Sign in to follow this  
Yellow Wal

Birmingham's released players

An interesting list of six released by Birmingham, Kevin Phillips, Sebastian Larsson, Lee Bowyer, Maik Taylor, Martin Jiranek and Stuart Parnaby.

The interesting ones for me are Larsson and Taylor.

Larsson because of his quality and versatility and Taylor as the experienced keeper we need as a back up for Ruddy and the man who could give Declan Rudd and Jed Steer the benefit of that vast experience.

Thoughts?

I think of those players, you''ve picked out the right 2. Larsson would be good for the right side of the diamond, and as you''ve said Taylor could be the 2nd choice keeper for next season.

They probably wouldnt be asking for much money either, which would also play into our hands.

Controversial on here i know but i reckon Bowyer could do a good job for us in our first season back in the Prem.

I said abuot Larsson before in the transfer talk thread, I would love him here, he''s our style of player and has a rather sweet free-kick that might come in handy!

Larsson would be a nice signing but he obviously wants mega bucks.

After that it''s only really players for backup purposes like Jiranek or Parnaby.

Lee Bowyer would probably still do a decent job.

Kevin Phillips has had his day and Maik Taylor was never any better than average anyway.

Larsson = no chance

Taylor = could do a job as back-up

Bowyer = would be decent to have in the squad for 1 season, still capable of playing at the top level and a useful player to help us see games out, plus he still gets 4 or 5 goals a season

Phillips = too old

Maik Taylor will be 40 this year - I personally think he is too old. Fair enough an experienced back up, but surely we can do better than him!

I''m never sure about buying released players from relegated teams. I''ve always thought Phillips was a good striker but seems to be over the hill and starting a media career judging by the fact I heard him on sky commentating a couple of times.

Don''t want to skeep starting new threads so how bout the players their local rivals just released?......

Villa release Carew, Pires and Reo-Coker. Carew is good but not young and hungry, Pires miles past his best but Reo-Coker for me would be a good signing!