Sign in to follow this  
can u sit down please

City agree 2.5m for Vaughan

[quote user="smooth"]In my eyes a much better prospect than S. Jackson.[/quote]So you feel a striker who scored less goals, is better then a striker who scored more :S

"So you feel a striker who scored less goals, is better then a striker who scored more :S"

Thats a very naive comment.....

Does that mean that a GK who lets in more goals is automatically worse than one who let in less? (The answer here is no)

Does a winger who can cross better than another one, automatically get classed as better?

Just because a striker has scored less, doesn''t mean he''s worse. (By the way, i''m saying all this without a definitive opinion on either Jackson or Vaughan, just an explanation as to why you shouldn''t jump to conclusions like that, all my opinion of course)

Without looking at any stats, Vaughan may have played less than Jackson, but has certainly scored less. But he has had 2 major injuries already in his career. This will quite clearly limit his output in the games after returning from injury (look how long it took Holt to get firing on all cylinders at the beginning of the season).

Jackson, before his end of season form, had only scored 4 in the Championship, and before than goals in League One (maybe League Two). As far as i''m aware Vaughan hasn''t played in League One, but i''m sure a full season there he would reach 20 goals easily.

Last season, i''m not sure if he had any injuries, but Palace were quite clearly struggling, so a lack of goals there can also be partly down to that.

I really don''t think its fair to say Vaughan is better or worse than Jackson at this point. Who''s to say if we had him on loan last season, he wouldn''t have scored a load more? (I know ifs and buts don''t really matter/count)

Jackson has had the form/luck so far in his career, it doesn''t mean Vaughan won''t. I just think its very silly writing players of immediately. Look at the players who people have doubted in the past couple of seasons; R.Martin, Holt (stepping up to Championship), Jackson, Crofts, Ruddy and i''m sure there have been doubts about many more players (i even remember some comments about Surman not being very good....)

[quote user="O.T.B.C"]PS, spoke to Evertonian mate and he reckons it is close to a million with add ons, not sure how he knows, but as he is up there and the football in Liverpool is their life, he may well be correct.[/quote]I heard that it was £900k upfront! [Y]

Well said WAY, and totally agree. In Lambert we trust, and I''m sure Vaughan will do his bit to prove his worth. Welcome aboard!

[quote user="Smudger"][quote user="O.T.B.C"]PS, spoke to Evertonian mate and he reckons it is close to a million with add ons, not sure how he knows, but as he is up there and the football in Liverpool is their life, he may well be correct.[/quote]

I heard that it was £900k upfront! [Y]
[/quote]

Thats realistic.  £900k upfront and if he delivers we pay the add ons (and we are not going to complain if he does are we?). Thats fair to both parties.

You get the impression that Lambert and McNally dont wait for the phone to ring do you?

I would be shocked if Lambert has spent £2.5mil immediately on Vaughan. It''s not that he''s not worth it, it''s simply far, far more than has been associated with him in the past. If it is £900k up front the rest depending on all sorts, I think that''s a very good deal. If, as he has done with Whitbread, Lambert can keep Vaughan fit and bring the best out of him, we could have one heck of a bargain on our hands.

[quote user="ncfcfan"]If he was so good, then surely Everton would be keeping him, as they''re going through a striker crisis.

Not impressed with spending £2.5m on a player, that is not better then either of our first choice strikers.
[/quote]

Give him a fair chance mate.

[quote user="Smudger"]I don''t think that Everton will be getting £2.5 million upfront for him though.  I wouuld''ve thought that would be the maximum fee based on us staying up, plus number of games played and goals scored (or othe such add ons).  I would imagine that the upfront fee they get for him would be around half of this.Good player and I am rather excited by this signing and that we are already bringing in players before the end of May.  Getting as much business as we can done early (like last year) is key, especially after just winning promotion. [:)][/quote]

Agree on all counts smudge - quality and time to breath in the team ethic; its a squad game and he wont be the only striker

Welcome JV

I am delighted PL and NCFC are acting promptly in getting players in.

I am delighted the Club are backing the manager with the fees necessary.

It appears this lad played plenty of games last season despite previous injuries. He has passed a medical described as ''stringent.''

Above all else this boy looks to be as brave as a lion and driven to make it at the right Club. He will add the kind of fight and aggression we only see in Holty.

This could be another - right player, right club, right time for us and we have had a number of those in the last two seasons. I certainly do not expect Vaughan to be overawed by whoever he comes up against next season and our days of standing back and admiring the opposition are well and truly over.

No one knows how any move will work out but I certainly trust Paul Lambert and I welcome James and look forward to seeing him blossom in the famous yellow and green.

[quote user="ncfcfan"][quote user="smooth"]In my eyes a much better prospect than S. Jackson.[/quote]So you feel a striker who scored less goals, is better then a striker who scored more :S[/quote]

look at the league they have been scored in and against which type of defenders...

Where exactly has this figure of £2.5m come from?

The Norwich City official site, the Everton FC site and SSN all describe it as ''undisclosed'', yet people are assesing the value-for-money aspect of this signing against a financial figure that hasn''t been announced and probably won''t be.

I find this a little bit bizarre to say the least! How can anyone begin to evaluate the deal when they don''t know the facts?

I''ve noticed a number of comments about Vaughan''s scoring record, and just want to present a few stats to show things in a different light than a simple goal to game ratio:

04-05 Everton

2 games played - 26 minutes played (avg

13 mins per game) – 1 goal scored = 3.4 goals per full game

05-06 Everton

1 game played - 13 minutes played (avg

13 mins per game) = 0 goals

06-07 Everton

15 games played - 663 minutes played

(avg 44 mins per game) – 4 goals scored = 1 goal every 1.84 games

07-08 Everton

13 games played - 263 minutes played

(avg 20 mins per game) – 2 goals scored = 1 goal every 1.46 games

08-09 Everton

17 games played – 328 minutes played

(avg 19 mins per game) – 0 goals scored = 0 goals per full game

09-10 Everton, Derby & Leicester

21 games played – 654 minutes played

(avg of 31 mins per game) – 3 goals scored = 1 goal every 2.42

games

10-11 C.Palace

31 games played – 2272 minutes played

(avg of 73 mins per game) – 9 goals scored = 1 goal every 2.8 games

Total games played – 100

Total goals scored – 19

Total minutes played – 4219

Avg mins played per game – 42.19

Goal to game ratio – 1 goal every 5.3

games

Adjusted goal ratio based on minutes

played – 1 goal every 2.46 games

So theoretically we''d be looking at a

return of 15 goals if he maintained this ratio next season.

I can see that a base goal ratio of 5.3 games per goal is pretty unimpressive, but if you look at the actual amount of time he''s spent on the pitch, you see a very different story. It''s one thing to have played regular 90 minutes games and not scored, but when you''re averaging less than a half a game played over a 7 year period, you can see that the actual goal ratio is much better based on the time played.Being fair, if he gets near 15 games next season and plays anywhere near the potential he showed a few years ago, we''ve got an absolute steal on our hands, so thanks to PL and the board for the signing, and welcome James :)

[quote user="Smudger"][quote user="O.T.B.C"]PS, spoke to Evertonian mate and he reckons it is close to a million with add ons, not sure how he knows, but as he is up there and the football in Liverpool is their life, he may well be correct.[/quote]

[/quote]

Whose cousin did you hear that from?

[quote user="Webbo118"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

For what it is worth The Guardian (which has strong northern connections although more with Manchester than Liverpool) is putting the basic fee as £1.5m, with the rise to a maximum of £2.5m based on appearances.

[quote user="Cantiaci Canary"]I''m not so sure about this purchase.

19 goals in 100 games (9 in 60 prem).

On the plus side he''s young & hungry and we''ve seen what Lambert can do with that.

Hope we get Morison too though![/quote]

Having let this signing sink in I''ve changed my mind. If Lambert thinks he will do a job so do I.

Good luck James.

[quote user="Norfolk Mustard"]

Where exactly has this figure of £2.5m come from?

[/quote]

The very first post in this thread kind of gives you a clue....

[quote user="Norfolk Mustard"]

.....and SSN all describe it as ''undisclosed''....[/quote]

Earlier today they certainly used the £2.5m figure.

[quote user="Indy_Bones"]I''ve noticed a number of comments about Vaughan''s scoring record, and just want to present a few stats to show things in a different light than a simple goal to game ratio:

04-05 Everton

2 games played - 26 minutes played (avg

13 mins per game) – 1 goal scored = 3.4 goals per full game

05-06 Everton

1 game played - 13 minutes played (avg

13 mins per game) = 0 goals

06-07 Everton

15 games played - 663 minutes played

(avg 44 mins per game) – 4 goals scored = 1 goal every 1.84 games

07-08 Everton

13 games played - 263 minutes played

(avg 20 mins per game) – 2 goals scored = 1 goal every 1.46 games

08-09 Everton

17 games played – 328 minutes played

(avg 19 mins per game) – 0 goals scored = 0 goals per full game

09-10 Everton, Derby & Leicester

21 games played – 654 minutes played

(avg of 31 mins per game) – 3 goals scored = 1 goal every 2.42

games

10-11 C.Palace

31 games played – 2272 minutes played

(avg of 73 mins per game) – 9 goals scored = 1 goal every 2.8 games

Total games played – 100

Total goals scored – 19

Total minutes played – 4219

Avg mins played per game – 42.19

Goal to game ratio – 1 goal every 5.3

games

Adjusted goal ratio based on minutes

played – 1 goal every 2.46 games

So theoretically we''d be looking at a

return of 15 goals if he maintained this ratio next season.

I can see that a base goal ratio of 5.3 games per goal is pretty unimpressive, but if you look at the actual amount of time he''s spent on the pitch, you see a very different story. It''s one thing to have played regular 90 minutes games and not scored, but when you''re averaging less than a half a game played over a 7 year period, you can see that the actual goal ratio is much better based on the time played.Being fair, if he gets near 15 games next season and plays anywhere near the potential he showed a few years ago, we''ve got an absolute steal on our hands, so thanks to PL and the board for the signing, and welcome James :)[/quote]Kudos on a damn fine investigation Indy. [Y]

Typical Lambert signing this. Young, Hungry, Strong, Enthusiastic, Grafter, Never been given a real opportunity.

Having just spoken to the hardcore Evertonian who lives above me, he was saying that ALL Evertonians will be sad to see him leave. Many were curious to see what he could do if he could avoid injury and play a full season, sadly it never seemed likely to happen. With him now having played the longest stint of his career at palace and seemingly thrown that injury monkey off his back I for one am excited by his arrival. Lets just pray he avoids anymore dislocated shoulders, torn cartilages, severed foot arteries and knee ligament injuries!

Chuffed with this signing. Exactly the sorta player we should be looking at.

[quote user="PurpleCanary"][quote user="Webbo118"]

[quote user="Smudger"][quote user="O.T.B.C"]PS, spoke to Evertonian mate and he reckons it is close to a million with add ons, not sure how he knows, but as he is up there and the football in Liverpool is their life, he may well be correct.[/quote]I heard that it was £900k upfront! [Y][/quote]

[/quote]

For what it is worth The Guardian (which has strong northern connections although more with Manchester than Liverpool) is putting the basic fee as £1.5m, with the rise to a maximum of £2.5m based on appearances.

[/quote]The £900k figure has come from fans at the Everton end.Not saying that it is correct but just what I heard on Friday!