Sign in to follow this  
dylanisabaddog

Stephen Fry autobiography

Against all the odds, we have just secured promotion back to the premiership and for some unknown reason, someone has to call into question the motivation of one of the board members based upon an interpretation of one line of a book!

Neither they, nor I have a clear understanding of the person''s role for the club but hey, lets assume the worst just to play safe? It couldn''t possibly be anything to do with interest in the club or the region could it? There must be a secret reason, a dark conspiracy, no doubt involving millions being syphoned from the club...

Let''s not enjoy the moment and the speculation about future purchases instead lets cast around for someone who isn''t as pure as us; someone that might not love the club in the right way; lets dismiss anyone who has not attended as many games as I have as a glory hunter...

How some people love the club to fail, so that they get the chance to really vent their spleen.

Incidentally, I noticed a Tweet from Alexander Armstrong (@Xanneroo) a month or two ago congratulating Norwich City on a particular win (or wishing them luck, forget which).  Given that he was born Oop North, and there''s been absolutely no mention of him supporting us before, I would imagine that his delight was based on having listened to a certain celebrity friend extoll the virtues of our club to all and sundry... (We''ve also had a mention on QI before, natch).

A criminal and class A drug user like Fry should not be a director of a family orintated club like CITY......period!

Tweet that.

[quote user=" Badger"]Against all the odds, we have just secured promotion back to the premiership and for some unknown reason, someone has to call into question the motivation of one of the board members based upon an interpretation of one line of a book! Neither they, nor I have a clear understanding of the person''s role for the club but hey, lets assume the worst just to play safe? It couldn''t possibly be anything to do with interest in the club or the region could it? There must be a secret reason, a dark conspiracy, no doubt involving millions being syphoned from the club... Let''s not enjoy the moment and the speculation about future purchases instead lets cast around for someone who isn''t as pure as us; someone that might not love the club in the right way; lets dismiss anyone who has not attended as many games as I have as a glory hunter... How some people love the club to fail, so that they get the chance to really vent their spleen.[/quote]

When I wrote the original post, I had hoped for a reasoned debate on Stephen Fry''s position as a Board member.  I never mentioned the possibility that he may be stealing money from the club or how I love the club to fail, and such thoughts couldn''t have been further from my mind.  One poster has even suggested that Stephen Fry might not have written his own auto biography (apparently celebrities get someone else to do it for them).  

Never mind, I''ll go and talk to the Labrador instead. At least he''s got a brain.

[quote user="dylanisabaddog"]

[quote user=" Badger"]Against all the odds, we have just secured promotion back to the premiership and for some unknown reason, someone has to call into question the motivation of one of the board members based upon an interpretation of one line of a book! Neither they, nor I have a clear understanding of the person''s role for the club but hey, lets assume the worst just to play safe? It couldn''t possibly be anything to do with interest in the club or the region could it? There must be a secret reason, a dark conspiracy, no doubt involving millions being syphoned from the club... Let''s not enjoy the moment and the speculation about future purchases instead lets cast around for someone who isn''t as pure as us; someone that might not love the club in the right way; lets dismiss anyone who has not attended as many games as I have as a glory hunter... How some people love the club to fail, so that they get the chance to really vent their spleen.[/quote]

When I wrote the original post, I had hoped for a reasoned debate on Stephen Fry''s position as a Board member.  I never mentioned the possibility that he may be stealing money from the club or how I love the club to fail, and such thoughts couldn''t have been further from my mind.  One poster has even suggested that Stephen Fry might not have written his own auto biography (apparently celebrities get someone else to do it for them).  

Never mind, I''ll go and talk to the Labrador instead. At least he''s got a brain.

[/quote]

for what its worth i think its a bonus having him on the board and any publicity is good that he brings, he has many contacts and we dont know what goes on behind the scenes but i would think that Mcnally would not want someone who did nothing useful

Badger writes "Against all the odds, we have just secured promotion back to the

premiership and for some unknown reason, someone has to call into

question the motivation of one of the board members based upon an

interpretation of one line of a book!

Neither they, nor I have a clear understanding of the person''s role

for the club but hey, lets assume the worst just to play safe? It

couldn''t possibly be anything to do with interest in the club or the

region could it? There must be a secret reason, a dark conspiracy, no

doubt involving millions being syphoned from the club...

Let''s not enjoy the moment and the speculation about future

purchases instead lets cast around for someone who isn''t as pure as us;

someone that might not love the club in the right way; lets dismiss

anyone who has not attended as many games as I have as a glory

hunter...

How some people love the club to fail, so that they get the chance to really vent their spleen".
I don''t think you understand the original poster''s intentions. Are you seriously suggesting he wants the the club to fail because of the passage he quoted from Fry''s autobiography? The original thread topic is a good one where Dylanisabaddog raises an an interesting point. What has Fry actually brought to the party since he accepted the directorship? Yes he wears a green & yellow scarf & mixes with lots of "celebrities".
Does he really love "the game" or

is it more a love affair with Norfolk?  He certainly has a love of

snooker based upon the dozens of twitter posts during the recent World

Snooker championships. Does he have the same passion for soccer? I don''t have the answer to that one but nevertheless much more worthy of debating than some of the dross seen recently on this forum.
You are right that you or I do not have a clear understanding of his role within the club. Is it to bring in extra investment? Is to raise the profile? My impression to date has not been particularly favourable. However I may be proved wrong in time. Hopefully so. If you would prefer to turn your attention to the speculation of future purchases then please enjoy yourself. This forum is currently bursting with nonsense regarding Crouch, Klose, Owen and various others. If that''s your bag'' then have fun.

dylanisabaddog - In a rather cryptic remark you implied that he did not like “soccer” which in turn suggests that there were other motivations for his membership of the board. You did not make any direct accusations however the inference drawn was a rational one.

I am not alone in my interpretation of your OP:

Birchfest wrote “ but come on, what is the point of this post? To stire up some anti-Fry feeling. Perhaps the guy he was with was American, and it was a reference to the use of the word ''soccer'' rather than football? The club is in a good place, everyone pulling together as one, stop trying to rock the boat. ”

I am a Banana commented “Who really cares if he doesn''t like football, he lives in norfolk so why not just get off his back and let him write what he wants!

Dogger wrote ...” so no need to dig up old quotes from old books!!”

You may now claim that your intention was to reasoned debate his role on the board. If you wanted to discuss his role, why not say so rather than simply leave a quotation? Someone of a less charitable disposition than myself may doubt the veracity of your new post.

Nevertheless taking your new point at face value, if your intention was to have a balanced and reasoned debate, your OP was very poorly designed and unlikely to achieve this end. It has spawned, on this and a sister thread, some unnecessarily unpleasant remarks about someone who as far as I can see has only done good for the club.

For someone that has demonstrated, on more than one occasion on this thread alone, a rather smug sense of being superior to fellow posters*, you really need to communicate your intentions more clearly.

*As demonstrated by “Is there anyone out there who understands how to use capital letters? If so, could I have an educated response?” + “At least he''s got a brain”

[quote user="Stan Ley"]I don''t think you understand the original poster''s intentions. Are you seriously suggesting he wants the the club to fail because of the passage he quoted from Fry''s autobiography? The original thread topic is a good one where Dylanisabaddog raises an an interesting point. What has Fry actually brought to the party since he accepted the directorship? Yes he wears a green & yellow scarf & mixes with lots of "celebrities".Does he really love "the game" or

is it more a love affair with Norfolk?  He certainly has a love of

snooker based upon the dozens of twitter posts during the recent World

Snooker championships. Does he have the same passion for soccer? I don''t have the answer to that one but nevertheless much more worthy of debating than some of the dross seen recently on this forum.
You are right that you or I do not have a clear understanding of his role within the club. Is it to bring in extra investment? Is to raise the profile? My impression to date has not been particularly favourable. However I may be proved wrong in time. Hopefully so. If you would prefer to turn your attention to the speculation of future purchases then please enjoy yourself. This forum is currently bursting with nonsense regarding Crouch, Klose, Owen and various others. If that''s your bag'' then have fun.[/quote]I really don''t get this obsession some people have with what Stephen Fry may or may not be contributing to the club. How can your impression of his work to date be either favourable or unfavourable when you admit you have no idea what his role within the club is? What does it matter whether he is a late convert to the game of football or even whether he prefers watching snooker.We win together and we lose together. Anybody who has paid any attention to Paul Lambert over the past couple of seasons would realise that. Stephen Fry is part of that winning set up and I''m happy with that.

Shack Attack wrote.."obsession some people have with what Stephen Fry may or not be contributing to the club"Obsession? My 1st post in connection with Fry. Obsession? I think not.

Shack, whilst I would not necessarily specify either Stan or Dylan as being part of this cohort, you are right in suggesting that there is some sort of anti-Fry "thing" going on.

There is evidence in the posts on the board that it is at least partly driven by his alleged recreational drug activities and/ or homophobia but there is also an underlying feeling that some fans (and directors) are more "genuine" than others.

I find it difficult to understand why fans should turn against each other at the worst of times, why on earth people should want to post negative at present, at one of the most optimistic moments of our recent history, is totally bewildering.

Can''t some people just enjoy the moment without casting aspersions on others?

[quote user="First Wizard"]

A criminal and class A drug user like Fry should not be a director of a family orintated club like CITY......period!

Tweet that.

[/quote]Amen!Lord forbid us fans become a bunch of...

Middle-aged...

Drugged up...

Gay''s...

... Slightly on the porkish side, like Vicarage Road on a Saturday night.

And it will all be down to Mr Fry, and that damned quote that has seen Carrow Road become the most renowned crack den this side of the equator.

Fact is, he''s been in the public eye for over 30 years now, and he''s been seen fitting enough for the nation as an icon, so much so he is described in the most innocent terms (or at least by what the BBC pertains to be) as a ''National Treasure''.At what point does the football fanatic demographic command this great sense of moral and ethical sensitivity, lacking the same thick skin that Harry Potter followers, Classic FM listeners... etc. have in dealing with Fry and his profane and shocking ways? Y''know, that group commonly noted for its anti-semitism, homophobia, history with assembled acts of violence, alcoholism, domestic abuse... etc.. I guess cocaine has always been that ''one step too far'', ey?I think it''s fair to say, for better or worse, kids will learn a lot more from their Dads and other adults at the football, than they will from a brief quotation stated in the papers (in the Daily Mail, none other than the tabloids answer to CBeebies of course) from someone with a remote connection via their partial involvement with the club they support.

[quote user="John"][quote user="First Wizard"]

Tweet that.

[/quote]Amen!Lord forbid us fans become a bunch of...

Middle-aged...

Drugged up...

Gay''s...

... Slightly on the porkish side, like Vicarage Road on a Saturday night.

And it will all be down to Mr Fry, and that damned quote that has seen Carrow Road become the most renowned crack den this side of the equator.

Fact is, he''s been in the public eye for over 30 years now, and he''s been seen fitting enough for the nation as an icon, so much so he is described in the most innocent terms (or at least by what the BBC pertains to be) as a ''National Treasure''.At what point does the football fanatic demographic command this great sense of moral and ethical sensitivity, lacking the same thick skin that Harry Potter followers, Classic FM listeners... etc. have in dealing with Fry and his profane and shocking ways? Y''know, that group commonly noted for its anti-semitism, homophobia, history with assembled acts of violence, alcoholism, domestic abuse... etc.. I guess cocaine has always been that ''one step too far'', ey?I think it''s fair to say, for better or worse, kids will learn a lot more from their Dads and other adults at the football, than they will from a brief quotation stated in the papers (in the Daily Mail, none other than the tabloids answer to CBeebies of course) from someone with a remote connection via their partial involvement with the club they support.[/quote]In that i mean to ask why we, as a adults, don''t look to set that example ourselves, when that example is far more immediate to the younger generations than the rubbish that emits from the Daily Mail? I''m sure as hell no one i knew at school gave two-hoots about what came out of the Mail when i was at the age of 5.It''s this lack of trying to set an example or promote education in these very relative aspects of life (set by in this example) by the common man that has us willfully conceding our liberties to government, and in that, any sense of real moral responsiblity and understanding.This almost ''fashionable'' vilification of Stephen Fry serves no more than a classic example of those looking to defer responsibility by any means necessary; leading me to ask of the ''Fry haters'' isn''t it about time you grew the fudge up!?If Fry is considered any threat, it is born only out of an inferiority complex over the authority of ones opinion and intellect unto those they believe their influence presides over. And more than anything, it''s just immature.

[quote user="Stan Ley"]Badger writes "Against all the odds, we have just secured promotion back to the premiership and for some unknown reason, someone has to call into question the motivation of one of the board members based upon an interpretation of one line of a book!

Neither they, nor I have a clear understanding of the person''s role for the club but hey, lets assume the worst just to play safe? It couldn''t possibly be anything to do with interest in the club or the region could it? There must be a secret reason, a dark conspiracy, no doubt involving millions being syphoned from the club...

Let''s not enjoy the moment and the speculation about future purchases instead lets cast around for someone who isn''t as pure as us; someone that might not love the club in the right way; lets dismiss anyone who has not attended as many games as I have as a glory hunter...

How some people love the club to fail, so that they get the chance to really vent their spleen".

I don''t think you understand the original poster''s intentions. Are you seriously suggesting he wants the the club to fail because of the passage he quoted from Fry''s autobiography?

The original thread topic is a good one where Dylanisabaddog raises an an interesting point.

What has Fry actually brought to the party since he accepted the directorship? Yes he wears a green & yellow scarf & mixes with lots of "celebrities".

Does he really love "the game" or is it more a love affair with Norfolk?  He certainly has a love of snooker based upon the dozens of twitter posts during the recent World Snooker championships. Does he have the same passion for soccer? I don''t have the answer to that one but nevertheless much more worthy of debating than some of the dross seen recently on this forum.

You are right that you or I do not have a clear understanding of his role within the club. Is it to bring in extra investment? Is to raise the profile? My impression to date has not been particularly favourable. However I may be proved wrong in time. Hopefully so.

If you would prefer to turn your attention to the speculation of future purchases then please enjoy yourself. This forum is currently bursting with nonsense regarding Crouch, Klose, Owen and various others. If that''s your bag'' then have fun.

[/quote]

I agree with what you say about the other threads Stan. Each to their own and I don''t go on those threads telling all and sundry that they don''t interest me like some others do on these threads.

Anyway, my point here is that I''m a bit suspicious about some of the questions being asked about Fry and what he brings to the party. At least Wiz is up front with his views, or sort of! I''m suspicious that the a lot of the comments about him bringing nothing to the table are a smokescreen for something else.

We have a director called Stephan Phillips. He''s been here for nearly two years and I don''t have a clue what he brings to the table. I assume he brings something worthwhile because since he has been involved we''ve had nothing but success. But there seems no great need to find out what he does do or whether he invested any dosh. Well certainly not on this messageboard anyway.

So I don''t really understand why it''s important to know more about Fry than Phillips.

[quote user="haisbrohacker"]

Perhaps Mr Fry has been lurking on this forum and the mass debating that occurs on tiresome subjects has blunted his enthusiasm along with the thought that Mr Valentine could in fact be an infamous poster on the Pink Un.

H[/quote]However much he might like to mass debate himself, I wouldn''t think Mr Fry gives a toss about the high levels of mass debating pursued by some posters on here.

[quote user="John"]I think it''s fair to say, for better or worse, kids will learn a lot more from their Dads and other adults at the football, than they will from a brief quotation stated in the papers (in the Daily Mail, none other than the tabloids answer to CBeebies of course) from someone with a remote connection via their partial involvement with the club they support.In that i mean to ask why we, as a adults, don''t look to set that example ourselves, when that example is far more immediate to the younger generations than the rubbish that emits from the Daily Mail? I''m sure as hell no one i knew at school gave two-hoots about what came out of the Mail when i was at the age of 5.It''s this lack of trying to set an example or promote education in these very relative aspects of life (set by in this example) by the common man that has us willfully conceding our liberties to government, and in that, any sense of real moral responsiblity and understanding.This almost ''fashionable'' vilification of Stephen Fry serves no more than a classic example of those looking to defer responsibility by any means necessary; leading me to ask of the ''Fry haters'' isn''t it about time you grew the fudge up!?If Fry is considered any threat, it is born only out of an inferiority complex over the authority of ones opinion and intellect unto those they believe their influence presides over. And more than anything, it''s just immature.[/quote]Excellent post John.

[quote user="SPat"]He''s gay, rich and bright - all things which send certain people into paroxysms of anxiety
[/quote]

You forgot "and a non Tory", possibly his greatest crime of all.

What this boils down to imo is.  If you''re the type that fawn over celeb culture as though they''re some kind of modern day saint that can do no wrong.  Mr Fry is a wonderful man that oozes charm that helps propel Norwich City''s brand world wide, or. You don''t, and just see him as a dead weight that does nothing more than anybody else could do. And if it was a fan on the board who''d twittered (twitted for an example) about having doing numerous lines of snort on a night out.  They''d have their arses kicked off the board asap.