Sign in to follow this  
flecky76

Bowyer to Norwich?

This is not speculation, just purely me thinking that this would be a good signing for us. Now, before you slag this suggestion off, I really believe we need one ''old premiership experienced'' player. Lee Bowyer is available on a free transfer, scored 5 goals from midfield last season for Brum and would add some bite and experience in our midfield. Yes, he''s 34 but had a good season for Birmingham last year. Remember that we have virtually no Premiership experience in our squad, including the management team, and this could prove beneficial.

Of course, Bowyer had problems in his younger days but he''s not seemingly had any issues for the past 10 years and I believe, albeit from the outside, has matured and would add vital experience for us.

For what it''s worth, he also has close family in Norwich and I believe he would welcome the mover here.

[quote user="flecky76"]This is not speculation, just purely me thinking that this would be a good signing for us. Now, before you slag this suggestion off, I really believe we need one ''old premiership experienced'' player. Lee Bowyer is available on a free transfer, scored 5 goals from midfield last season for Brum and would add some bite and experience in our midfield. Yes, he''s 34 but had a good season for Birmingham last year. Remember that we have virtually no Premiership experience in our squad, including the management team, and this could prove beneficial. Of course, Bowyer had problems in his younger days but he''s not seemingly had any issues for the past 10 years and I believe, albeit from the outside, has matured and would add vital experience for us. For what it''s worth, he also has close family in Norwich and I believe he would welcome the mover here.[/quote]

we had virtually no championship experience last year and look where that got us [:@] oh sh*t wait we got promoted :D

so in answer to your question regarding bowyer, no thank you would rather young hungry players

[quote user="Yellow Submarine"]Do you think some one like Bowyer would intergrate with the current strong team bond we have here?[/quote]

Yes. He''s matured, would be a good signing on a free, if only for a season.

[quote user="Adam NCFC"]Bowyer is an idiot. Why would we want a mug like that? [/quote]Because he is a mug who has spent pretty much his whole career as a first team regular in lower to mid-table Premiership teams (something that next season we should be aiming to be) and he was good enough to play in a Champions League semi-final.He may have been an idiot as a youngster but in a squad bereft of Premiership experience someone who has been there and done it would not go amiss for a season if they are available on a free transfer.

Can''t really see Lee Bowyer fitting in with the "all for one and one for all" mentality of our squad to be honest.  Would also imagine his wages are on the high side.

I can see your point about Prem experience, but if there is a choice, I would leave people like that (age wise) well alone and go for a ''Whittingham'' type player. That is someone who has played in top games (U21''s, top end Championship etc)

The management may not have the Prem experience, but they certainly have the big game mentality from their own playing careers, so won''t be found wanting imo.

Yes they will have to tweek things around a bit, from how we played last season, I am sure, but am more tham confident they willbe able to handle the ''mental'' side of things.

Bowyer? No thanks

He''s not as good as what we have.

Why are so many fixated with signing players from relegated teams? Their players are in the end the reason they went down.

[quote user="Mahogany"]He''s not as good as what we have.

Why are so many fixated with signing players from relegated teams? Their players are in the end the reason they went down.[/quote]

Guess you dont want Scott Parker or Charlie Adam then?

One player is not the reason the Football Club went down.

[quote user="Mahogany"]He''s not as good as what we have.

Why are so many fixated with signing players from relegated teams? Their players are in the end the reason they went down.[/quote]

I''m not saying we should sign lee bowyer however your argument about relegated players is invalid because of one prime example in Charlie Adam who will be signed by a top 4 club but oh wait he was in a team that got relegated so he must not be good enough. GET A GRIP!!!!!!!!!

Can people put sensible subject titles so you don''t end up having to read stuff like this?

Whether he would be a disuptive influence, especially with high wage demands, I don''t know, but he does not seem to be a Lambert type, he''s hardly young, and would be only a stop-.gap.

If we did sign him, which I very much doubt, if could be only for one year. Would he come for this on lower wages?

[quote user="Pboro_Canary"][quote user="Adam NCFC"]Bowyer is an idiot. Why would we want a mug like that? [/quote]Because he is a mug who has spent pretty much his whole career as a first team regular in lower to mid-table Premiership teams (something that next season we should be aiming to be) and he was good enough to play in a Champions League semi-final.He may have been an idiot as a youngster but in a squad bereft of Premiership experience someone who has been there and done it would not go amiss for a season if they are available on a free transfer.[/quote]He was 28 when he had a fight with one of  his own team mates during a match - hardly a youngster. Some players are able to shake off the ''bad influence in the dressing room'' tag, Bowyer hasnt. Hes simply not good enough to warrant the risk of ruining the culture Lambert has built up in the last 2 seasons

When younger Bowyer was quite a reasonable player. His strengths were his engine and his tenacious tackling. As has been said he is now 34 and has slowed down considerably. The engine is nowhere as good as it was and that important piece of acceleration to get to the ball to make the tackle has now waned. As a result he gets there late and gets booked. A few years ago perhaps. Now ........... No!

If I made a list of players I wouldn''t want here he''d probably top it.

Having said that if the God that is Paul Lambert thinks differently I reserve the right to change my mind[;)]

Just to give a different slant on this I listened to a few of the phone-ins at the end of the season and all the Birmingham fans who came on said Bowyer had been their player of the season and that if the other players in their team had played like Bowyer then they wouldn''t have been relegated.

People also seem to be holding the fact that he once lamped a team-mate against Bowyer. However, the player he lamped was Keiron Dyer and in my book that''s a positive not a negative. :)

Joking aside though - like all others on here - ILIT.

[quote user="Thirsty Lizard"]However, the player he lamped was Keiron Dyer and in my book that''s a positive not a negative. :) [/quote]

I''m already reconsidering my position[;)]

If we should go for a hardened pro in midfield let it be Scotty Parker - sure pricey but he knows the club from his loan here and has a few more years in him than Bowyer and don''t think he is a "fly by nighter, seeing his career out" type player.  I think he could do a similar job that Martin Peters did for us in the late 70''s and well worth pushing the boat out for.  I accept that means less for elsewhere but he could be the player to galvanise us and gain Lambo that third LMA award in a row.