Sign in to follow this  
crabbycanary

Players I do NOT want here next season

Stephen Bywater or Kelvin Davis - experienced keepers they may be, but both complete ****s.

Any outfield player over 30 who isn''t already here.

Jermaine Defoe - wrong character to have around this team imo (ditto Jay Bothroyd)

Kris Boyd - doesn''t offer enough, most of the time

I''m sure I''ll think of some more - thats just off the top of my head.

Anyone else got any stand outs?

[quote user="crabbycanary"]. Jermaine Defoe - wrong character to have around this team imo [/quote]

I don''t know Defoe personally so I can''t really comment on his character but the guy is a proven Premier League goalscorer, football wise he''d be an absolutely awesome signing*.

*Not that I think it''s likely to happen, of course.

[quote user="crabbycanary"]

Any outfield player over 30 who isn''t already here.[/quote] Puyol, Lucio, Eto''o and andrea Pirlo are all over 30... so you wouldnt want any of them then...

[quote user="jas the barclay king"][quote user="crabbycanary"]

Any outfield player over 30 who isn''t already here.[/quote] Puyol, Lucio, Eto''o and andrea Pirlo are all over 30... so you wouldnt want any of them then...[/quote]

Ha Ha! You know what I mean! Like PL says, no one on £50-60K plus a week will be here whilst he is in charge. I would rather Lambert sticks to that, for the mid term sustainability of the Club. Now in a few years time when we are a top 6 Prem Club, that will be a different matter, but for next season............

[quote user="crabbycanary"]Stephen Bywater or Kelvin Davis - experienced keepers they may be, but both complete ****s. Any outfield player over 30 who isn''t already here. Jermaine Defoe - wrong character to have around this team imo (ditto Jay Bothroyd) Kris Boyd - doesn''t offer enough, most of the time I''m sure I''ll think of some more - thats just off the top of my head. Anyone else got any stand outs?[/quote]

Crabbycanary - I made a list a couple of weeks ago just after we got promotion on my blog: http://nick-sportsjunkie.blogspot.com/2011/05/ten-players-i-hope-paul-lambert-doesnt.html I think we''re both thinking along the same lines!

Why do people keep on talking about players such as Defoe who''s wages far exceed those that will be paid at Norwich?  Paul Lambert has already said he won''t be having players on £60k a week here.  And by that I believe you can read £30k also.  The club have also stated that they will not break the bank on huge pay deals.  So, back to reality please. 

[quote user="GJP"]

[quote user="crabbycanary"]. Jermaine Defoe - wrong character to have around this team imo [/quote]

I don''t know Defoe personally so I can''t really comment on his character but the guy is a proven Premier League goalscorer, football wise he''d be an absolutely awesome signing*.

[/quote]

Yep, proven to score 4 goals in his last 21 Prem appearances. Cody would do better for sure.

[quote user="paul moy"][quote user="GJP"]

[/quote]

Yep, proven to score 4 goals in his last 21 Prem appearances. Cody would do better for sure.

[/quote]

Seriously? You think Cody would do better? Just because he scored 26 goals last season in League Two doesn''t mean he will take the Premier League by storm! I''d much rather have Defoe, I think Lambo could rejuvanate the guy.

[quote user="SnakepitCanary"][quote user="paul moy"][quote user="GJP"]

[/quote]

[/quote] Seriously? You think Cody would do better? Just because he scored 26 goals last season in League Two doesn''t mean he will take the Premier League by storm! I''d much rather have Defoe, I think Lambo could rejuvanate the guy.[/quote]

Yes, I do.  4 goals in 21 games is pathetic for an out and out striker. I trust my instincts, having backed Holt at 25/1 for Championship top scorer and with him finishing second. I''d love to see Holt and Cody together in the Prem. If  D J Campbell can score 13 goals this season after failing as a Div 1 striker with Leicester then clearly anything is possible with players with the right attitude and attributes.  

[quote user="CDMullins"]FYI - Paul Moy = Cody''s dad.[/quote]

I must be Holt''s dad also by your logic.... [:D]

[quote user="paul moy"]

[/quote]You''re obsessed with this ''4 in 21'' statistic but it''s the first time Jermain Defoe has ever had such a poor return in a season. He averages around one in three in the top flight and if he were to become available for transfer in the summer there would be a queue of Premier League teams wanting to sign him. We have absolutely no chance of signing him but there is absolutely no evidence to suggest that a player who has only scored goals in League Two would out score him next season is there?I''m starting to think you might be Cody''s Mum [:P]

Cause Cody done so well on his last England call up.....oh wait he''s never had one! Statistics can lie, he has made 21 apperances, i suggest you check how many are starts before you go banding those facts about. The reason he wants to leave is he has mainly been used as a sub. Defoe has dropped down to smaller teams in the past (Portsmouth) where he scored 17 Goals in 36 apperances more than a goal every other game! I''d be more than happy with that return as it would almost certianly keep us in the PL!

Fair enough. Only scored goals with any regularity in League Two then. Don''t tell me you think he would outscore Defoe next season as well?

[quote user="Shack Attack"]Fair enough. Only scored goals with any regularity in League Two then. Don''t tell me you think he would outscore Defoe next season as well?[/quote]

Not really, i''m just picking up on incorrect facts :P (Like In the Ancelotti Sacked thread, Jas saying Chelsea were looking at relegation, and struggling to get crowds of 25,000 before Abramovic bought them, both completely wrong)

[quote user="Hannibal"]

Cause Cody done so well on his last England call up.....oh wait he''s never had one! Statistics can lie, he has made 21 apperances, i suggest you check how many are starts before you go banding those facts about. The reason he wants to leave is he has mainly been used as a sub. Defoe has dropped down to smaller teams in the past (Portsmouth) where he scored 17 Goals in 36 apperances more than a goal every other game! I''d be more than happy with that return as it would almost certianly keep us in the PL!

[/quote]

As many disclaimers say on financial products, past performance is no guarantee of future peformance, and Defoe proved this also applies to him in the Prem this season. Do we really want to run the risk of 4 million pounds for 4 goals next season ?  I''d rather take a punt on 25K Cody !! 

I wouldn''t want Nyron Nosworthy, Sheff U fans didn''t have a lot of good to say about him. Plus he sounds like a flu remedy you can get at a local pharmacy.

Players I do NOT want here next season

Anyone who has been relegated, we want players with a winning mentality. Lets go to Germany!!

[quote user="Shack Attack"]So you''ve got nothing constructive to add then [:P][/quote]

I was saving that for my exam.... Didn''t have anything particularly constructive to add to that either :P

What a strange discussion, Cody isn''t good enough and Defoe''s wages are at least three times City''s ceiling amount. The only reason he ever played for Portsmouth was because they had insane owners who near enough bankrupted the club by paying Champions League wages. So back to the main topic; players I don''t want here next season:

Journey men. Players who sign for a club for a nice signing on fee, put the minimum effort in and leave a year later without really caring what happens to the club.

Sick notes. Players with a history of injuries, who on paper are great, but in reality only ever play an average of one in three games.

Ex Ipswich players. Obviously.

Overpaid and overrated types, i.e Carlton Cole, David Bentley.

Donkeys like Gary Doherty (fine, he turned into an ok Championship defender, but a Premier League striker?!!! Ha haaaa, I''m still laughing at that one worthy!).

I have absolute faith in PL''s transfer policy, so far it''s been spot on. He''s brought in the right level of player at the right time and that should happen again this summer. And let''s face it, it can only be better than Worthy''s in 2004.