Sign in to follow this  
Ncfc26

Ben Foster

If Lambert feels we need another keeper he is probably going to want to leave birmingham now they are in the Championship. I should imagine he will need to take a pay cut to come.

Thoughts

Tin Hat on!!!!!!!!!!!!

I doubt Ben Foster is being paid much.

The only keeper i think we should be signing (unless Rudd and Steer aren''t actually any good) should be an experienced one, over 30 probably. I have no idea if Lambert thinks the same.

But as i see it, we have Ruddy who did well enough last season, who is fairly young. He at 24 could be potentially playing over 10 years for us now. But we also have Rudd and Steer, who are even younger. But only Rudd has very very limited first team experience, because both are under 21, neither go towards the 25 squad limit. So i expect one to go out on loan, to get first team action (this probably means League One or Two) But then really we want another keeper in as well, as only two keepers might become a bit precarious if an injury/suspension occurs.

I just think Ben Foster or Fraser Forster would be a step in the wrong direction. But then again i''m not manager, and if Lambert feels either would be the right man, then thats fine with me as well.

He''s a good keeper, and there are a lot of good keepers out there available for transfer or for free, but I still don''t see any reason to replace Ruddy and I don''t think Lambert will either. Sure an older keeper for some experience on the bench but we have more important things to spend our money on than someone like Foster (or the other Foster).

If Lambert wants 7 in and we have now have 6 of those to get. From what has been said it looks like we are after another striker so that leaves 5.

I''d say we need someone in place of Lansbury and Pacheco so that leave 3. We don''t have cover at right back so will need that so 2. We only have 3 cb''s so we''ll need at least 1 more of them. So 1 spot left, is a keeper that last spot? I doubt it. More likely its a winger, another cb or a defensive midfielder.

[quote user="ziggy"]nooooooooooooooo ![/quote]

any reason or do you just deal in one word answers

Despite their relegation Foster played well for Birmingham who will therefore probably feel his stock has risen.Now they signed him for an initial £4m rising to £6m and at that price one must assume they aren''t paying him peanuts.there''s so much more to this football transfer malarkey than computer games.

ok , big john big john big bad john ! john ruddy norwich no1 , wish people would put it to bed now . out field players are needed , got 3 keepers

I do have to question what some people on here know about football. Ben Foster is a really good keeper England''s no2 so therefore is better than Ruddy. I''m not saying that there is anything wrong with Ruddy but surely Competition is what Lambert has built his team I think some of you may need to learn a little bit about football

Yeh i thought he would be a good signing but could probably do a lot better than us. I still think we should get Matt Gilks back. I swear he is out of contract and doubt his wages would be too much

[quote user="ziggy"]ok , big john big john big bad john ! john ruddy norwich no1 , wish people would put it to bed now . out field players are needed , got 3 keepers[/quote]

One of them is 18 and has never played a first team game, the other is 20 and only played a handful of first team games...

We need genuine competition for Ruddy. If he gets injured or suffers a nightmare run of form Rudd and Steer are too young and it would see us relegated (see Bryan Gunn injury in 1994 when Marshall was too green).

I don''t think Ben Foster would be value for money in terms of transfer fee or wages. Fraser Forster is a far better option, not just because of his history at the club, but because he is one of the best young keepers in England, looks to be available at a reasonable price and would "put his shoulder to the wheel" for the cause.

The fact that he''s England number 2 doesn''t prove he''s better than Ruddy (and he''s not England number 2 any more anyways), it just means Capello reckons Foster is better for his team. Now I''m not saying that he isn''t better, but Ruddy is a good and improving keeper, he knows how we play and knows our defence, that counts for a lot.

Foster isn''t so amazingly good that he could single-handedly keep us up, if he was Birmingham wouldn''t have been relegated. So it comes down to the fact that we have limited resources (even though they are much greater than they used to be) and so we need to spend what we have in the most efficient way we can.

Foster would be very expensive and replace an already strong member of our starting 11. How many teams have real competition for starting keeper? Not many.

Given an unlimited budget, sure he''d be nice. But we need to bring in a lot of players and we don''t have the money to make one of them a high profile keeper.

[quote user="ncfc4life"]Yeh i thought he would be a good signing but could probably do a lot better than us.

I still think we should get Matt Gilks back. I swear he is out of contract and doubt his wages would be too much
[/quote]

Gilks for me too.

Good keeper and a nice guy.

Gilks is to short and has few clean sheets.

Foster makes some bad mistakes - similar to Carson.

Forster is by far the best bet; young, experienced, works hard and definately fits the culture here.

[quote user="Gingerpele"][quote user="ziggy"]ok , big john big john big bad john ! john ruddy norwich no1 , wish people would put it to bed now . out field players are needed , got 3 keepers[/quote]

One of them is 18 and has never played a first team game, the other is 20 and only played a handful of first team games...[/quote]Yep I''m certain we''ll get another keeper, if Ruddy gets injured or suspended you just can''t throw Rudd or Steer in.  In the Championship you''d probably get away with it.  In the big league the points are so precious it''s too much of a risk.

[quote user="The ſhroud of Turin"][quote user="Gingerpele"][quote user="ziggy"]ok , big john big john big bad john ! john ruddy norwich no1 , wish people would put it to bed now . out field players are needed , got 3 keepers[/quote]

One of them is 18 and has never played a first team game, the other is 20 and only played a handful of first team games...[/quote]Yep I''m certain we''ll get another keeper, if Ruddy gets injured or suspended you just can''t throw Rudd or Steer in.  In the Championship you''d probably get away with it.  In the big league the points are so precious it''s too much of a risk.[/quote]

Definately need another keeper