Sign in to follow this  
can u sit down please

City agree 2.5m for Vaughan

[quote user="D for Paul Lambert"]£2.5m for me isn''t too much. When you consider his age, he could potentially be here for years, the best years of his career. If he can score even 10 goals next year that might be enough to keep us up, with others chipping in. Great signing! (If it goes ahead)[/quote]

"If he can score even 10 goals for us next year......". I would love for this to be correct but I think we should be realistic. This past season the Premiership players who only managed to score 10 goals included Fernando Torres, Sammy Nasri, Frank Lampard and Salomon Kalou. Others who did not even make it into double figures included Tim Cahill, Kenwyne Jones, Theo Walcott, Pavlyuchenko and Nani. Further, Vaughan has only scored 17 goals in total during the past six seasons ( and only 7 of those in the premiership ). Admittedly, he had a lot of injury time during that period but, regardless, it''s hardly a record that inpires one to have confidence he''s going to be banging them in. Personally, having watched Vaughan a good number of times, I have yet to be overly impressed. However, I recognise that Norwich City have to take chances that perhaps the established Premiership teams might choose to avoid and Vaughan may turn out to be a successful gamble for us. We shall see.     

what a signing. this guy will run through brick walls like the others do, hunt the ball down and has that arrogance on the pitch towards the opposition similar to chris Martin. but this guy really cares about the club hes at. on twitter he''s devastated if palace lost and says sorry tithe fans and everything, think how motivated he''ll be with 26,000 cheering him on! this guy also is very hard and has a hood engine. soooo happy!

I''m not so sure about this purchase.

19 goals in 100 games (9 in 60 prem).

On the plus side he''s young & hungry and we''ve seen what Lambert can do with that.

Hope we get Morison too though!

Awesome signing IMO. Got all the right attributes to cause prem defenders real trouble. People showing his goals to games ratio, u sen how many were off the bench etc tho? he never nailed down starting 11 place whislt at Everton etc.

This guy will thrive on first team football and is exactly the type of player lambert would have wanted. I would assume the price is around 1m+ upfront but then the rest will surely depend on goals scored and if we survive etc ;)

i don''t understand why people moan about the goal scoring ratio? they have to start somewhere. just because you haven''t scored many goals previously doesn''t mean he''ll never score goals.

I''m kind of surprised by all this hype.... I saw the original post a few days ago and didn''t bother to comment as I hoped it was just another dodgy rumour. Surely, I thought, Lambert, with his excellent player buying ability, wouldn''t want to sign this guy??

But now I''m slightly more concerned. £2.5m?!?! Seriously?? For the same James Vaughan who played most of the season at Crystal Palace last year and didn''t exactly set the world on fire? This is not exactly the ''quality premiership'' player I thought we''d go for, nor does it improve on anything we''ve already got.

Where I''m currently living for work this year, a lot of my colleagues are Palace fans, being rather local. So I managed to see a few games last year and saw his performances. He managed to score a hat-trick on his début against a rather poor Portsmouth team (on their poor run early in the season) but then didn''t very little else throughout the rest of the year (or at least in the 8 other games I saw - including that awful 0-0 against us). Certainly not a premiership player, or one that''s going to cause Terry, Vidic or even Shawcross a problem. So why waste such a sizeable amount on him, when we could go after Graham or Long? Ludicrous.

I''ll rely on Mr Lambert''s view, having such an impeccable record, but this one really worries me!

Not a big fan of Vaughan :( I really hope he can prove me wrong! And £2.5M...eh? Oh well, Im Lambert I trust!

Holt hardly set the world on fire before he arrived?Neither did Jackson.Neither did Crofts.Neither did Russel Martin.And on and on and on.Get a grip and have some faith.

Looked awesome when he first broke onto the scene a number of years ago, but hasn''t really had a settled season at a club since then, with injuries and loans seeming to hamper his progress.

Get him in early, give him a full pre-season, and judge him once he''s had a regular run in the team as competition for Jacko...

The price probably won''t be anywhere near what SSN are quoting so may even turn out to be a bargain!

[quote user="Robornio"]I''m kind of surprised by all this hype.... I saw the original post a few days ago and didn''t bother to comment as I hoped it was just another dodgy rumour. Surely, I thought, Lambert, with his excellent player buying ability, wouldn''t want to sign this guy?? But now I''m slightly more concerned. £2.5m?!?! Seriously?? For the same James Vaughan who played most of the season at Crystal Palace last year and didn''t exactly set the world on fire? This is not exactly the ''quality premiership'' player I thought we''d go for, nor does it improve on anything we''ve already got. Where I''m currently living for work this year, a lot of my colleagues are Palace fans, being rather local. So I managed to see a few games last year and saw his performances. He managed to score a hat-trick on his début against a rather poor Portsmouth team (on their poor run early in the season) but then didn''t very little else throughout the rest of the year (or at least in the 8 other games I saw - including that awful 0-0 against us). Certainly not a premiership player, or one that''s going to cause Terry, Vidic or even Shawcross a problem. So why waste such a sizeable amount on him, when we could go after Graham or Long? Ludicrous. I''ll rely on Mr Lambert''s view, having such an impeccable record, but this one really worries me![/quote]

Yes, because we have millions upon millions to spend on one striker who would even want to come here anyway having proven himself a quality Premiership player.

Who says they won''t cause them problems?! Have they managed to stop every single striker that isn''t world class this season? And what do you mean sizeable amount exactly? How much do you actually reckon a ''quality premiership player'' would cost? Much more than £2.5m especially from this country. Calm down and keep your faith in PL

[quote user="kellybrook"]Holt hardly set the world on fire before he arrived?Neither did Jackson.Neither did Crofts.Neither did Russel Martin.And on and on and on.Get a grip and have some faith.[/quote]

Certainly don''t agree with that.

Crofty looked good from day 1 (the best player when we lost to Watford on the first day of the season).

Holt scored a hat-trick on his second appearance for us when he joined.

Jackson.... ok, that was a slow start.

But what does that have to do with Vaughan? he had 25 games for Palace.... how long do you need? Have you seen him play since his early days of promise at Everton then? Just telling you the more current observations.

We''re playing £2.5m for the 41st top scorer in the Championship last season. Who was outscored by a load of midfielders & a even a defender...

"We''re playing £2.5m for the 41st top scorer in the Championship last

season. Who was outscored by a load of midfielders & a even a

defender.."Ladies and gentleman, place your bets.  In trap 1 we have a top manager who has secured 2 promotions in succession on a shoestring budget, in trap 2 we have a message board poster.Who''s willing to bet that Lambert can see something that you can''t, ncfcfan [;)] ?

Seriously, do you think we are paying 2.5 million up front?  Do you honestly believe that figure SSN stated?  Do you seriously believe for a second we are handing over 2.5 million to Everton''s bank account today, or anytime in the near future?

[quote user="ncfcfan"]We''re playing £2.5m for the 41st top scorer in the Championship last season. Who was outscored by a load of midfielders & a even a defender...[/quote]

What?Read my post.  The clue is in the word "before".[quote user="Robornio"][quote user="kellybrook"]Holt hardly set the world on fire before he arrived?Neither did Jackson.Neither did Crofts.Neither did Russel Martin.And on and on and on.Get a grip and have some faith.[/quote]

Certainly don''t agree with that.

Crofty looked good from day 1 (the best player when we lost to Watford on the first day of the season).

Holt scored a hat-trick on his second appearance for us when he joined.

Jackson.... ok, that was a slow start.

But what does that have to do with Vaughan? he had 25 games for Palace.... how long do you need? Have you seen him play since his early days of promise at Everton then? Just telling you the more current observations.[/quote]

Sorry, my mistake.... that makes more sense :)

The Premier League is a different kettle of fish and takes no prisoners. Let''s hope our strategy continues its success though.

[quote user="ncfcfan"]We''re playing £2.5m for the 41st top scorer in the Championship last season. Who was outscored by a load of midfielders & a even a defender...[/quote]

A player in a team constantly battling at the bottom end of the league, with TERRIBLE service. No striker would be banging in the goals with the service he was getting!!

Can only take the chances your given!!

[quote user="blahblahblah"]"We''re playing £2.5m for the 41st top scorer in the Championship last

season. Who was outscored by a load of midfielders & a even a

defender.."Ladies and gentleman, place your bets.  In trap 1 we have a top manager who has secured 2 promotions in succession on a shoestring budget, in trap 2 we have a message board poster.Who''s willing to bet that Lambert can see something that you can''t, ncfcfan [;)] ?[/quote]Haha, I just feel £2.5m is alot of money for a player, who isn''t any better then either Jackson or Holt. I would be pleased with the signing if he cost less then a million. But to pay £2.5m for a striker, no better then either of our starting 2, I just feel isn''t good value for money. I feel Vaughan is a good signing for backup/competition but no way should we play £2.5m for him. Also why don''t Everton want to keep Vaughan if he''s Premier League quality, considering they have a striker crisis. And is he even better then Martin? I feel Martin could of got at least 9 goals if he played 30 games.

[quote user="Mervmeister"][quote user="ncfcfan"]We''re playing £2.5m for the 41st top scorer in the Championship last season. Who was outscored by a load of midfielders & a even a defender...[/quote]

A player in a team constantly battling at the bottom end of the league, with TERRIBLE service. No striker would be banging in the goals with the service he was getting!!

Can only take the chances your given!![/quote]Palace aren''t that bad, they stayed up.Mackail-Smith got more goals then Vaughan, when he played for Posh who finished bottom of the league.

[quote user="Mervmeister"][quote user="ncfcfan"]We''re playing £2.5m for the 41st top scorer in the Championship last season. Who was outscored by a load of midfielders & a even a defender...
[/quote] A player in a team constantly battling at the bottom end of the league, with TERRIBLE service. No striker would be banging in the goals with the service he was getting!! Can only take the chances your given!![/quote]

A player coming to a team likely to be constantly battling at the bottom end of the league above the league in which he was in a team constantly battling at the bottom end of.

[quote user="Mervmeister"][quote user="ncfcfan"]We''re playing £2.5m for the 41st top scorer in the Championship last season. Who was outscored by a load of midfielders & a even a defender...[/quote]

Can only take the chances your given!![/quote]Also I''m sure he got service for Everton & Leicester, where he managed to get 7 in 47 & 1 in 8.

"Palace aren''t that bad, they stayed up."  Palace were good away from home (play-off form), and shocking away from home (their only win was against us if I recall correctly ).Barry Fry wanted the moon on a stick for CMS, and Lambert wants players in asap.It''s very unlikely to be 2.5 million - as several others have said today.  Probably 1 mill up front, the rest for goals scored, staying up, etc.

He hasn''t even signed yet and people are on his back, give the guy a bloody chance! These are the same people who saw Steven Smith played in the Champions League so was going take Drury''s left back spot like that.

Im glad its PL''s opinion that matters and none of ours in the transfer market. I hope the signings prove the doubters wrong just like this season just gone. There''ll always be people who moan and think they can do a better job but this isn''t Football Manager on a pc or laptop where things are so straightforward. Morison or Vaughan may score more goals than Holt or Jackson or half the Prem league players next season but we wont know until they actually get a game in the Prem for our team and play our way

[quote user="kiwigreenandgold"]Doesn''t matter what is payed when. 2.5 million could have been put towards better IMHO. Hope to be proven wrong.[/quote]

Sorry but that is just wrong. It clearly matters what is payed and when. A large chunk of this £2.5 million is likely to be dependent on how many appearances he makes, us staying up, how many goals he scores etc. If all of the £2.5 million becomes payable then it will almost certainly mean that (a) we will have stayed up and (b) he will have played plenty of games and scored lots of goals. If that is the case then it will clearly be £2.5 million well spent. If he doesn;t play/score much then i doubt we will end up paying more than £1 million.