Sign in to follow this  
zak123

Who will be this years Doherty/Russell?

Last year when Doherty and Russell were released, most people saw it as absolute suicide from Lambert who had let two of the teams best performers from the season before go. However looking back on it, Doherty is not doing very well at Charlton in League 1 and Russell has been relegated this year with PNE. Who do you think it will be this year?

Elliott Ward. I think he would be the 3rd choice CB if Barnett&Whitbread wee avaliable all season. But we need extra strength in that area so maybe he will be the JBA of this season and just sit about on the bench?!

We have a small enough squad as it is in terms of players who we actually play. I think a few of the fringe players who Lambert didn''t give games to in the Championship will go, but no one who''s been getting games. We just don''t have the money to replace them and provide cover for positions at the same time.

Transfer talk isn''t what the OP had in mind.I think the OP was insinuating that the fans will single a player out as some did with the Doc and R martin (in the beginning) and who that player may be......

I think the OP was referring to Darel Russell rather than Russell Martin (Hence the ''relegated with PNE'')

Wouldn''t surprise me if it was Wilbraham - feel sorry for the lad as he just started to find his feet before getting injured but don''t think he''ll cut it in the Prem.

In hindsight, I think that Cody will become the one that will be let go to the shock and derision of many on here...

If you mean players that will leave that a lot of people don''t want to then probably Cody and C.Martin. I don''t think any popular players will be freed.

Cody and Martin being sold makes sense because they are probably two of our most saleable players (young with good records at lower levels) but also likely to be pushed down to 4 or 5th choice (at best) if they stay.

Two others that might leave are Drury and Lappin. I don''t think Lambert will want them to go but if we get decent offers for them and they decide they want first team football, rather than spending most of the season warming the bench, then they will be allowed to go a la Nelson.

Not saying I want any of this to happen but those are the 4 that I think may leave given the right offers.

Controversial perhaps but in reply to OP I would say anyone could become the new Doc or Rusty. The reality is if there is a player out there with a good attitude who is better than what we have we should be looking to sign him regardless of who''s spot he would take.