Sign in to follow this  
dylanisabaddog

Stephen Fry autobiography

Quote from Fry''s autobiography (funny, witty and revealing, according to The Mail on Sunday)

Mr Valentine was kind and cardiganned and very interested in my views on cricket. He concluded that while Botham could swing the ball, his line and length were too erratic. Of Latin and Greek there was no discussion.  Nor thankfully, of soccer.

He obviously hates football, sack the board. sack lambert. turn Carrow Road into a Caravan club site.

[quote user="birchfest"]He obviously hates football, sack the board. sack lambert. turn Carrow Road into a Caravan club site.
[/quote]

Is there anyone out there who understands how to use capital letters?  If so, could I have an educated response?

[quote user="dylanisabaddog"]

[quote user="birchfest"]He obviously hates football, sack the board. sack lambert. turn Carrow Road into a Caravan club site.[/quote]

Is there anyone out there who understands how to use capital letters?  If so, could I have an educated response?

[/quote]i kNOW hoW to uSe theM properLY  [:P]

Sorry, I thought this was the pink''un forum, not my year 6 SATS paper.... but come on, what is the point of this post? To stire up some anti-Fry feeling. Perhaps the guy he was with was American, and it was a reference to the use of the word ''soccer'' rather than football? The club is in a good place, everyone pulling together as one, stop trying to rock the boat.

[quote user="birchfest"]Sorry, I thought this was the pink''un forum, not my year 6 SATS paper.... but come on, what is the point of this post? To stire up some anti-Fry feeling. Perhaps the guy he was with was American, and it was a reference to the use of the word ''soccer'' rather than football? The club is in a good place, everyone pulling together as one, stop trying to rock the boat. [/quote]You have to admit Fry is neither use or ornament.

[quote user="The Å¿hroud of Turin"][quote user="birchfest"]Sorry, I thought this was the pink''un forum, not my year 6 SATS paper.... but come on, what is the point of this post? To stire up some anti-Fry feeling. Perhaps the guy he was with was American, and it was a reference to the use of the word ''soccer'' rather than football? The club is in a good place, everyone pulling together as one, stop trying to rock the boat.
[/quote]

You have to admit Fry is neither use or ornament.
[/quote]

He''s brought us good luck though!![:)]

[quote user="Herman "]

[quote user="The Å¿hroud of Turin"][quote user="birchfest"]Sorry, I thought this was the pink''un forum, not my year 6 SATS paper.... but come on, what is the point of this post? To stire up some anti-Fry feeling. Perhaps the guy he was with was American, and it was a reference to the use of the word ''soccer'' rather than football? The club is in a good place, everyone pulling together as one, stop trying to rock the boat. [/quote]You have to admit Fry is neither use or ornament. [/quote]

He''s brought us good luck though!![:)]

[/quote]He must''ve sent it via Royal Mail as he didn''t do it in person[;)]

I wonder if international and well respected celebrity actor, writer, comedian and networker Stephen, has attracted any interest through his plethora of worldwide connections; from some awfully rich and interested luvvies or celebrideeeez for them to chip in a few bob for the NCFC cause - or actually convert/encouraged any of his loyal and truly devoted ''twatter'' followers to support the glorious NCFC?

Maybe.....maybe not?

He''s a very bizzy man........and I do like it when he makes the occasional appearance at Carra.......Hopefully a bit more, now that we''re mixin'' with the big boyz.....

I don''t mind Mr Fry......He''s a canny bloke.....

Because we all have an intimate knowledge of everything he does for the club?

I doubt McNally would accept any dead weight. If Fry wasn''t doing anything to help the club he wouldn''t be on the board.

[quote user="Mahogany"]Because we all have an intimate knowledge of everything he does for the club? I doubt McNally would accept any dead weight. If Fry wasn''t doing anything to help the club he wouldn''t be on the board.[/quote]

Do you think our Chief Exec and Chairman suggested to our majority shareholding duo and good friend of Mr Fry....."Hey, why not invite your good chum Stephen onto the NCFC board?....

Or, do you think it might of been the other way round? 

[quote user="Mahogany"]

Because we all have an intimate knowledge of everything he does for the club?

I doubt McNally would accept any dead weight. If Fry wasn''t doing anything to help the club he wouldn''t be on the board.

[/quote]

--

"...accept any deadweight..."

You can''t seriously think McNally has a veto on Smith and Jones''s choice of directors, either initially or once they''ve joined the board. That isn''t the way it works.

Who really cares if he doesn''t like football, he lives in norfolk so why not just get off his back and let him write what he wants! (and it was probably someone else writing it for him)...someone says thats a BIOGRAPHY well even Autobiographys are written by others [y]

Quote from Fry''s autobiography (funny, witty and revealing, according to The Mail on Sunday)

Mr Valentine was kind and cardiganned and very interested in my views on cricket. He concluded that while Botham could swing the ball, his line and length were too erratic. Of Latin and Greek there was no discussion.  Nor thankfully, of soccer.

[/quote]

Perhaps Mr Fry has been lurking on this forum and the mass debating that occurs on tiresome subjects has blunted his enthusiasm along with the thought that Mr Valentine could in fact be an infamous poster on the Pink Un.

H

[/quote]

If we''re going to get technical here, this quote is completely taken out of context. There is nothing to suggest that he doesn''t like football, just that he didn''t want to talk soccer with this Mr. Valentine.

As someone mentioned before the use of the word "soccer" could imply that he was talking to an American, so perhaps he just can''t bear to hear our beautiful game called by its Americanised name.

Or there could be a number of other reasons he didn''t want to talk about it, maybe he''d already spent the evening talking about it and didn''t want another convo. Perhaps he feared he''d have to explain its intricacies and wasn''t sure he had enough knowledge. Perhap this Mr. Valentine is one of those know-it-all types who remembers every stat from the year dot and so is an utter bore to talk to.

Let''s not get on Fry''s back over this, the one thing we do know is that he loves this club and that''s good enough for me!

Eurgh, I hate it when my attempts a quoting things just sees a large amount of HTML on the page, apologies for that.

On a uni computer so have no choice on browser. But you should use Chrome, it''s faster than Firefox!

[quote user="Harry"]Chrome isn''t good on here. [;)][/quote]

That''s the knowledge you get from having 1000 more posts than me I guess!

I seriously do think that McNally would tell Delia to get rid of Fry if he wasn''t doing anything for us and I seriously do believe if he wanted Fry gone, he would be.

Delia etc are no fools, they know how important McNally has been in our transformation.

I must admit I''d have thought I''d see him mention us more on Twitter than he does - I think I''ve seen 1 ''tweet'' about us so far. Not saying there''s anything bad in that, but just thought as a supporter aswell, I''d have thought he''d give us a wee bit more coverage on there.

[quote user="Mahogany"]I seriously do think that McNally would tell Delia to get rid of Fry if he wasn''t doing anything for us and I seriously do believe if he wanted Fry gone, he would be. Delia etc are no fools, they know how important McNally has been in our transformation.[/quote]

Nah......They certainly now know how important Mr Mac is.....But, Delia and Micky truly wanted Stephen their Buddy on Board - and whether the CE thought it was a positive, negative or counter-productive appointment.....I think he would just accept it, and just carry on going about his business....     

[quote user="Mahogany"]I seriously do think that McNally would tell Delia to get rid of Fry if he wasn''t doing anything for us and I seriously do believe if he wanted Fry gone, he would be. Delia etc are no fools, they know how important McNally has been in our transformation.[/quote]

--

Based on a certain amount of knowledge acquired over the years of how the boardrooms of multi-million pound companies operate I can only repeat that your view is nonsense. Someone in McNally''s position simply doesn''t have that kind of power. Some influence, yes, But no more than that. Bowkett''s view would carry more weight but that would only go so far.

Smith and Jones brought Fry in for a reason, and while they are happy with him and while that reason (whatever that might be) continues to be relevant he''ll stay.

Soccer isn''t an American word. It came from Oxford Uni in the 1890s. It comes from Association, and was originally spelled ''socca'' and ''socker''. Just like rugby which became ''rugger'' (God bless those toffs who love the -er suffix). These words were used to differentiate between the two forms of football and is probably why American football is still known as football today.

erm Twitter perhaps?

Fry: Fu**ing national treasure and lover of all things Norfollk.

+

Twitter: Fastest growing and most relevant social media service used around the world.

= Increased awareness in the conciousness of literally millions of people on all over the place.

It may not directly lead to new investment but it certainly can''t harm.

I for one certainly applaud the approach taken by the club in this instance, the man is obviously such a passionate fan. As a fan who had been exiled for several years until recently it made a bloody nice change from the bigoted views of my Club and County I had to suffer from other ''football fans''.

Up the Fry!

I have links with his family and i know from past conversations with certain people that he was a late developer in becoming a "soccer" fan.

He is now though, has been for the last few seasons so no need to dig up old quotes from old books!!

Do you think the knives come out because he''s a bit horses hoof? I mean we don''t want that sort on our board do we? It''s bad enough being owned by a woman! Whatever next! I''m off to read my Daily Mail now[8-|]