Sign in to follow this  
 Badger

James Vaughan to Norwich?

I have no inside knowledge about anything, but came across this which suggests that Vaughan will be joining us for £750,000. The report makes it sound pretty settled - make of it what you will.

http://www.grandoldteam.com/news/transfer-news/2011/may/26/vaughan-norwich-bound?

If it''s true, he seems quite well thought of. Some nice things said...

http://www.grandoldteam.com/forum/threads/35716-Vaughan-Very-Close-to-joining-Norwich-City-...

i always seem to remember him scoring when playing for Everton but also always remember him getting injured loades. If we can keep him fit would be a pretty good signing in my opinion

I really hope this happens! Always thought he was excellent, if a bit unlucky.The general concensus among the Everton fans is refreshingly courteous towards both Vaughan and us (compares favourably to the average opinion of a so-called Liverpool or ManU supporter).Anywho, 7 thumbs-up!

Reading that page shows that they think of him highly and he seems like he could be a good striker to Holt. If he is as hard working as Holt it''ll be hard for opposition defences to cope.

[quote user="SnakepitCanary"]Reading that page shows that they think of him highly and he seems like he could be a good striker to Holt. If he is as hard working as Holt it''ll be hard for opposition defences to cope.[/quote]

More positive feedback from Everton site

"He has good aerial ability, terrific pace, a devastating eye for goal, excellent strength to hold off defenders, and a never-say-die attitude that makes him an exciting player to watch. "

H

It was mentioned several months ago that Lambert was interested in Vaughan.I think he would be an excellent signing and if we can secure a back up for Holt too, then we would have plenty of striking options to worry most teams.  Really hope this happens, as Vaughan appears to look an absolute bargain for around £750k.

Not really the first signing i was hoping for.  Yes hes got a lot of potential, but doesn''t fill me with a great deal of enthusiasm.  Hes definately got something to prove and if he can stay injury free then he could be good, but hes already had a couple of serious injuries, which is a bit of a concern.

Note that i haven''t judged him yet, just slightly underwhelmed, but in Lambert we trust...

[quote user="jed exodous"]

Not really the first signing i was hoping for.  Yes hes got a lot of potential, but doesn''t fill me with a great deal of enthusiasm.  Hes definately got something to prove and if he can stay injury free then he could be good, but hes already had a couple of serious injuries, which is a bit of a concern.

Note that i haven''t judged him yet, just slightly underwhelmed, but in Lambert we trust...

[/quote]

Last season many, including myself, were saying the same about Crofts. Have faith.

Very happy if this one comes off.

Also like to add that I won''t be questioning anyone Lambert signs this summer, I think he''s earnt mine and everyone''s total faith the past 2 years.

[quote user=" Badger"]If it''s true, he seems quite well thought of. Some nice things said...

http://www.grandoldteam.com/forum/threads/35716-Vaughan-Very-Close-to-joining-Norwich-City-...[/quote]Looks like it''s very genuine as none of their fans are questioning his information. I seem to remember Vaughan being tipped to be the next big England international 3 or 4 years a go but after a few injuries he seemed to just fall under the radar. I would be relatively happy with this signing although it remains to be seen if he can get in the team ahead of Jackson or indeed keep fit for a whole season, but I have also learned not to question Lamberts signings anymore, in Lambert we trust.

he has some quality - like leon osman he has prem class but can be a bit inconsistent and has been unlucky with injuries.

But as with whitbread lamber is prepared to take a little risk for some quality...

I guess so, but with all these figures banded about for pormotion, would be nice to get someone whos a bit more prolific.  19 goals in 100 games doesn''t fill me with great confidence.  Still, we''ll see, fingers crossed we can get the best out of him, as there is a decent player in there somewhere...

if this turns out to be true, does anyone think the CMS rumour that he will sign after the play off final still holds any substance?

Vaughn , Jackson ,Holt and Martin , that still looks like a forward line that could do with some help to me .

Young talent, injury blighted but now out to prove he is premire league.... Welcome aboard, time for some Lambert magic!

[quote user="alysha"]if this turns out to be true, does anyone think the CMS rumour that he will sign after the play off final still holds any substance?[/quote]I hope not.... as I don''t think he would add anything to what we have already and that we can sign far better for the money upfront!

[quote user="Ncfc"]Vaughn , Jackson ,Holt and Martin , that still looks like a forward line that could do with some help to me .[/quote]With the signing of another striker in the Holt mould (Graham, Long, Morison), I think that we would be fine upfront.Would like to know where Borini will end up after this summer too if Swansea fail in the play-offs.

Palace fan in peace

Vaughany is a quality signing -we would like to keep him here at palace next season but are realistic to know that premiership footy and wages will be too hard for him to turn down

Gives 100 per cent to the cause and has the ability to score goals although prone to miss chances. Not sure he is an improvement on Holt and co though!

Good luck next season - hope you stay up and send Colin down!

[quote user="Smudger"][quote user="Ncfc"]Vaughn , Jackson ,Holt and Martin , that still looks like a forward line that could do with some help to me .[/quote]With the signing of another striker in the Holt mould (Graham, Long, Morison), I think that we would be fine upfront.Would like to know where Borini will end up after this summer too if Swansea fail in the play-offs.[/quote]I''d actually be a little despondent if we got Morison.A player that will be 28 after the first month of the season, that had scored 14 goals from open play in 40 games in the Championship. And when it comes to being a replacement for Holt, apart from simply the minimal age gap with his ''replacee'' when compared with the aforementioned examples of Graham (25) and Long (24), and how he doesn''t measure up to any of them in the goals column, the dynamics of his game as a striker don''t tally well with the other 3, as is seen in this table (Holt 14 / Long 10 / Graham 9 / Morison 5).He''s little more than a decent striker at Championship level, and most sensible Millwall fans would testify to that.I honestly don''t think he''d be an improvement on what we''ve got by any stretch, let alone achieve any sort of parity (of lesser quality even).

[quote user="Smudger"][quote user="Ncfc"]Vaughn , Jackson ,Holt and Martin , that still looks like a forward line that could do with some help to me .[/quote]With the signing of another striker in the Holt mould (Graham, Long, Morison), I think that we would be fine upfront.Would like to know where Borini will end up after this summer too if Swansea fail in the play-offs.[/quote]Yes one of those names would strengthen the front line quite well , but you are looking at £4-5 million pound players there , also spend that type of fee on a striker and he wont expect to be sitting on the bench behind Holt .

this came from someone In The Know on grandoldteam''s forum and he''s not often wrong so I expect this will happen. I really like Vaughany and its a shame things didn''t work out for him at Everton, glad he''s getting Premier League football (though not glad its with you lot) but a fee rising to £2m is brilliant for us

Nice to see other fans coming onto our forum. Thanks for your input guys!

Vaughan looks to be a good addition, and if Paul Lambert is happy with him then thats all i need to know.

Holt, Jackson (I''ve always rated him higher than most people have) along with Vaughan and a quality striker will be a good mix up front.

Think the important signings are gonna have to be at the back. A top GK, 1 top CB, and definitely some back up there too.

P L will sort it out I''m sure, never had so much faith in a manager.

Sounds like a typical Lambo signing then. Potentially able and something to prove. If he can remain injury free and fulfill his potential, he could be a bargain signing.

[quote user="evertoniancolufan"]this came from someone In The Know on grandoldteam''s forum and he''s not often wrong so I expect this will happen. I really like Vaughany and its a shame things didn''t work out for him at Everton, glad he''s getting Premier League football (though not glad its with you lot) but a fee rising to £2m is brilliant for us[/quote]

Oh dear, still bitter then?