Sign in to follow this  
Essexiled Canary

England Goalkeepers

Lets hope he can step up to the mark - its a great opportunity for him.On this subject, after one of JR''s stella performances to come in the prem, I''m just waiting for the first red-top paper to lead with the headline"Ruddy Brilliant!!"

[quote user="NWC"]Lets hope he can step up to the mark - its a great opportunity for him.On this subject, after one of JR''s stella performances to come in the prem, I''m just waiting for the first red-top paper to lead with the headline"Ruddy Brilliant!!"[/quote]And after he saves a penalty in the World Cup the back page headline will be "Ruddy! We Ruddy love Ruddy!"

just think

green

hart

gilks

carson

loach and even forster would be ahead of him, to be honest he is a decent keeper but i doubt he will be our no1 next season, but i expect him to start as it.

[quote user=""]just think

green

hart

gilks

carson

loach and even forster would be ahead of him, to be honest he is a decent keeper but i doubt he will be our no1 next season, but i expect him to start as it.[/quote]Green has retired from international football.Hart is the number one choice.Gilks has been called up by the Scottish team so I believe he can''t play for England anymore.Carson hasn''t played for England in 3 years.Scott Loach despite being called up to the national team has been omitted from the u21s and will be in the Championship again next season.Forster is playing in Scotland and the England coaches rarely look at players playing in Scotland.Now I''m not saying that Ruddy is a cert for an England call up or anything but of the list that you''ve put together, there''s only 1 person that you could say would definitely be ahead of Ruddy if he has a good season and that''s Hart.Ruddy has to look at the current situation and believe that it could be the best opportunity he has for years to try and make a mark in the prem and try and get in the England squad.In my opinion he has done nothing but improve since he has been at this club and I have no reason to believe he won''t be our number one next season and continue to go from strength to strength.

[quote user="Largey"]Is Paul Robinson no longer involved in the England setup?[/quote]He retired from international football too, and after this season he''d be my first choice for number 2 to challenge Hart but he retired earlier this season.

[quote user="NWC"]Lets hope he can step up to the mark - its a great opportunity for him.

On this subject, after one of JR''s stella performances to come in the prem, I''m just waiting for the first red-top paper to lead with the headline
"Ruddy Brilliant!!"
[/quote]

What about "Absolutley Ruddy Fantastic,"

It is certainly an opportunity for him - hopefully it will lead to inspired performances/  Has Gilks chose Scotland yet?

[quote user="Pabs"]It is certainly an opportunity for him - hopefully it will lead to inspired performances/  Has Gilks chose Scotland yet?[/quote]

Gilks is way off what the England standard should be anyway.

It is fair to say the situation with England goalkeepers looks very grim indeed. Foster and Robinson have retired, Green is from what ive heard doing the same, and Green and Foster are as it stands now championship goalkeepers. So really the only two other English premier league keepers are Carson and Steve Harper. I would say Harper is too old now too be considered so really your only down to Carson. So he probably has got a chance of getting into the squad if things stay how they are as surely Capello is better off going for a premier league keeper who is playing than a reserve prem keeper or championship keeper. I think lambert seems to really rate Ruddy so think he will defo start as number one. Im still not too convinced and think we seriously need another keeper to at least give him some competition.I seriously think we should get Matt Gilks back. Out of contract I believe and cant see his wage demands being massive although would he be willing to come back after the way Rodent treated him last time?

Gilks is not very tall though. 6''1" I believe - same as Shay Given who is one of the shortest senior keepers around. Whoever is between the sticks for Norwich will be attempting to pluck the ball away from the heads of Crouch, Drogba, Kenwyn Jones - maybe Adebayor should he return - the list goes on. At corners you can add John Terry, Rio Ferdinand and many more who are very capable of outjumping most others. Therefore height is more than a bit relevant; and Matt Gilks didn''t keep too many clean sheets for Blackpool this season did he?

John Ruddy starts with a good advantage in terms of height!

England was once famous for it''s conveyor belt of goalkeepers... but with all of the foreign imports and just one place in a team of eleven, the maths mean it was always going to be the first position to suffer.

[quote user="Essexiled Canary"]All this talk of England goalkeepers not playing for their country - good opportunity for Ruddy to step up?[/quote]More chance of us signing Rooney!!

Let''s think about this. Robinson, Foster and now Green are making themselves unavailable for England, after they have been overtaken by a younger, better goalkeeper in Joe Hart who looks likely to be England''s number one for years. After years of playing understudy to David James and each other, they have acccepted they will never be the number one and have said they can''t be arsed to travel Europe sitting on benches any more.Who does that leave? Scott Carson is probably going to be the number two, and although he isn''t a bad keeper, he is hardly top class, and it is a reflection on the poor goalkeeping situation in this country right now that he is gonna be the first replacement.There are always three keepers in a squad, as UEFA/FIFA rules state there must be three in an international tournament. So who is the number three?The names mentioned in this thread, such as Loach, Forster, Gilks, plus David Stockdale and Frank Fielding who were in the squad earlier this season, are hardly convincing. Loach, Fielding and Forster have no Premier League experience, and Gilks and Stockdale have 26 games between them.I think any English goalkeeper, particularly a Premier League one like Ruddy, is a decent run of form, maybe 10-15 games, from getting a call up. That''s the reality of the situation- there are hardly any decent keepers available for England right now.

I see David Stockdale''s been named in the Squad. Played 8 games for Fulham whilst Shwarzer was away. Looks like any English keeper in the prem is in with a shout! Ruddy could get in.

[quote user="peter2704"]I see David Stockdale''s been named in the Squad. Played 8 games for Fulham whilst Shwarzer was away. Looks like any English keeper in the prem is in with a shout! Ruddy could get in.[/quote]

If he played well next season he could definitely be knocking on the door for selection. But how on earth is Stockdale ahead of Fraser Forster. Forster has considerably more experience and whilst the SPL isnt the greatest standard he is an automatic pick for a massive club in Celtic. Stockdale has barely played this season.

He doesn''t seem that experienced, Ruddy looks a lot safer bet to me.[IMG]http://i530.photobucket.com/albums/dd347/barclayendchoir/stockdale.png[/IMG]

Just seen the 3 england have called up. Its not looking good, Joe Hart, Scott Carson, Stockdale(fulham) he couldn''t make it so greeno was next in line. Apart from Hart any Gk could get the call. So i wouldn''t bet against Ruddy getting a callu p next season!

I think he COULD get a call up if he were to play well next season. Nothing definite though. Stockdale will probably start soon for Fulham making it harder for him.

Also everyone seems to forget about Ben Foster, went down for Birmingham however you can see why he won''t get in. Has been called up before. Besides this season Birmingham didn''t let in too many goals, just didn''t score them either.

I can see the headline now "Ruddy Awful: Goalkeeper lets in 6 vs Montenegro in England shock defeat."

Also can we please not forget in terms of Goals Conceded Norwich were only mid-table at best. So everyone saying "he got us there" I think you could be wrong, out outfield team got us there with goals.

[quote user="zak123"]I think he COULD get a call up if he were to play well next season. Nothing definite though. Stockdale will probably start soon for Fulham making it harder for him. Also everyone seems to forget about Ben Foster, went down for Birmingham however you can see why he won''t get in. Has been called up before. Besides this season Birmingham didn''t let in too many goals, just didn''t score them either. I can see the headline now "Ruddy Awful: Goalkeeper lets in 6 vs Montenegro in England shock defeat." Also can we please not forget in terms of Goals Conceded Norwich were only mid-table at best. So everyone saying "he got us there" I think you could be wrong, out outfield team got us there with goals.[/quote]

I think Foster is a decent keeper but he is also on an "international break" in his own words. The reality is that our next best keepers (Foster, Green and Robinson) all believe the position will probably be Hart''s for years to come and they can''t be bothered to travel everywhere to sit on the bench. Although I see Green has agreed to start playing again for England

Can I just point out to those claiming that Green has retired from international football that he has been called up to England''s squad to replace Stockdale, who is getting married.  Green was apparently only left out due to the dual distractions of relegation (and presumably finding himself a new club) and his missus having recently given birth.

[quote user="zak123"]

Also everyone seems to forget about Ben Foster, went down for Birmingham however you can see why he won''t get in. Has been called up before. Besides this season Birmingham didn''t let in too many goals, just didn''t score them either.[/quote]He has asked not to be considered because he has suffered a lot of injuries and says international football would put too much of a strain on his body.But then again, Green was reported to have retired last week, and now look...