Sign in to follow this  
judderman

Bid for Morison turned down, Morison asks to leave

as it sayshttp://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11095_6954655,00.html?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter

£2.5 Million!?Now that''s frightening. We should be reaching for the standards of Graham, Bothroyd, Sharp, or even Mackail-Smith, or players with the potential to at least reach those standards, like Vaughan, Barnes, or Rodriguez.Considering his age and form over the course of the season, i''d be dubious as to whether he''s worth more than 750K. £2.5 Million is genuinely shocking.

Reminds me very much of our own Grant Holt. Has a bulldog like approach. Looks like Lambo is targetting two strikers in Vaughan and himself. I am liking this approach to signings though. I think everyone will take us lightly as we are not signing big names and there won''t be much pressure on the team to stay up as no one thinks it''ll happen, apart from the fans. If we keep signing these type of hungry players with something to prove I think the Premiership will find it hard to cope with us. I do think we need to strengthen more in midfield now though.

Really don''t rate him. Done OK at League One level but hasn''t set the world alight in the Championship. Also looked very poor for Wales. Not sure he''s good enough for the Premiership, be a bit annoyed if we spend £2.5m on him.

[quote user="sergio"]Really don''t rate him. Done OK at League One level but hasn''t set the world alight in the Championship. Also looked very poor for Wales. Not sure he''s good enough for the Premiership, be a bit annoyed if we spend £2.5m on him.[/quote]How often have you seen him, Sergio? You sound like you''ve watched him alot.

just the sort of player we need, hard as fuck, just look at stoke you need players like this to stay up, doubt we will see the diamond much next season

[quote user="TheGoogler"][quote user="sergio"]Really don''t rate him. Done OK at League One level but hasn''t set the world alight in the Championship. Also looked very poor for Wales. Not sure he''s good enough for the Premiership, be a bit annoyed if we spend £2.5m on him.[/quote]How often have you seen him, Sergio? You sound like you''ve watched him alot. [/quote]Seen him a fair few times, and I also have a Welsh supporting mate and browse other teams forums to gauge their opinions on players. Just not sure what he will add to our squad.

He''s no Holt. Tenacious, strong and a good finisher maybe Holt''s key attribute is that he''s a really intelligent player and a great gamesman. He knows how other players and officials think and how to exploit them, haven''t seen anything of Morison to suggest he has that kind of ability. My brothers a Millwall fan and likes Morison but he''d personally drive him to Carrow Road if they were getting 2.5m for him.

Still, In Lambert We Trust....

Don''t write him off too soon. He''s shown he can jump from conference to League One and he one of the top players. There is no reason why he can''t jump even higher. Take James McCarthy for example, in The Sun this morning saying that bids for him are going to be between £10-£20m. Wigan only bought him for £1m from Hamilton Accies

Obviously each player is different, but Morrison, as stated is a bit of a pitbull. He''s strong on the ball and is a team player.

My only critisism is the last few games I watched him play at Millwall were poor, but maybe his heart isn''t in it there anymore

Well he did do well last year, scoring 17 in 43, and his all round play is very good.I gather Vaughan is similar in terms of all round commitment and contribution. his goal scoring wasn''t quite as high last year, and he''s more of a gamble injuries wise, but he''s also younger.I can''t see that there''s much to choose between them, and I can see why someone might prefer to spend £2.5m on Morison

Just think he''d provide more of a threat than Vaughan in the prem. Vaughan clearly has potential, but that word his been used millions of times on millions of players. I''d rather buy someone whos scored a fair few in the last couple of seasons albeit in league 1 and championship. Morrison is taller, he has a bit of pace, he strong, perhaps not quite as clinical as he could be. Vaughan played plenty last season in a poor side. He causes problems, hes quick and has an eye for goal but just hasn''t scored enough to warrent a fee of 2.5 million. If we could get both for around 3-3.5, it wouldn''t be bad business, but as mentioned earlier, i''d still feel we''d need another decent striker. Holt, Jackson, Morrison and Vaughan would not be enough to keep us up in my opinion. I cant see Wilbra, Oli or Cody being here and Martin has a massive ? over his head. Long is out of range, Graham and Maynard are possibilities, Earnshaw and Nugent are freebies.

Its difficultto judge, but so far as fees go, 2.5 million for Vaughan seems high.

No Canary Nath, its too early in the day for me, i have an afternoon of work ahead and they wont be impressed if i turn up off my face...

Tonight though could be a different matter

So back to Vaughan, as i''ve said, his fee is too high, i''m not completely against the signing, just underwhelmed by it. Why are some fans so excited? And why are they so keen to spend the same sort of money that we can pay for someone whos scored lots of goals like Morrison or CMS?

you will have no choice certain games, the only way to get anything out of the game, we aint gonna out pass teams like we could in the championship

[quote user="sergio"][quote user="TheGoogler"][quote user="sergio"]Really don''t rate him. Done OK at League One level but hasn''t set the world alight in the Championship. Also looked very poor for Wales. Not sure he''s good enough for the Premiership, be a bit annoyed if we spend £2.5m on him.[/quote]How often have you seen him, Sergio? You sound like you''ve watched him alot. [/quote]Seen him a fair few times, and I also have a Welsh supporting mate and browse other teams forums to gauge their opinions on players. Just not sure what he will add to our squad.[/quote]I think that if we have signed Vaughan, that Morison is exactly the type of player that we need to add to our striking options.  Somebody who is strong, can hold the ball up a bit and win things in the air, along with weighing in with a few goals.  He is just the type of player that we have been lacking in our squad to push Holty, when he has been off his game in my opinion and could be just what we need to complete our striking options (along with Pacheco on loan again possibly if the scousers would let him go).Fulham are rumoured to be interested in Morsion too, so we aren''t the only Premiership team that rates him.I think that the likes of Long and Graham (although fantastic players) could be too lightweight to fill the role that Holty does for us and the only other option out there in my eyes would be somebody like Rickie Lambert (who still has no experience of Championship football, but who I don''t has the ability to cut it there and higher if with the right players around him).  I am sure that he would probably want to give it a go with the Saints next season though.

Nothing wrong with getting the signings in early, but to be honest these two seem to be happening in double quick time!

In Lambert We Trust etc. etc. ........but it appears that Palace and Millwall supporters deem the fees bandied about as being way too high for the players we will be getting.

Would still prefer a gamble on CMS with his work-rate and goal-scoring/assists record - but that could prove a wrong move once he played in the Premiership.

Didn''t think we''d be splashing the cash quite so early - just so long as it isn''t knee-jerk....

One thing to keep in mind is that target-man type strikers tend to peak later than other players and are often at their very best late-twenties early-thirties. So at 27 we should see the very best years of Morison`s career.

To echo Mr Carrow Morison is at the peak of his physical fitness. Doing a smidge of research he is a consistent player that doesnt get injured much. Has a decent scoring record, 1 in 2.5ish. Has had to work at his career by coming up through the levels from non-league. In fairness he pretty much ticks all of the Lambert boxes.

And as for the person who said we dont want to mimick Stokes style of play. Mid table finish and an FA cup final suggests that it works well. They also play some fairly decent stuff at times.

Seems to me that Lambert is tragetting two different styles of striker in Vaughan and Morrison. Vaughan would appear to me more in the Jackson mould and one would think will provide competition for that second striker place. Morrison on the other hand is clearly the competition/back up for Holt. We don''t have another player like that who would be capable of performing at the highest level. Both have their own attributes and I think both would be good additions to the squad.

Maybe Morrison is not worth £2.5m but to be honest most strikers are not worth what is paid for them these days (Andy Carroll being the most obvious example) and if you want to buy a club''s top scorer then you are going to have to shell out some cash!

Not sure why people are paying too much attention to the transfer fees considering this news comes from a service that released breaking news that we were set to appoint Jimmy Floyd Hasselbaink as manager shortly before we signed Lambert...

Good signings in my opinion, if they come off, but they''re a long way off being complete by the sound of things...

Interesting the number of people on here saying that £2.5 million is too much yet have not mentioned that Millwall have turned down the bid. They obviously value the player and so does Lambert.