Sign in to follow this  
NWC

Reality check needed on transfer targets.

I am amazed at some posters reaction to proposed transfer targets.

Do you really think Lambert/Macanally will gamble the financial future of the club on players that would cost 3-5 million per year on wages alone?

We are too financially retricted to do that - maybe in our 3rd season in the prem with ground expansions we could do this - but now is not the time.

I remember at the start of last season some were saying "How are we going to compete in the championship with League One players?"

Well PL and the team did the business.

Lets get behind PL and the players, whoever is bought in.

I was just going to post something similar.  Some people really, really need to get a grip on reality.  We need at least 7 players in.  They are not all going to be world beaters to a man, we need to improve the level of the squad, so young players like Vaughan fit that bill havin played and trained at a higher level than, well, our entire current strikeforce!People also need to stop the fixation with fees.  Vaughan, if its trus, is never going to cost us 2.5 million up front.  If he scores 10 goals and we stay up, then maybe those sort of add ons will reach 2.5 million, bu otherwise its madness to think Lambert would throw 2.5 million at a player offered to Crystal Palace for 750k.Last year people moaned about the players coming in, yet we won promotion with what, on paper was a relegation side of league on players.The sum is greater than the parts, surely after two seasons people should recognise that?Anyway, common sense out of the way, I  will leave those people moaning about Vaughan to scream "forward" every time we pass sideways next season....

Too goddamn right. I hate how Leeds fans etc always think they are better than they are and I think some of our fans will start thinking this because we''re promoted now. I''m in total agreement with you buddy and I cannot see players costing more than a few million coming here anyway. PL wants hard-working players here that are in it for the long haul and obviously has his budget too. There''s only so much he can get and any half decent player will have clubs sniffing around them that we''ve got to battle it out against.

I''m glad he''s trying to get them in early before Swansea or Reading get their windfall too and add to the competition in the market!

Well, I''ve believed the top of League 1 is of a very similar standard to the upper mid-table of the Championship (for the past few seasons at least). Judging that us, Leeds and Millwall all finished in the top half this year, it''s a good indication that is true. However, the difference to the Championship and Premiership is MASSIVE!!! Which inevitably we found out the last time we went up. Therefore, people who remember that are quite understandably nervous on preparing ourself - and not making another Ashton error again (£3.5 million well invested, but too late).

As people have quite rightly said on many of the threads, we all trust Paul Lambert to make the right decision. But don''t have a go at those others who are concerned. Surely a good forum, that makes ;)

For me, a lot of the fun next season is going to be watching unknown/little known/underrated/our players taking on, & perhaps surprising, the mopre familiar names. I really don''t want the usual suspects - even the good ones, like Long.It''s going to be emotional!OTBC!

"However, the difference to the Championship and Premiership is

MASSIVE!!! Which inevitably we found out the last time we went up.

Therefore, people who remember that are quite understandably nervous on

preparing ourself - and not making another Ashton error again (£3.5

million well invested, but too late)."In the main yes.  But watching the Norwich - Swansea game on Sky, half an hour after kick-off, I found that I wasn''t able to fast-forward to catch up as much as I usually would when I''m watching a delayed recording, even for a live Premiership match.  The reason for this is that both teams kept the ball on the pitch for much longer than you would normally find in the championship.  I''d argue that there is not that much of a difference between Norwich / Swansea, and teams like Sunderland, Wolves or the Baggies.  Possibly the difference is sharper concentration in defence / fewer errors, and possibly better use of set-pieces.  We won''t know until we play them.

I think the exasperation of some of us, is why some of you are pressing the panic button already.We have to build up a squad, needing at least 7 players apparently.  With that number to find, we will not be buying world beaters.  Its also frustrating that people believe the fees being bandied about, there is no way we are paying 2.5 million up front for Vaughan.People need a dose of reality in who we can afford.  Shan Long is one such player.  If Reading don''t go up, we are not going to pick him up for tuppence.  He will be in a bidding war, and with agents fees and addons, the purchasing club will end up paying at least 7 million quid for him, before wages.  Is that any more worth it?Lambert and McNally are not Doncaster and Worthington, that is all the reassurance you need to know.[quote user="Robornio"]Well, I''ve believed the top of League 1 is of a very similar standard to the upper mid-table of the Championship (for the past few seasons at least). Judging that us, Leeds and Millwall all finished in the top half this year, it''s a good indication that is true. However, the difference to the Championship and Premiership is MASSIVE!!! Which inevitably we found out the last time we went up. Therefore, people who remember that are quite understandably nervous on preparing ourself - and not making another Ashton error again (£3.5 million well invested, but too late).

As people have quite rightly said on many of the threads, we all trust Paul Lambert to make the right decision. But don''t have a go at those others who are concerned. Surely a good forum, that makes ;)[/quote]