Sign in to follow this  
Campbell

Norwich City Best XI

Every member of our squad is fit; Holt is back, Safri is back, Svensson is back...and yes, Gary Doherty has promised not to hurt anyone in Green and Yellow...

So what is our best XI and formation?

I''d go with 4-3-3:

Green

Helveg
Charlton
Fleming
Doherty

Bentley
Francis
Jonson

Huckerby
Ashton
Svensson

Ok, so it''s very attacking, but we need to win as many games as possible, no matter who it''s against. Jonson can operate well defensively and Huckerby can drop into midfield if we''re under a bit of pressure. I''ve gone for Svensson ahead of McKenzie, simply because if Svensson gets a chance, I''d back him to take it, where as Leon is still a bit hit and miss. I believe Svensson''s intelligence with Ashton''s raw talent could be deadly, with Huckerby and Bentley supplying the ammunition. Also, with this team, we''d be fairly comfortable at set-pieces. Helveg over Edworthy simply because he is a better right back than Edworthy. Don''t get me wrong, Edworthy has a great work ethic and will run all day, but Helveg gives us more quality on and off the ball in that position, and is an all round more calming, assured influence.

Your ideal Norwich City XI and formation?

I like that formation as Huckerby can always drop back a bit to fill in that left mid role. Think there may be too many attacking players to ever see this happen but I reckon against teams that are less lethal going forward we could have quite a bit of success with it.

not bad!

green

helveg   doherty  flem   charlton

safri

bentley    francis    

hux

jonson     ashton

we need a playmaker like safri. leaving out eddie is tough but helveg maybe just nudges it. as well as jonson - maybe nudges it ahead of svens

Campbell - RU Kevin Keegan in disguise??? Reminds me of his approach when managing the toon army - score so many it doesnt matter how many we conceed! It would be fun to watch as I am sure that most games with this team will have lots of goals - not sure how many points we would get though!

My main concern with the 4-3-3 is that we simply do not have the solidity in central defence to keep a clean sheet, which puts tremendous pressure on the strike force to score.

Very rarely have we dominated midfield in a game and with a 4-3-3 we will be run over by the majority of prem teams in the manner that charlton did.

So as always I come back to a 4-2-3-1 which would suit us well this season, especially with the players we have. I think this formation would give us players in the middle, cover for the defence and when all fit fleet footed strike minded players to provide support in numbers to the striker.

I will start from the front with Deano ''Brian'' Ashton leading the way - he has strength and an ability to hold the ball up, combined with an ability to hit the target from any range.

The three behind have a free hand to roam across the pitch and interchange positions, as long as they work back to support the defence but get forward to use their strengths. Bentley should primarily sit off Ashtons shoulder, with Jonson and Hux wide of him.

We then need two deep lying midfielders who act as a protector of the defence and one at atime is encourage to get forward when we are putting the pressure on going forward, that man being Francis. His partner, from the current squad, probably has to be Safri although he still has a lot to prove. He has performed best when being the anchor in midfield and his lack of pace is suited to the holding role. Neither Holt nor Mullers have impressed, with Helveg, out of position, performing far better than either of them there.

Its the back for that I have most problems with. I am still not convinced by Doc but he is winning me round as a centre half and is first name on. At right back there Helveg performance against Liverpool showed us that the club do have a defender in the squad who can excel at prem level; to me it did not just show eddy how to defend but it was the city defensive performance of the season - we cannot waste him, injuries excepted, but not playing him enywhere else. Ideally we need a new partner for Francis and loan target number one.

Who play between the two and partner Doc? We have 3 options. Despite the article in last nights Evening News Flem has not been ''superb'' all season (NO defence that has conceeded as many goals as we have can have defenders who have been superb, and that is the case here too). Flem has performed to HIS best ability I agree but that has fallen short of the necessary standard. Charlie did well at centre back but I do worry about pace when partnered with Doc, however he is a better option than Flem. Shacks has the potential but clearly we need to see more to know whether he can do what we need in the premier. To me it comes down to a choice between experience and pace. Most of the soft goals conceeded are not down to pace or height but lack of concentration and actual defending ability and formations. As such I can understand WHY Worthy has left Shacks on the sidelines, and as such I would go with Charlie, especially as Charlie has looked no better than Drury in the last couple of games at left back. Shacks is the alternative if not a loan target signing is needed.

Which brings us to left back and despite the public drubbing, and Charlies recent performances show just how exposed the left back spot has been this season, I have seen enough of Drury to know that he is far from the worst defender we currently have and is solid enough to get the left back slot. He is a far better performer than Brennan.

With Svennson, Leon, Crow, Jarvis, Mullers, Flem & Eddy we have a strong bench and compe

Green

Edworthy Doherty Charlton Drury

Jonson Francis Brennan

McKenzie Huckerby

Ashton

I think Brennan and Jonson provide good defensive cover to the full backs which would allow us to play a more attacking line up and avoid the dilemna as to who partners Francis in a 4-4-2.

I agree that Charlton looked better in the centre and Drury should improve with the captaincy burden removed. i can''t exclude Doherty is has played very well there so reluctantly it has to be at Flem''s expense.

yes, helveg played well vs Liverpool but who was the Liverpool winger! Basing my opinion on performances in a yellow shirt (rather than Denmark) I''d still stick with Eddy (sorry THFC).

I think with Leon and Hucks running at defences and Ashton knocking the goals in (fingers crossed) we could get those points we desperately need!

mmmmm... i am looking forward to the day where i can discuss lineups with fully fit players.

heres my fav

Green

Helveg(on full form)  Doherty  Charlton  Drury (on top form)

Bentley  Francis  Holt (on top form)
                                                 Huckerby

Ashton    Svennson

Subs. eddy, jonson, fleming, leon, safri

when i say top form i mean players that i think could be really good in the prem from what they showed in div 1, or players like Helveg that sometimes play exeptional

Green

Helveg     Doc        Shacks         Chalton

Damo                   Safri

Jonson              McVeigh            Hux

Ashton     

Subs: Ward, McKenzie (for going 442), Drury, Flem/Eddie, Holt

Surely this is the best team ever

The badger has spoken

i would go with.

Green

Eddy Charlton Doherty Drury

Bentley Francis Safri Jonson

Huckerby Ashton

subs Ward flem shacks holt leon

Well, i would go for.....

Green

Helveg     Doherty     Shackell     Charlton

Bentley     Francis      Safri       Jonson

Huckerby

Ashton

Think Charlton is too short to play in the centre of defence. Harsh on Fleming, but Shackell has that extra height and pace. Safri is in because he is the best of the rest. Another, quality, center mid is needed i feel.

Green

Helveg  Flemming Doherty Charlton

Francis            Safri

Bentley

Johnson                      Huckerby

Ashton

Subs. Ward, Edworthy, Drury, Mcviegh, Svensson