Sign in to follow this  
colneycanary

Do we want David Bentley back?

I know it''s only newspaper talk but the Daily Star is linking us with a loan move for David Bentley! He has no chance of playing for spurs again, and has not impressed while been on loan at Birmingham this season. Why would we want a player who has struggled at Birmingham! They could be relegated today. Can''t see why we would want him back. .

It''s a case of making up the numbers, by quantity rather than quality, which we need at this level when injuries and suspensions can come thick and fast. Bentley will be an ok squad player for us just as CMS would, as long as he is not expensive.

.........read what PL said last week.....won''t be paying £40K a week (thank goodness).

This bloke is the most hyped up and overpaid Premier League footballer and shows what is wrong with the game, he must be a multimillionaire and has never played 5 games in a row, in a word NO.

Bentley isn''t a Bentley now.....He''s now just one of those Chrysler ''Bentley'' lookalikes......

No thanks.....

i think a lot of city fans will remember his complete no show at Fulham when we lost 6-0, he wouldn''t be welcomed back, complete prat somes him up i think

Not thinking about the money, I would certainly welcome him back. He fits the "Lambert mold" perfectly, player in the mid 20''s with some good team experience, doesn''t appear to be going anywhere with his current team however definitely has the skill set to work with. Which is where Lambert can then improve his attitude and make him the best player in the lower half of the league.

However I would only do it if he was released and we signed him for a lot less per week.

[quote user="zak123"]Not thinking about the money, I would certainly welcome him back. He fits the "Lambert mold" perfectly, player in the mid 20''s with some good team experience, doesn''t appear to be going anywhere with his current team however definitely has the skill set to work with. Which is where Lambert can then improve his attitude and make him the best player in the lower half of the league.

However I would only do it if he was released and we signed him for a lot less per week.[/quote]I can''t think of anyone who fits the '' Lambert Mould '' LESS perfectly......Lambert likes '' hungry '' players.......Bentley looked like he didn''t care less when he was at Carrow Rd. His display v Fulham away was unforgiveable.Lambert likes '' team players ''..........Bentley throws his toys out of the pram at every opportunity. He would be a disruptive influence.Lambert cannot afford expensive wages.....Even if we wanted him we couldn''t afford him. With his attitude I''d want him to pay us.Oh, and of course re-signing players rarely works out. I''ll be amazed if Bentley is on Lambert''s '' wish list ''.

Lets not forget the ''lets be having you'' incident in training that really upset Worthington. David Bentley ? Not with that attitude ! 

Because David Bentley has the exact same attitude he did 6 years ago. Absolutely no chance he could have changed at all.....

[quote user="Gingerpele"]Because David Bentley has the exact same attitude he did 6 years ago. Absolutely no chance he could have changed at all.....[/quote]Well that''s true, he will have got older and even slower. 

http://www.dailystar.co.uk/football/view/192161/Norwich-eye-David-Bentley/?

Norwich chief Paul Lambert, who has limited funds to spend on the club’s return to the big time, is convinced Bentley’s experience and class would be invaluable to their survival hopes.

says who? because i doubt it was lambert

[quote user="swindoncanary"]opps sorry that was Delia I meant ''have it !'' incident 
[/quote]

what was the "have it" incident?

Hes more than capable of performing, just needs to get his head right.  Hes from Peterborough, so a move back out of the spotlight might do him some good.  He looked class during his final season with Blackburn and looked good for Spurs to start with.  Hes clearly talented, if the deal was right for us, and its a permenant transfer, i would take him. 

I really feel that some of you guys who post on here have to get a grip.  We need some players with premier league experience.  Our rapid rise through the league may be too much for some of our own players to take.  I hope players like Tierney, Crofts, Whitbred, even to an extent Holt and Wes, are not overawed by going to places like Emirates, Old Trafford, Anfield, Villa park, Eastlands, Stamford bridge...  These players for the majority if not all of their career have been playing in front of 3, 4 or 5000 people and, after one season playing in front of championship attendences, now step up to the biggest stage of them all.  This is a totally different world, and we need some players on board who are used to these stadium and atmospheres, it''ll be very different to playing in front of 25,000 home fans.  Also, our players haven''t had too many occasions where the fans have been unhappy so how will they react when theres a lack of noise from the Barclay when we''re 2 or 3-0 to one of the bigh boys.  I''m sure we''ll pickup plenty of points at home, and our away form for the last 2 years has been incredible, but away to some of the greatest stadiums in the world full of history, i hope our players who''ve served us so well dont freeze.

Thats why we need to get a grip.  We''re not gonna be able to sign the best young talent in the prem, but we need to sign 2 or 3 older heads, perhaps in their late 20''s who have played around 100 or so games recently in the prem.  Bentley would be a gamble, but perhaps if he can leave the playboy lifestyle behind and come to quiet little Norwich and knuckle down and earn the respect of the fans, he could be a success and a crucial player for us.  Going back to his loan season here, he was only what 20 years old, still clearly very immature and probably didn''t appreciate the situation he found himself in.  He also knew he''d be going back to a team who''d be challenging for honours on all fronts.  I dont think fans can blame a 6-0 defeat on him, because on that day, i''m sure pretty much no players could hold their head high.

I think Bentley could be a realistic target...

[quote user="Felixfan"]A total waste of space.[/quote]

Any club who takes him on should look at his history, US,we were Religated, B-ham, close to Religation, Blackburn, same boat, he only thinks of his pay packet Wenger saw that so did Harry, they turfed him out, Please PL leave alone. 

[quote user="pete_norw"]

[quote user="Felixfan"]A total waste of space.[/quote]

Any club who takes him on should look at his history, US,we were Religated, B-ham, close to Religation, Blackburn, same boat, he only thinks of his pay packet Wenger saw that so did Harry, they turfed him out, Please PL leave alone. 

[/quote]

Erm, if you done a little research, you notice, that we were odds on favs to be relegated all season in 04/05, Bentley made some mistakes during his time here, no doubt about that.  Birmingham have been poor all season, i dont think he added anything to their team when he signed.  If you look into Blackburn, he performed very well under a manager who is known for getting the best out of poorer teams, Mark Hughes.  Bentley helped Rovers qualify for the Uefa cup by finishing 6th in the 05-6 season, they finished 10th in 06-7 and 7th in 07-8, so hardley the same boat. 

As i said, theres talent there, Lambert is, in my opinion similar to Mark Hughes in his style of management, ie developing lower standard players and motivating players, perhaps he could do the same with Bentley. 

alysha asked

what was the "have it" incident ?

Remember the John Smiths advert, where they were passing the ball to each other and Pete Kay hoofs it ?

Well, Bentley copied it in training, Worthy was so upset he dropped him for the next game

I''d have him, he was good for us as a whole. Wages are the problem though as others have already stated.

He came in for Spurs last year and kept Lennon out the team for about 5 months, hasn''t worked out this year but he''s got a lot of quality about him and in my opinion, PL is the man to get it out of him.

NO!

Big time Charlie whos actual ability and end product is far far below what his over inflated ego thinks he is!

I know it was a laugh ripping the p iss out of Clingan the other week but in our relegation campaign he was one of the few players that performed and at the end cared!

Thats the sort of atitude we need in a player not someone like Bentley!