Sign in to follow this  
Downloads

Who says they are Championship standard??

I think we should get away from this notion that we will be signing good Championship quality players.

Beckford - Signed from league one, scored 8 for Everton, finishing top scorer and playing for an Everton who came seventh. Lets ask Everton if that was a failure.

Also away from the notion that we are going to get a striker who scores 20 in this league. The equivilent of 20 in the Championship is probably 8-10 in the Prem as a guess.

Because the players we have haven''t been tested int he Prem, we have no idea which ones will look out of their depth and which ones will flourish like Charlie Adams. For all we know the first eleven we have may improve further and already be Prem standard.

Vaughan - The lad has had injuries and was 1 in 3. Now there is no way (Would love to be proved wrong) he will score 1 in 3 in the Prem, but I believe his play will improve if he goes injury free and Lambert also knows how to bring players on.

In short I just don''t think we should assume the players we get will be the standard we buy from. A lot of the current Prem players came from the the Championship and below!

Mate - 99% of the time Beckford was woeful. I''ve enough toffee mates telling me this.Championship is his limit so far.

That''s not to say Vaughan is woeful too - I''m quite happy with this signing as all the Everton fans are sad to see him go.

As PL has stated on numerous occasions, our current squad have earned the right to play at this level. They''ve only had a handful of premier league appearances throughout the entire squad and as a team, they have a lot to prove. Yes, Lambert will bring in players to strengthen what we already have but i don''t think he''ll be majorly disrupting the team we already have. PL will add competition for places, no one we bring in will be a ''first name on the teamsheet'' without having earned it in his performances first.Personally i think we''ll start next season with a pretty similar team to how we ended this season, just with more quality throughout the squad. It is unquestionably, a massive step up for the squad, but they''ve earned the right to play against the big boys now. Some of the football we played last season was more than worthy of gracing the pitches of Old Trafford, Stamford Bridge, Anfield and the Emirates.I''m sure Lambert will invest wisely in players he believes can make the step up and help the lads already here and no one can label someone ''championship standard'' without them having a chance to player at a higher level. For example, before the Scunthorpe game, would people have said Simeon Jackson was even Championship standard? Players need chances to prove themselves and this is the one thing Paul Lambert has used to his advantage tremendously and long may it continue.

[quote user="NWC"]Mate - 99% of the time Beckford was woeful. I''ve enough toffee mates telling me this.
Championship is his limit so far.
[/quote]

Thats fair enough mate, although my point wasn''t really about Beckford. However you can''t really call Beckford''s time a fialure if he ended up top scorer at Everton finishing seventh. Surely that would indicate that Everton''s season was a failure - Whereas they finished about as high as they could have expected. Jumping up 2 leagues and a first season in the Prem, I don''t think 8 is a bad return personally. Only my humble opinion.

Agree the poster above though, until they play we don''t know how good they will be - So predicting someone''s form next season is nigh on impossible! I''m going to assume Vaughan will be a revelation! (fingers crossed)

[quote user="Curious Canary"]As PL has stated on numerous occasions, our current squad have earned the right to play at this level. They''ve only had a handful of premier league appearances throughout the entire squad and as a team, they have a lot to prove. Yes, Lambert will bring in players to strengthen what we already have but i don''t think he''ll be majorly disrupting the team we already have. PL will add competition for places, no one we bring in will be a ''first name on the teamsheet'' without having earned it in his performances first.Personally i think we''ll start next season with a pretty similar team to how we ended this season, just with more quality throughout the squad. It is unquestionably, a massive step up for the squad, but they''ve earned the right to play against the big boys now. Some of the football we played last season was more than worthy of gracing the pitches of Old Trafford, Stamford Bridge, Anfield and the Emirates.I''m sure Lambert will invest wisely in players he believes can make the step up and help the lads already here and no one can label someone ''championship standard'' without them having a chance to player at a higher level. For example, before the Scunthorpe game, would people have said Simeon Jackson was even Championship standard? Players need chances to prove themselves and this is the one thing Paul Lambert has used to his advantage tremendously and long may it continue.[/quote]YES I would have said so.What''s more Jimmy Floyd Hasselbaink seemed to think that Simeon would do well in the Premiership (and he should know what makes a good striker at that level).  Some of our fans have of course written Simeon off for next season already, just because we have signed one striker who will challenge for Simeon''s place in the side and are rumoured to be interested in another (Morison) who will probably push Holt for his place should he sign for us.We have a lot of players in our squad who are capable of doing well in the Prem, but we need more strength in depth in the squad plus one or two real quality individuals.  Vaughan was a great signing in my opinion and Morsion would be too.

I''m agreeing with everyone here that our football was fantasy stuff at times last season, and we should not try and divert too much from this.The problem is though, we will be allowed to play this style against the also-rans in the premier league. All of these teams - you know the blackburns/wolves/fulhams/wba''s etc - these teams have spoilers who are basically told to disrupt play. I know we have played against these style of players before, but they will be obviously better at disrupting opposition play in the prem.Point being - last time out in the prem, away at Liverpool; we started off quite brightly, and I thought for a few minutes, well maybe we can get something here. Francis was doing well, winning balls and spreading the play to create attacks. Didi Haman proper clobbered francis, who basically didn''t want to know after that tackle. We lost the midfield battle and got beaten by 4 IIRC.

No I agree with you there, I think we need someone as an alternative to Fox. Fox for passing and maybe someone who can break play up and who has a good engine too.

I think we have to be prepared for all eventualities!

I think Lambert is going to potentially be quite clever with his signings. From what he has said it seems like he will buy the cream of the crop from the Championship, with the view that they will be good enough to stay up in the Premiership, which makes sense. If we do go down it means that we wont have a team who are middle aged and on high wages. We would go down with a team more than capable of competing in the Championship,who would be commanding relatively small wages and if needs be as they are young and with potential, we can sell them.

[quote user="NWC"]Mate - 99% of the time Beckford was woeful. I''ve enough toffee mates telling me this.
Championship is his limit so far.
[/quote]

Disagree. If Beckford was to leave Everton now he would go to another Premier League side, he wouldn''t have to drop down to the Championship.

He''s got height, pace and he can finish. He has the knack of scoring goals.

And, as it goes, I know a die-hard Toffee but what he actually knows about football you could fit on the back of a postage stamp.