Sign in to follow this  
unique

Warnock not a happy chappy.....

"Before coming up to Scotland I went to Monday''s League Managers Association dinner. Obviously, I was a little disappointed to be the only manager winning his league not to win a divisional award. Sir Alex Ferguson was manager of the year in the Premier League, Brighton''s Gus Poyet in League One and Chesterfield''s John Sheridan in League Two. Paul Lambert, of Norwich, was the Championship winner.

It''s particularly disappointing because without a doubt it''s been the toughest and hardest job I''ve done in my career. I took over a team 14 months ago that was facing relegation. I completely changed the team around in the summer, which meant it had to gel immediately. I think people look at our owners and assume we''ve spent billions, but we have actually been very thrifty with our money. To lead such a hard division almost every week of the season is something I''m very proud of and it is disappointing not to be recognised."

No recognition by Warnock of the immense job that Paul Lambert did to win the award.......unlike the rest of the managers in the Championship.....

"Its disappointing not to be recognised" - well he was recignised, everyone knows he did a good job and he yes its a good achievement but lets be honest QPR while not spending ''billions'' have spent a fair bit relative to championship spending over the last couple of seasons.

But while he did well, his achievement this year was outmatched by Lambert, by taking a team tipped for a return to league 1 and moulding it into a promotion winning outfit on a small budget, theres no question Lambert deserves the award - after all the award is "manager of the year" not, manager of the team who won the season, he got a medal for that.

Not sure Lambert''s budget was that much smaller than for example Reading or Swansea''s? What he did do was take a side finding it''s feet for the first couple of months of the season and turn them into the best team in the division post Christmas. Well deserved award.

Warnock has done a great job this year. But not sure he endears himself to others - particularly opposing managers (ie his ridiculously jibe at Holt). Plus in this day and age spending on transfer fees is only a small proportion of spending consideration - wages - and shall we describe tham as ''add ons'' also come into the equation. QPR clealry know all about the latter.

One interesting thing is that their "dodgy" signing, Faurlin, who could have cost them their promotion, at £3.5m cost pretty much the same as our entire team. That in itself is one pretty good reason why Lambert got the nod ahead of Colin.

I would say PL''s achievement was far greater, being a relatively inexperienced manager who had not managed in the Championship before, whereas Warnock has been a manager in the Premier League. I agree with Canarino, he could have been rather more magnanimous.

Well the award was voted on by the LMA members, which includes all the managers from the top four professional leagues in English football. I wonder who Warnock voted for assuming he couldn''t vote for himself.

Given the resouces at his disposal Paul Lambert did a much finer job in the eyes of his fellow Championship Managers (excluding Warnock it would seem). Getting sufficient votes from the people who truly understand the challenge says far more than Mr Warnock ever could. In making those comments the QPR manager has succesfully enhanced his reputation as an ungracious, bitter and sore loser.

[quote user="unique"]"Before coming up to Scotland I went to Monday''s League Managers Association dinner. Obviously, I was a little disappointed to be the only manager winning his league not to win a divisional award. Sir Alex Ferguson was manager of the year in the Premier League, Brighton''s Gus Poyet in League One and Chesterfield''s John Sheridan in League Two. Paul Lambert, of Norwich, was the Championship winner. It''s particularly disappointing because without a doubt it''s been the toughest and hardest job I''ve done in my career. I took over a team 14 months ago that was facing relegation. I completely changed the team around in the summer, which meant it had to gel immediately. I think people look at our owners and assume we''ve spent billions, but we have actually been very thrifty with our money. To lead such a hard division almost every week of the season is something I''m very proud of and it is disappointing not to be recognised." No recognition by Warnock of the immense job that Paul Lambert did to win the award.......unlike the rest of the managers in the Championship.....[/quote]

I would also help if Colin didnt call opposing players cheats (Grant Holt), accuse NCFC of knowing people at the league so that the ITFC fixture got changed, ("Delia must be cooking for someone at the Football League") , and berating the referees ONLY when he loses. This award is, I believe, voted for by the other managers, and I am sure that the manner in which PL has conducted himself throughout the season has played a major part.  

[quote user="Canarino"]It''s bad form not to be gracious in defeat. Warnock has no class.[/quote]

I have to agree totally, no class whatsoever. The man is an embarrassment, as is the column he writes in an otherwise half-decent paper, The Independent. Without fail, every week, we get the latest report of what his family are doing at school, etc. Fine, he is a proud family man, but that is not what I am looking for on the sports page.

I think what he has said is laughable.

He goes on about turning a team of relegation candidates around to being league champions.

They certainly didn''t have Taraabt then did they? Or quite a few other players he has signed. Sure they may not have spent a lot of money in transfers but I bet they have in wages.

I find it hugely laughable that he is angered he is the only manager of a league winner that hasn''t won manager of the season.

Fergie has won it for Man U''s overall success this season, despite having no real form star player and still managing to get to the Champions League final. The two leagues bellow rely on the ability of managers much more than cheque books and the fact of the matter is we have battled to get into 2nd - ahead of Cardiff who have spent and arguably gambled a lot of money and were favourites for most of the season.

Bah, a whinging old man. He has never been widely accepted by the management fraternity because of his constant moaning. It''s always how his team has been robbed of this or treated harshly by that.

Well, i personally can''t see why such a likeable, popular and widely respected character like Colin wouldn''t win the awar.....Oh, oh yeah [:D]