Sign in to follow this  
Alex Moss

IYO Who are the real Premier League clubs?

We see all this talk by supporters of various clubs outside the Premier League insisting that their team ''belongs in the Premier League''. So it made me wonder, if you could decide your top 20 clubs in England, then who would you class as the definitive Premier League line up?. Being totally biased, I firmly believe our beloved club is a Prem club, and are firmly back where we belong. But who would make your top 20? Here''s mine in no particular order ;)...

1.Norwich City

2.Manchester United

3.Liverpool

4.Everton

5.Manchester City

6.Sheffield Wednesday

7.Arsenal

8.Tottenham Hotspur

9.Nottingham Forest

10.Dirty Leeds United

11.Derby County

12.Chelsea

13.Southampton

14.Aston Villa

15.Bolton Wanderers

16.Newcastle United

17.Itswanch Town

18.Blackburn Rovers

19.West Bromwich Albion

20.Sunderland

the real premier league clubs are the 20 playing next season, a club is where it deserves to be. No one has the god given right to be on the prem a lot would argue we especially dont.

[quote user="City penguin"]the real premier league clubs are the 20 playing next season, a club is where it deserves to be. No one has the god given right to be on the prem a lot would argue we especially dont.[/quote]I agree. Hate all this ''proper club'' stuff just because a team has more fans ot won more league cups back in the 1930s doesnt mean they deserve success any more than any other. Apart from MK Dons.

[quote user="Skittles16"]West Ham should be involved in there somewhere[/quote]

Yep, you''re right. So should Preston NE be there aswell I guess. Picking your top 20 ''Prem'' clubs is harder than it looks!.

Hate that saying '' back where we belong''  who has a divine right to be in the Premiership ?I noticed a banner with it on during our City centre parade and it made my cringe.Wanted West Ham to go down ever since they won that play off final and every fan interviewed came out with that phrase.

[quote user="City penguin"]the real premier league clubs are the 20 playing next season, a club is where it deserves to be. No one has the god given right to be on the prem a lot would argue we especially dont.[/quote]

This. Teams like Wigan get abuse for not being a real premiership team. But they have a strong chairman and a team with a lot of heart as they showed in the last two games. Hence why they have stayed up.

[quote user="Alex"][quote user="Skittles16"]West Ham should be involved in there somewhere[/quote]

Yep, you''re right. So should Preston NE be there aswell I guess. Picking your top 20 ''Prem'' clubs is harder than it looks!.[/quote]PNE have never played in the Prem so no.These are the teams that have played in the prem.Arsenal Aston Villa Barnsley Birmingham Blackburn Blackpool BoltonBradfordBurnley CharltonChelsea CoventryCrystal Palace Derby Everton Fulham Hull City IpswichLeedsLeicesterLiverpool Manchester City Manchester United MiddlesbroughNewcastleNorwich Nottingham Forest Oldham Portsmouth Queens Park Rangers ReadingSheffield United Sheffield Wednesday Southampton Stoke City SunderlandSwindon Tottenham Watford West Bromwich Albion West HamWiganWimbledon Wolves

For me an ideal PL would be

Arsenal

Aston Villa

Chelsea

Derby

Everton

Leeds

Leicester

Liverpool

Manchester City

Manchester United

Newcastle

Norwich

Nottingham Forest

Sheffield United

Southampton

Sunderland

Tottenham

West Ham

West Brom

Wolves

[quote user="king canary"][quote user="City penguin"]the real premier league clubs are the 20 playing next season, a club is where it deserves to be. No one has the god given right to be on the prem a lot would argue we especially dont.[/quote]I agree. Hate all this ''proper club'' stuff just because a team has more fans ot won more league cups back in the 1930s doesnt mean they deserve success any more than any other. Apart from MK Dons.[/quote]Totally agree.  I think it''s disrespectful to start suggesting otherwise.  Everyone is in the division they deserve to be.

[quote user="Yellow Rose of Texas"]For me an ideal PL would be

Arsenal

Aston Villa

Chelsea

Derby

Everton

Leeds

Leicester

Liverpool

Manchester City

Manchester United

Newcastle

Norwich

Nottingham Forest

Sheffield United

Southampton

Sunderland

Tottenham

West Ham

West Brom

Wolves[/quote]

I think I prefer your choice of Premier League line up to mine, Texas. But I''d have to have Ipswich in there somewhere for the 6 points and 9 goals. As for Preston, Harry, no they have not played in the Premier League, but they have played in the original top flight for many years, so they would definitely be there or there abouts for me.

Well I think you ''earn'' the right to be where you are (unless you thieve the right like MK Dons) but IMO the millions pumped into clubs such as Wigan means you can ''push in'' the queue.

I am going to be controversial and call Blackpool a real Premier League club. Whenever I switched on the tele/computer they were always the team in the Premiership I wanted to watch. The aim of the Premier League should be to give people entertainment and enjoyment. They did that in spadefuls. This is why I don''t like this "big club" stuff. I will back any team who uphold what football should be about.

[quote user="Jacko"]

I am going to be controversial and call Blackpool a real Premier League club. Whenever I switched on the tele/computer they were always the team in the Premiership I wanted to watch. The aim of the Premier League should be to give people entertainment and enjoyment. They did that in spadefuls. This is why I don''t like this "big club" stuff. I will back any team who uphold what football should be about.

[/quote]

Nothing wrong with that, of course nobody deserves the divine right to be in the Premier League, no matter how big or small, but I chose the lineup I''d like to see competing week in week out. Having said that, reading some posts on here makes me realise (that obviously) the Premier League would not be the same without it''s surprise package sides such as Blackpool this season (and hopefully us next season ;)).

[quote user="Alex"]As for Preston, Harry, no they have not played in the Premier League, but they have played in the original top flight for many years, so they would definitely be there or there abouts for me.[/quote]If that''s the case shouldn''t you pick from past winners of the Top Division?[IMG]http://i530.photobucket.com/albums/dd347/barclayendchoir/winners.gif[/IMG]

[quote user="Harry"][quote user="Alex"]As for Preston, Harry, no they have not played in the Premier League, but they have played in the original top flight for many years, so they would definitely be there or there abouts for me.[/quote]If that''s the case shouldn''t you pick from past winners of the Top Division?[IMG]http://i530.photobucket.com/albums/dd347/barclayendchoir/winners.gif[/IMG]

[/quote]

In theory, yes. But the Top 20 wouldn''t be my preferred choice of Premier League teams, I''ve picked a selection of those that have all had success in the top flight in one form or another, and would, for me, make a classic line up. Who would be your choices if you could pick a fantasy Premier League, Harry?. Remember, it''s just a bit of fun ;)...

Nothing against people who want to do Fantasy but I prefer to not to, I''m happy with next seasons line up for the Prem as we all deserve to be there.

[quote user="Harry"]Nothing against people who want to do Fantasy but I prefer to not to, I''m happy with next seasons line up for the Prem as we all deserve to be there.[/quote]

Harry. I obviously get the picture that you don''t have a fantasy Premier League 20 other than what will be the genuine line up for 2011/12 which is fair enough. As I''ve said before old bean, I''m not saying that any of next seasons teams don''t deserve to be there, each and every one of them do... But anyway!.

[quote user="Alex"][quote user="Harry"][quote user="Alex"]As for Preston, Harry, no they have not played in the Premier League, but they have played in the original top flight for many years, so they would definitely be there or there abouts for me.[/quote]If that''s the case shouldn''t you pick from past winners of the Top Division?[IMG]http://i530.photobucket.com/albums/dd347/barclayendchoir/winners.gif[/IMG]

[/quote]

In theory, yes. But the Top 20 wouldn''t be my preferred choice of Premier League teams, I''ve picked a selection of those that have all had success in the top flight in one form or another, and would, for me, make a classic line up. Who would be your choices if you could pick a fantasy Premier League, Harry?. Remember, it''s just a bit of fun ;)...[/quote]When you say "success in the top flight in one form or another," does that mean relative to each club? Because to some clubs, just surviving is a success, to others, not winning it means you sack your manager. I''m just asking because if you mean real success, we''ve never had any in the top flight and so need to come out of your list [;)]If you just mean "teams you would like to see competing in the top flight," I''d have Wednesday over United every day of the week. (no pun intended)

These sort of posts are always a little disrespectful to certain teams. I mean people always moan about Wigan but they''ve shown themselves to be worthy members of the top flight over the past few years. But I understand where the OP is coming from. Southampton, Forest and QPR should always be in the top flight alongside Norwich.

[quote user="Who Let The Fox Out"][quote user="Alex"][quote user="Harry"][quote user="Alex"]As for Preston, Harry, no they have not played in the Premier League, but they have played in the original top flight for many years, so they would definitely be there or there abouts for me.[/quote]If that''s the case shouldn''t you pick from past winners of the Top Division?[IMG]http://i530.photobucket.com/albums/dd347/barclayendchoir/winners.gif[/IMG]

[/quote]

In theory, yes. But the Top 20 wouldn''t be my preferred choice of Premier League teams, I''ve picked a selection of those that have all had success in the top flight in one form or another, and would, for me, make a classic line up. Who would be your choices if you could pick a fantasy Premier League, Harry?. Remember, it''s just a bit of fun ;)...[/quote]When you say "success in the top flight in one form or another," does that mean relative to each club? Because to some clubs, just surviving is a success, to others, not winning it means you sack your manager. I''m just asking because if you mean real success, we''ve never had any in the top flight and so need to come out of your list [;)]If you just mean "teams you would like to see competing in the top flight," I''d have Wednesday over United every day of the week. (no pun intended)[/quote]

It''s teams I''d like to see compete, even though I include some that I don''t particularly like. And yep, you''re absolutely right, I was definitely being biased about us but hey how many of the 44 odd Premier League sides have won the title or come close to it - We weren''t a million miles off it 20 odd years ago or so, plus I''d like to think that our now defunct 50 odd year record of staying in the top 2 leagues consecutively puts us there or there abouts as a top 30 side at least. I also think our European run was abit special too given that we did alright against some of Europes elite with a team made up of essentially British players - It just wouldn''t happen now. In short, although biased, I feel neutrally it could be argued that we have some history in the Premier League that many of the other 43 teams don''t. Most have never tasted (if you like) finishing as high as 3rd in that division, let alone leading the thing for most of the season!. So that''s why we get my biased inclusion!.

[quote user="Shack Attack"]These sort of posts are always a little disrespectful to certain teams. I mean people always moan about Wigan but they''ve shown themselves to be worthy members of the top flight over the past few years. But I understand where the OP is coming from. Southampton, Forest and QPR should always be in the top flight alongside Norwich.[/quote]

Thankfully, Shack, you recognise that the intention of the thread was not to be disrespectful against Wigan etc, as they thoroughly deserve their place, but I do feel the likes of Notts Forest etc have been doing themselves down in recent years, massively underachieving.

1. Man u

2. Liverpool

3. Arsenal

4. Newcastle

5. Leeds

6. Chelsea

7. Sunderland

8. Tottenham

9. Man City

10. Shef Wed

11. Norwich

12. West Ham

13. Southampton

14. Everton

15. Nottingham Forest

16. Aston Villa

17. Ip5w1ch

18. Wimbledon

19. Middlesborough

20. West Brom

Take the greedy big money boys out of the list and send them off to a Euro League and we''d end up with a fantastic league system with what''as left.Sadly it''s getting more like the Jocko set up with every year that passes.

[quote user="swindoncanary"]Hate that saying '' back where we belong''  who has a divine right to be in the Premiership ?
I noticed a banner with it on during our City centre parade and it made my cringe.

Wanted West Ham to go down ever since they won that play off final and every fan interviewed came out with that phrase.
[/quote]

Im with you on this on Swindon! I hate thats phrase with a passion. No team should be there just because of who they are, they have to earn it, which we have done this season likewise QPR, west hame have not done enough to play in the Prem and have therefore not EARNED the right to be a Premiership team! I really don''t want west ham in the prem for a few years now to put them in their place! Any team that brags about being in the prem and can''t stay there should not be there!

I always think Coventry and Sheffield Untied are a PL clubs.

Not so much Bolton, West Brom, prob as they were not in top division when I first started watching football

Surely Blackburn should be there.

I also have no time for Wigan, they are a manufactured team based on Whelan''s cash, operating in a rugby town with no football following except a few locals who have jumped on the Premiership bandwagon.

The sooner they return to league 2 the better and I hope we send them there.

As most other boards see us as a top tier side and since 1972 up to 1996 we only had 3 seasons in the 2nd tier, AND WERE FOUNDER MEMBERS OF THE BEST THING TO HGAPPEN TO FOOTY(As they also got rid of the goalie being allowed to pick up back passes,which coincided with liverpool starting to struggle as they couldnt now kill a game off by playing keepball with the back 4,and keeper!.),

WE ARE PREM! now llok at the other clubs from 72 to 2000 and you will see wolves/bolton/stoke and a host of others who spent a lot of the time between leagues 2/3 and 4!