?[/quote]I wouldn''t want Lambert to do anything different. We''d be on a hiding to nothing anyway, so fuck it, just try and play our normal way and hope to get lucky.During the ''Galacticos'' era at Real Madrid, they came unstuck quite a few times against teams who fought fire with fire and had a bit of luck on their side.

What you''re all over looking is that Hoolahan is on the front lines of our defence. His tracking back and defensive play is as key to our style as his passing, movement and goal scoring/creating duties. I think the best example of this were the Swansea and Watford away games in which he didn''t play. In this respect I don''t think the team or Wes need to change the style of play at all.