Sign in to follow this  
can u sit down please

Temporary Stand....

[quote user="jas the barclay king"][quote user="can u sit down please"]in front of the hotel. Now hearing a few whispers. Will apparently seat around 800.....[/quote]

they should have never built the sodding thing in the first place!

good to see some potential seating coming in... I can see hotel customers whingeing they cant see the game... Tough!
[/quote]VERY VERY GOOD POINT!!! Damn thing is a needle in my eye too, fill up the corners with seats for fans!

I''ve got my season ticket. I''ve had it for years. Where they what to put some fair weather fans coming along for the ride is of no concern to me. i''m perfectly happy we fill 27k week in week out than have empty seats in a 30k plus ground. Just look at leeds their ground is pretty much the same size as ours on 3 sides just with one massive stand that they can''t fill unless the big boys come to town.

[quote user="Hannibal"]I''ve got my season ticket. I''ve had it for years. Where they what to put some fair weather fans coming along for the ride is of no concern to me. i''m perfectly happy we fill 27k week in week out than have empty seats in a 30k plus ground. Just look at leeds their ground is pretty much the same size as ours on 3 sides just with one massive stand that they can''t fill unless the big boys come to town.[/quote]

I still say someone got a backhander when the negotiations went on with the Hotel, They could have built a double tier infill there, and would still have made money all year round on it too. 

[quote user="lappinitup"]

They should make ALL seats two inches smaller, get loads more in then. Charge lardarses for two seats, more money for players.

Oh, and lower the seats of tall people, so we can all see........

[:D]

[/quote]

You work for easyJet and I claim my £5 [;)]

[quote user="First Wizard"]

[quote user="DOGGER"]Temporary stand for Temporary fans!![/quote]

Ouch!  [Y]

[/quote]

Why not operate it on a "leave it empty and let anyone who wants to turn up on the day at short notice can sit in it" basis. That would delight Cluckbert and repay him for all he has done for the Club. 

[quote user="Old Shuck"]

[quote user="jas the barclay king"][quote user="can u sit down please"]in front of the hotel. Now hearing a few whispers. Will apparently seat around 800.....[/quote]they should have never built the sodding thing in the first place!good to see some potential seating coming in... I can see hotel customers whingeing they cant see the game... Tough![/quote]

I find the "sodding thing" very useful whenever I''m up in Norwich!

Mind you, its not there for people to watch a game from the windows (though they charge more just for the pitchside view!) and thats an awful lot of space that could be utilised for seating, especially if they hooked up the Barclay to the South Stand with a complete infill. Expensive though. Seems a very obvious route to go down.

I don''t think, for what its worth, the hotel will be there for very much longer anyway.

[/quote]its on a 99 year Lease from Holiday Inn... one of doomcasters "Bright idears" so you can only imagine how much it would cost the club to pay off that lease... Holiday Inn might well pull out, but expect an empty shell to sit there for the next century if they do.

If it wasn''t for these fans some people are ignorantly labeling "temporary", "plastic" or "gloryhunters" we would not be looking forward to Premier League football.

In the mid-90s, our attendances were regularly around the 14,000 mark. I used to be able to run up and down my row and jump over seats as a pre-teen fan in my block. That block is now full. It wasn''t until the playoff season that it became a rarity not to get over 20,000 fans a game.

So from your rationale, around 10,000 of the fans that pack Carrow Road today were "temporary" and "plastic" back at the turn of the millennium.

Fortunately, your rationale is stupid. Certainly some of the new fans who will start supporting Norwich will leave if ever the prospect of Arsenal and Man Utd visiting is over, however a significant proportion of them will stay and as a club we have the opportunity to swell out attendances a bit closer to the 30,000 mark for the next 5-10 years.

Call them plastic. Call them gloryhunters. If you want Norwich to progress and become an established Premier League club and have ticket sales that can support this, you can also call them imperative.

Alternatively, label them as pointless and pathetic and enjoy being a perennial Championship club. I suppose that must be what the "real" and "loyal" fans are supposed to want is it?

Excellent post, CanaryDan23.

I started going midseason in the 1971-72 season, when Norwich were top and about to get into the top division for the first time ever.

So, by many people''s reckoning, I was a bit of a gloryhunter.

Except I was 11 at the time, it was my Dad who took me along, and I''ve been going along as much as I can ever since.

I think our main problem will come after a couple of years in the Premiership, then it will be time to redevelop the ground. How are they going to subtract one stand from the ground, and where are they going to seat the displaced fans ? 

"I think our main problem will come after a couple of years in the Premiership, then it will be time to redevelop the ground. How are they going to subtract one stand from the ground, and where are they going to seat the displaced fans?"

I think the only answer is to add first, before subtracting.

Although there is debate about the amount of piling done under the Jarrold, the solution is probably to add another tier to that stand. If the Jarrold''s current foundations are insufficient, I suspect that a cantilevered tier will be added (given that there is a lot of space behind the stand for the supports), to spread the load.

Only then will the City stand be (re)developed, and no doubt totally demolished to make way for a brand new stand.

This would surely be the only way to redevelop the ground substantially while at the same time catering for fans displaced during any building work.

[quote user="swindoncanary"]I think our main problem will come after a couple of years in the Premiership, then it will be time to redevelop the ground. How are they going to subtract one stand from the ground, and where are they going to seat the displaced fans ?  [/quote]There''s a 30,300 capacity stadium 40 miles down the road that is never ever compleletely used[;)][;)], we''d fill that week-in, week-out!!Seriously though it will be problem (if /when it happens). Much will depend upon the state of readiness  (if any) of whichever part of the ground is developed, something already discussed at length several times on here. Assuming there is some pre-provision and it will be the GW City Stand or Jarrold Stand, there is room behind both to do some enabling work whilst still in use. Combine this with us much off-site prefabrication as possible, then a work-round (e.g part occupation), keeping the capacity up is possible but as to the real world practicalities (H&S, Safety Certifucation etc), I''m not sure. Apologies, I''m mainstream construction, haven''t done any football stadiums, much less any whilst occupied [:$] . Another thought-  do the Club own the old Carrow Road behind GW City stand [^o)])       

CambsCanary- typing at the same time- great minds etc[;)]. You''d like to hope the Jarrold is ''primed and ready'', even then it would be a mental 3 months off-season to achieve everything,, I''d love to be involved Project Planning that job [8-)].

[quote user="canarydan23"]If it wasn''t for these fans some people are ignorantly labeling "temporary", "plastic" or "gloryhunters" we would not be looking forward to Premier League football. In the mid-90s, our attendances were regularly around the 14,000 mark. I used to be able to run up and down my row and jump over seats as a pre-teen fan in my block. That block is now full. It wasn''t until the playoff season that it became a rarity not to get over 20,000 fans a game. [/quote]

In the early 1970s I have seen 30,000+ at Carrow Rd., mind you that was when we in the top tier of football and we had standing.

[quote user="swindoncanary"]I think our main problem will come after a couple of years in the Premiership, then it will be time to redevelop the ground. How are they going to subtract one stand from the ground, and where are they going to seat the displaced fans ? 
[/quote]

The season ticket holders in the GW stand will move to the spaces in the other three stands not occupied by season ticket holders, i.e. no or few away fans.

[quote user="jas the barclay king"]
its on a 99 year Lease from Holiday Inn... one of doomcasters "Bright idears" so you can only imagine how much it would cost the club to pay off that lease... Holiday Inn might well pull out, but expect an empty shell to sit there for the next century if they do.
[/quote]

Jas you are totalling wrong.First and foremost Holiday Inn is a franchise and it is not on a 99 year lease.Norwich City received £1.1 million up front from a Management/development company for providing the land on which it is built.In the event of it being sold anytime in the future Norwich City receive 30% of the sale price.

[quote user="City1st"]The seats would need some form of controlled access so it pretty much precludes them sticking the away fans there, as they would have to enter via the Barclay or the South Stand.

They would also need acces to toilets if not food/drink which suggests ''attaching it to the Barclay.

Still too many seats lost through segregation. How come thisw wasn''t thought out when the new South Stand was built ?[/quote]

The segregation point is a very good one, someone suggested a gantry with a movable grid type partition could provide segregation without the loss of blocks of seats, sounds good in theory but probably not allowed by ground safety regs.

The corner stand between the river end and the city stand is the last one to sell out, surely this is the place for away fans?

I think that there is another opportunity to increase capacity... well sort of;All those fans that leave 10 minutes before the end can sell their tickets on to those fans who just want to see the Norwich goals. They should get a good 16 minutes in from the 80th minute to full time with around 2-3 goals to be guaranteed every home match.

The River End/City Stand corner is far too small to house a away following of more than 500. Many Premier League will sell their their full allocaation of over 2,500, which would take them up to the half way line of the City Stand!

I always think having away fans near the Barclay helps create a decent atmosphere anyway.

"The season ticket holders in the GW stand will move to the spaces in the other three stands not occupied by season ticket holders, i.e. no or few away fans."

I was under the impression that, in the Premier League, all clubs are required to offer away fans a minimum of about 3,000 tickets.

What would people think to this then . . .

I heard a rumour (3rd hand info so I''m not saying it''s true and should be believed by any stretch of the imagination, just passing on what I''ve heard) that they have several different options available to them with regards to how to and where to expand the stadium in order to achieve maximum revenue/best atmosphere etc. Each proposal features rebuilding or expansion of one or more stand.

Now the real interesting one is this . . . Apparently, one of these proposals includes potentially knocking down the Barclay stand, and building a larger, brand new, single-tiered stand similar to the Liverpool KOP stand. This would include buying out the hotel, getting rid of it and extending the new Barclay round to fill the empty corner. Along with this, the City stand would subsequently be given a new tier, as opposed to knocking it down, and this would supposedly boost capacity to around the 36,500 mark.

This is obviously a big undertaking though, and if it was indeed true, I don''t think it would happen unless the club became well established in the prem, i.e. at least 3 seasons in the top flight to also help get rid of the debt and strengthen the club finances, further increase demand for tickets etc.

What are people''s views on re-building a KOP-style Barclay stand? Would it further help improve atmosphere as well as capacity, as we all know demand for tickets in that stand are through the roof. Would people want it changed??

[quote user="CambsCanary"]"The season ticket holders in the GW stand will move to the spaces in the other three stands not occupied by season ticket holders, i.e. no or few away fans." I was under the impression that, in the Premier League, all clubs are required to offer away fans a minimum of about 3,000 tickets.[/quote]

I suspect you will find that the rule doesn''t apply during a construction period.

[quote user="CambsCanary"]"The season ticket holders in the GW stand will move to the spaces in the other three stands not occupied by season ticket holders, i.e. no or few away fans." I was under the impression that, in the Premier League, all clubs are required to offer away fans a minimum of about 3,000 tickets.[/quote]

Unless it''s changed it''s 10% or 3000 whichever figure is lower. I seem to remember some clubs used to insist they would be paid for the empty seats if a club asked them for a full allocation and then didn''t sell them. I should imagine McNally''s already on the ball over this.

The problem with the away fans segregation is they have to have a seperate area for the toilets and refreshments.

It would be much easier if they could be housed in the River End. Put them in the lower part and allow the Riverenders to migrate to the South stand. im sure with a bit of ''movin'' and shakin'' some of the lively ones could locate near to the Barclay. Some who like peering at the game throw the goal nets could still watch the game at ground level while others might welcome having a seat higher up.

Problems - would be getting the away fans to and from the station as they would have to go past the whole length of the South stand after the game. Complaints from a number of River enders who want to watch the game from behind the goal. Also the loss of away fans close to the Barclay.

Positives - would be the gaining of seats lost to segregation. Any possibility of temporary seating in front of the hotel would not have the problem of segregation, so either stand could be used, where practical.

As to future ground development I think it should be borne in mind that should we stay up next season then there will be a considerable change in ticket prices. Most fans will be watching Premier League football at Championship prices. That was the inevitable consequence of offering an ''early bird'' system. What may happen next sesaon is that the tickets are still offered at an early bird price but at Premier League prices, with a partial refund if the club is then subsequently relegated.

I am also certain that the huge discounts offered to families and children will see some form of ''modification''. The club will see large numbers of seats being occupied at around £3 a game where, sold as seperate ''casual'' tickets, could generate anything up to a £1000 over the season l(eague games).

Harsh yes, but that will be the grim reality of competing financially in the Premier league. Those ''modifications will, if experience shows, be so structured that they slow down demand whilst increasing revenue. I doubt the club will keep the prices so low that there is still a demand from 5000 or more wanting tickets.

A lot cheaper than closing down part of the ground and spending millions and millions building new seating that may not be needed a few years down the line. Far simpler to regulate the demand through price. If we drop back down as before then you simply rejig the price and fill up the ground. Much quicker and simpler and no debts or empty stadia to pay fort and maintain.