Sign in to follow this  
 Badger

James Vaughan to Norwich?

think most points have been discussed.

(1) as a young player highly rated.

(2) Injuries have stalled his progression

(3) has played quite a bit of regular football recently

(4) made a good impression at whichever team he has been at

Personally for 750k that would seem like great business, yes I still think we would be looking at another striker. We do still need a stand out striker to play alongside Holt, but Vaughan would be a very handy addition.

Love that people don''t ''rate him'' already at 22 or however old he is. People didn''t rate Crofts and look how he turned out. Or Russell Martin or even Grant Holt and Simeon in other cases. We could sign any seemingly cr*p player and I think PL would get the most from them and change our opinions. Let''s just see what happens with this one before we go crazy.. he''s already talked about 7 players so it doesn''t mean he''d be the only one. I honestly think at that age and with that hunger it''d be sensible to add this kind of player to push our other players on. I''m sure PL will try to get experience and someone from the Prem as well (maybe a loan?) but it''s not a bad start. Just remember last year when he signed players we hadn''t heard of (except Surman mainly) and look how it turned out. If anyone can spot a player it''s God himself 

I think the other thing is resale value. If he bangs in even a handful at Prem level he''s suddenly a few million or more because he''s young

I think he would be a great signing! Don''t really know what to believe right now... Lambert has got a great knack of signing goor and hungry players...

Judging by comments from Merseyside, it looks likely thyat he may come to us.

From all accounts he is a Lambert type player - young, strong, willing, quick. PL was certainly interested iun him previously.

The only slight concern is his injury record - he has had so many unrelated injuries. The fact that many of the injuries were very different may be good however. If there is a particular recurring injury, say knees or hamstrings, you would have to wonder how many games he will miss.

[quote user="Smudger"][quote user="alysha"]if this turns out to be true, does anyone think the CMS rumour that he will sign after the play off final still holds any substance?[/quote]

I hope not.... as I don''t think he would add anything to what we have already and that we can sign far better for the money upfront!
[/quote]

My thinking too Smudger, If we are looking to spend £2 or 3 Mil on a striker then CMS is not that player in my view, there are far better younger than him, and besides that, The way Posh went about it I wouldn''t want to do any deals with them again, Hope Hudders stuff them,    

If this happens I think its a shrewd signing. Yes there is a concern over the injury record but for £750K its not that big a risk. That is not a huge sum of money for us now so if it doesn''t work out we haven''t wasted multi millions. He''s young, got pace (which we need), seems a good character and will be keen to prove he can hack it at the top level. I think Lambert will bring in 2 strikers this summer and to get one of them for £750K is good business. Means we probably can spend £3-4 million on the other one if need be.

[quote user="crabbycanary"][quote user="evertoniancolufan"]this came from someone In The Know on grandoldteam''s forum and he''s not often wrong so I expect this will happen. I really like Vaughany and its a shame things didn''t work out for him at Everton, glad he''s getting Premier League football (though not glad its with you lot) but a fee rising to £2m is brilliant for us[/quote]

Oh dear, still bitter then?[/quote]

yes

[quote user="crabbycanary"][quote user="evertoniancolufan"]this came from someone In The Know on grandoldteam''s forum and he''s not often wrong so I expect this will happen. I really like Vaughany and its a shame things didn''t work out for him at Everton, glad he''s getting Premier League football (though not glad its with you lot) but a fee rising to £2m is brilliant for us[/quote]

Oh dear, still bitter then?[/quote]

yes

[quote user="evertoniancolufan"][quote user="crabbycanary"][quote user="evertoniancolufan"]this came from someone In The Know on grandoldteam''s forum and he''s not often wrong so I expect this will happen. I really like Vaughany and its a shame things didn''t work out for him at Everton, glad he''s getting Premier League football (though not glad its with you lot) but a fee rising to £2m is brilliant for us[/quote] Oh dear, still bitter then?[/quote] yes[/quote]

You Don''t honestly believe that you could be in the prem now had we not convince''d Lambert to join a superior club than Colly do you, Colchester is a Paint pot club and no higher. 

Everton fans on twitter.......

Hello, police please. Yes, I''d like to report a robbery. James Vaughan joining Norwich City for £750000.

[quote user="Salopian"]Judging by comments from Merseyside, it looks likely thyat he may come to us. From all accounts he is a Lambert type player - young, strong, willing, quick. PL was certainly interested iun him previously. The only slight concern is his injury record - he has had so many unrelated injuries. The fact that many of the injuries were very different may be good however. If there is a particular recurring injury, say knees or hamstrings, you would have to wonder how many games he will miss.[/quote]

I''m no expert but I honestly think a lot of the injuries were due to his all-action playing style. Someone said he gives 110% in every game (sounds like PL type of player) and I think that some the injuries (shoulder injury for instance) are just down to bad luck and how he ''puts his shoulder to the wheel'' as PL would say. Like people have said though, anything around 750k is absolutely nothing really considering his age and that he''s still made an impact at Palace this season

[quote user="Mervmeister"]Everton fans on twitter....... Hello, police please. Yes, I''d like to report a robbery. James Vaughan joining Norwich City for £750000.[/quote]

That''s rich coming from scousers! lol.

P.S no offence to scousers I''m joking

He''s a gamble but a calculated (and failry cheap) one just like a lot of Lamberts signings. Whitbread and Surman both had a history of injury problems but they''ve come good in the end.

[quote user="John"][quote user="Smudger"][quote user="Ncfc"]Vaughn , Jackson ,Holt and Martin , that still looks like a forward line that could do with some help to me .[/quote]With the signing of another striker in the Holt mould (Graham, Long, Morison), I think that we would be fine upfront.Would like to know where Borini will end up after this summer too if Swansea fail in the play-offs.[/quote]I''d actually be a little despondent if we got Morison.A player that will be 28 after the first month of the season, that had scored 14 goals from open play in 40 games in the Championship. http://services.pinkun.com/forums/pinkun/cs/forums/AddPost.aspx?PostID=2548729&Quote=True And when it comes to being a replacement for Holt, apart from simply the minimal age gap with his ''replacee'' when compared with the aforementioned examples of Graham (25) and Long (24), and how he doesn''t measure up to any of them in the goals column, the dynamics of his game as a striker don''t tally well with the other 3, as is seen in this table (Holt 14 / Long 10 / Graham 9 / Morison 5).He''s little more than a decent striker at Championship level, and most sensible Millwall fans would testify to that.I honestly don''t think he''d be an improvement on what we''ve got by any stretch, let alone achieve any sort of parity (of lesser quality even).[/quote]Are those assist stats from this season John?If so some interesting stuff there and it has reminded me of one or two individuals that I would like us to take a look at should we be able to interest them at the right price.Lewis McGugan who I am a big fan of and who would be brilliant on the right hand side of our midfield (but would no doubt cost quite a bit too), I like Chris Cohen at Forest too.Although there is obviously the Scottish link with Lambert/Livingston, I would be surprised to see if there is any truth in the Snodgrass rumour, as he has another 3 years to run on his contract and I think that we could get far better for the money at this moment in time.Chris Eagles (who must be up for contract renewal if he hasn''t yet signed a new one) would be well worth taking a look at.  Plenty of class, creative and can put his foot in and has some Premiership experience along withbeing brought through the ranks at Old Trafford too.Not sure how is contract stands at the minute, but I reckon that Leicester''s Andy King might be worth taking a look at.  Darren Pratley if Swansea stay down, but I think that Scott Sinclair will cost too much with a couple of years remaining on his contract and other interested clubs.  Millwall''s James Henry and Watfords Jordan Mutch are also worth keeping tabs on for me.Upfront, I am happy with the rumours surrounding James Vaughan and would like to get that deal done early at the rumoured price. It will also be well worth monitoring what happens with the Nicky Maynard situation this summer, as I think that his contract must be up for renewal.Failing that we need somebody else to win the ball in the air and challenge Holty for his place.  I think that Morison would be capable of that without being guranteed a starting place himself, although maybe a little pricey to fight for his place from the bench?  That is what we are aiming towards now though surely?  Is having quality options from the bench in all positions and for all types of games?  That is the level in class that we have now moved up to.I agree that Long and Graham are both possibly better than Morison, but both will also cost more and I don''t think anybody will be guaranteeing themselves a starting place upfront for us come the start of next season if we are to bring Vaughan in plus spend a fair bit on another striker.  Everybody will be fighting for their place and that''s the way it should be.

A couple of people have mentioned that Surman is like Whitbread in having had a history of injury before joining.

This seems to be a complete myth, and Surman had no such history before he came to Norwich (debut for Southampton in 2006 & then made 133 appearances before leaving in 2009). After moving to Wolves, he simply wasn''t picked to play.

Moving on, Vaughan looks to me a typical Lambert signing. Gives defenders a hard time (as CMS would), and has age on his side. Very pacy, and both Palace & Everton fans alike seem to have some good things to say about him. With an injury-free run, this could turn out to be a very shrewd signing.

Personally think he will be a good player, been unlucky when you think he has never really been able to settle anywhere and challenge for a first team place for a whole season including pre season.

I think it''s worth a punt, still young and hungry and someone who has potential.

I don''t read into player''s goalscoring record too much, strikers in my opinion shouldn''t always be judged on goals. Chris Martin prime example, I thought he was good last year his build up play was brilliant.Although Jackon''s form did see him out.

Still wonder whether it''s reliable though, not really much mention about him from the Norwich side of things, seems odd.

[quote user="CRAZY LEGS"]would expect it to be about 1m up front with add ons if we stay up, scores 20 goals, england call up etc[/quote]

If that turns out to be the deal it would be a shrewd bit of business.

If you speak to Wolves fans they will tell you that Surman was not injury prone, rather he was too slight and easily knocked off the ball.

They did, however, appreciate his skills. If he continues to develop with us, and perhaps ads a little muscle, he could be very useful in the Premiership.

[quote user="www.canaries.co.uk"]The two clubs have agreed the deal, Vaughan has agreed personal terms

and has passed a stringent medical and the relevant paperwork is now

awaiting final approval from the Football Association, the FA Premier

League and the Football League. [/quote]Leaving nothing to chance then.

[quote user="Norfolk Mustard"]At close of business today there''s nothing whatsoever about James Vaughan on Norwich''s official site...[/quote]

I must have talked it up - some news has just appeared!

Congratulations on getting Vaughan - the guy is a warrior - one of the hardest working players I''ve seen. Looking forward to seeing him back at Selhurst for our friendly next month - he will get a great reception!