Sign in to follow this  
judderman

Bid for Morison turned down, Morison asks to leave

[quote user="unique"]Nothing wrong with getting the signings in early, but to be honest these two seem to be happening in double quick time!

In Lambert We Trust etc. etc. ........but it appears that Palace and Millwall supporters deem the fees bandied about as being way too high for the players we will be getting.

Would still prefer a gamble on CMS with his work-rate and goal-scoring/assists record - but that could prove a wrong move once he played in the Premiership.

Didn''t think we''d be splashing the cash quite so early - just so long as it isn''t knee-jerk....[/quote]Well Morison has outscored Mackail-Smith in Division One and the Championship so far, yet you would prefer to be held to ransom for an average player by Peterborough United?As for Vaughan, 9 goals in about 20 odd games for Palace last season I think it was?  He also has 7 Premiership goals and has scored in Europe for Everton previously.  Vaughan, only 23 in July undoubtedly has bags of potential, with Everton fans thinking that he could possibly go further in the game than Rooney when he first broke on the scene for them.  These two signings would add competition for both pace and power to our forward line and I would see them both as excellent signings and the type of players I would expect Lambert to bring in.Let''s get these deals tied up and then start working on the midfield and the defence.

Remember when transfer fees are bandied about that the headline fee will be conditional upon a certain number of appearances - so I would expect with Vaughan that it might be £1.5 million down, another £0.5 million after 50 apperances and the remainder after another 25 - good risk management for a player who is injury prone. 

[quote user="Smudger"][quote user="unique"]Nothing wrong with getting the signings in early, but to be honest these two seem to be happening in double quick time!

In Lambert We Trust etc. etc. ........but it appears that Palace and Millwall supporters deem the fees bandied about as being way too high for the players we will be getting.

Would still prefer a gamble on CMS with his work-rate and goal-scoring/assists record - but that could prove a wrong move once he played in the Premiership.

Didn''t think we''d be splashing the cash quite so early - just so long as it isn''t knee-jerk....[/quote]Well Morison has outscored Mackail-Smith in Division One and the Championship so far, yet you would prefer to be held to ransom for an average player by Peterborough United?As for Vaughan, 9 goals in about 20 odd games for Palace last season I think it was?  He also has 7 Premiership goals and has scored in Europe for Everton previously.  Vaughan, only 23 in July undoubtedly has bags of potential, with Everton fans thinking that he could possibly go further in the game than Rooney when he first broke on the scene for them.  These two signings would add competition for both pace and power to our forward line and I would see them both as excellent signings and the type of players I would expect Lambert to bring in.Let''s get these deals tied up and then start working on the midfield and the defence.

[/quote]

I have to say I totally agree with Smudger. I echo his thoughts entirely.

Who the flippin hell do some people expect us to sign?! Defoe, Klose, Crouch, Owen...?

Realistically we wouldn''t even get Long because more established teams with bigger budgets will get him. That''s just the truth. Vaughan and Morison could prove to be great signings - let''s just see what happens first. Look how long it took Simeon to find his feet and then he couldn''t stop scoring. Holt had to go down the leagues to come back up and storm it. Morison is well rated and Millwall don''t want to let him go. PL knows his stuff and he could be a diamond

We just aren''t going to be able to buy ''hot prospects'' or proven Prem strikers - even a striker with a half decent season in the Prem will cost more than we could justify on 1 player

[quote user="Smudger"][quote user="unique"]Nothing wrong with getting the signings in early, but to be honest these two seem to be happening in double quick time! In Lambert We Trust etc. etc. ........but it appears that Palace and Millwall supporters deem the fees bandied about as being way too high for the players we will be getting. Would still prefer a gamble on CMS with his work-rate and goal-scoring/assists record - but that could prove a wrong move once he played in the Premiership. Didn''t think we''d be splashing the cash quite so early - just so long as it isn''t knee-jerk....[/quote]

Well Morison has outscored Mackail-Smith in Division One and the Championship so far, yet you would prefer to be held to ransom for an average player by Peterborough United?

As for Vaughan, 9 goals in about 20 odd games for Palace last season I think it was?  He also has 7 Premiership goals and has scored in Europe for Everton previously.  Vaughan, only 23 in July undoubtedly has bags of potential, with Everton fans thinking that he could possibly go further in the game than Rooney when he first broke on the scene for them. 

These two signings would add competition for both pace and power to our forward line and I would see them both as excellent signings and the type of players I would expect Lambert to bring in.

Let''s get these deals tied up and then start working on the midfield and the defence.

[/quote]

Smudge - a realistic fan. I totally agree mate and am excited by the prospect of Jackson, Holt, Morison and Vaughan plus Martin maybe. There''s also another transfer window in January and we don''t know if he''ll go and get more than 2 strikers yet[;)]

[quote user="shefcanary"]Remember when transfer fees are bandied about that the headline fee will be conditional upon a certain number of appearances - so I would expect with Vaughan that it might be £1.5 million down, another £0.5 million after 50 apperances and the remainder after another 25 - good risk management for a player who is injury prone. [/quote]

Great point shefcanary. The fee may also be dependant upon goals scored in the Prem or staying up. If Morrison and/or Vaughan get 10 goals and we stay up I think an extra 500k or 1M on top off the initial outlay of 1M-1.5M is very good business!!

[quote user="Jim Smith"]

Seems to me that Lambert is tragetting two different styles of striker in Vaughan and Morrison. Vaughan would appear to me more in the Jackson mould and one would think will provide competition for that second striker place. Morrison on the other hand is clearly the competition/back up for Holt. We don''t have another player like that who would be capable of performing at the highest level. Both have their own attributes and I think both would be good additions to the squad.

Maybe Morrison is not worth £2.5m but to be honest most strikers are not worth what is paid for them these days (Andy Carroll being the most obvious example) and if you want to buy a club''s top scorer then you are going to have to shell out some cash!

[/quote]Spot on Jim [Y]

The likes of Morison and Vaughan will want to prove themselves at the highest level as neither have done so so far but both appear to have the ability and willingness to be able to do so.

These are precisley the sort of players i want to see in a City shirt.

[quote user="Smudger"][quote user="unique"]Nothing wrong with getting the signings in early, but to be honest these two seem to be happening in double quick time!

[/quote]

Smudger, as a long-time reader but only occasional poster on this forum I''m sure you''ll appreciate the irony of the thought that just popped into my head... you''ve actually become the voice of reason and intelligent analysis. I can''t decide if you''ve changed of whether the rest are more barking than ever! I suspect it''s a bit of both [:)]

Morison is the sort of player we need to gamble on, even if he doesn''t cut it in the prem we''ve still had a decent deal. If we stay up we sell him back down, making only a slight loss, if we go down we have a proven championship striker. And if he does make it in the prem we can keep him or his price will have no doubt doubled. It''s a very good gamble to take in my opinion.

[quote user="shefcanary"]Remember when transfer fees are bandied about that the headline fee will be conditional upon a certain number of appearances - so I would expect with Vaughan that it might be £1.5 million down, another £0.5 million after 50 apperances and the remainder after another 25 - good risk management for a player who is injury prone. [/quote]

Exactly!

[quote user="Smudger"][quote user="unique"]Nothing wrong with getting the signings in early, but to be honest these two seem to be happening in double quick time! In Lambert We Trust etc. etc. ........but it appears that Palace and Millwall supporters deem the fees bandied about as being way too high for the players we will be getting. Would still prefer a gamble on CMS with his work-rate and goal-scoring/assists record - but that could prove a wrong move once he played in the Premiership. Didn''t think we''d be splashing the cash quite so early - just so long as it isn''t knee-jerk....[/quote]

Well Morison has outscored Mackail-Smith in Division One and the Championship so far, yet you would prefer to be held to ransom for an average player by Peterborough United?

As for Vaughan, 9 goals in about 20 odd games for Palace last season I think it was?  He also has 7 Premiership goals and has scored in Europe for Everton previously.  Vaughan, only 23 in July undoubtedly has bags of potential, with Everton fans thinking that he could possibly go further in the game than Rooney when he first broke on the scene for them. 

These two signings would add competition for both pace and power to our forward line and I would see them both as excellent signings and the type of players I would expect Lambert to bring in.

Let''s get these deals tied up and then start working on the midfield and the defence.

[/quote]

Agreed.  Got any suggestions for the midfield and defence?

It is customary for supporters to get excited about any transfers their clubs get involved with, but I still maintain these two potential signings appear to be massive gambles for the prices suggested....none more so than Vaughan.

A player with ''bags of potential'' he may be....but with just 43 league appearances (including a smattering of Premiership games) at the age of almost 23 suggests he has gone a long way from fulfilling it. He has had a number of injuries, which have undoubtedly contributed to this, and will ultimately reflect on his price, hopefully.

Morison has had just 85 career league appearances and will be 28 close to the start of the new season. His goal-scoring record speaks for itself, and if signed, he will hopefully be able to step up to the Premiership.

CMS would be a massive gamble, but I''d be very surprised if he wasn''t available to play far more often than Vaughan......with the goals to match.

"A player with ''bags of potential'' he may be....but with just 43 league appearances (including a smattering of Premiership games) at the age of almost 23 suggests he has gone a long way from fulfilling it. He has had a number of injuries, which have undoubtedly contributed to this, and will ultimately reflect on his price, hopefully"

Unique, you say above that Vaughan has just 43 league appearances.....?

He''s 87 appearances, according to a quick search.

He also played 30 times for Palace last year. Not bad for a crock.

All strikers at that price will be gambles. What proven striker at prem level can we afford? Just got to have faith in them through the season and get behind them all.

As for midfielders, David Jones is leaving Wolves (former Man U player) and refused to sign contract. Anyone know much about him?

I''ve liked Morison whenever I''ve seen him play and like the sound of Vaughan.

Good to see PL getting the strikers department sorted out early. We hardly want to be held to ransom in the final weeks of the window, by which time other clubs will know we''re up against the clock (as with P''boro & CMS).

[quote user="Sports Desk Pete"]Millwall have now confirmed the transfer request from Steve Morison, and that they have rejected it...

www.pinkun.com/1.905958
[/quote]

Link didn''t work but I''ll take your word for it Pete. Hopefully they''ll sell

Steve Morison is a good prospect in my opinion. Probably falls into late developer category and has probably appreciated Real life while playing in non league which is no bad thing. Scores goals and is a nuisance.

I like this signing if it happens.

Morison and Vaughan???? Not that impressed to be Frank. And shelling out just under £5M for them both...hmmmm? Will they really better Vidic, Terry etc?

That 5m, if true is not all in one go though is it?  Its add ons that could be paid over years.  Up front fees will be probable half of that, not bad business.

"Morison and Vaughan???? Not that impressed to be Frank. And shelling out just under £5M for them both...hmmmm? Will they really better Vidic, Terry etc?"

Probably not on most days, but that''s not really the point unless we''re deluding ourselves that we''re going to be qualifying for Europe.

What does matter is that they can give defenders at West Brom, Newcastle, Blackburn and all the non-Top 5 teams a regular run for their money, and I suspect they might.

Good thing not every Premier League team has those type of world class defenders in them!! I reckon they could both do a good job for us. If we want a proven Premier League striker we''re looking at stupid money. So lets all be realistic here.

Don''t get the people moaning!!

Who did u expect him to sign, Klose and Owen?

Never gonna happen people. Shane Long is the only guy better than what we have gone for. He is too good for Norwich and will end up somewhere like Liverpool if Reading don''t go up.

Danny Graham would be nice but again he is really no better than what we have gone for, he had a gr8 season last year yes, but done f all previous seasons.

People need to take a reality check and realise that we were in league 1 not soo long back and the players we are now going for we would have only dreamt about 2 seasons ago!!

[quote user="Mervmeister"]the players we are now going for we would have only dreamt about 2 seasons ago!![/quote]Morison was playing for Stevenage 2 seasons ago so maybe not.. [;)]

Who could we get that''s any better for £5m combined anyway? Let''s get real. I think Prem league status has got some people in fairy land

id take both, we have to be realistic...we''re not going to be able to sign proven premiership strikers. lambert hasnt got much wrong in the transfer market, and as we have seen with holt a striker in the right environment and system can flourish, even when approaching their 30''s, no reason why both those strikers won''t be a handful and score a few goals next season. i also point out jon walters at stoke this season, never really rated him at ipswich in championship yet hes been brilliant for stoke scoring his fair share of important goals. a strike force of holt, jackson, morison and vaughan looks very good in my opinion, all adding different strenghts to create a great mix up top