Sign in to follow this  
colneycanary

Need players with pace!

With all the players we are being linked with, the one major difference between the championship and the premiership is how much quicker the premiership is. People go on about getting experienced players in but I think we need quality players in with bags of pace to have any chance of staying up. Anyone feel the same?

I do agree yes. I like the players we are being linked with but thos so far do not address what i see as the two main areas we need to strengthen if we are to hold our own in the prem namely (1) a lack of pace at the back and down the flanks and (2) we need a better midfield shield for our defence to stop sides getting at us quite so easily. We played some great stuff last season but we won''t get away with giving prem teams the same number of chances some of our opponants had last season. Lamberts;'' not stupid though and he and Culverhouse will have identified this. i expect at least 2 of the 7 signings will be a quick winger and a strong holding midfieder. I also think we may play 4-4-2 a bit more next seasont to protect the fullbacks a bit more.

Agree with Jim Smith.

Quite wide player + strong powerful holding midfielder.

I wonder whether we might try 4-3-3 (4-5-1) at times as well.

[quote user="Wacky Waving Inflatable Arm Flailing Tube Man"][quote user="paul moy"].. and this is exactly why we should keep a player such as Cody and also buy Kebe IMO.[/quote]

Not sure where Kebe is going to fit into our system though.
[/quote]

---

But, as other posters have said, we will need alternatives to our system. Indeed we needed them this season. It would be interesting to know in how many of our 46 games did we use the diamond for the whole game. Certainly, from reading reports, there were some games in which we changed from the diamond and others in which we didn''t start with it.

One of the points about stepping up to the Premier League is that not only are the players better, but the managers are too. And particularly more tactically aware. I doubt they are unaware of the diamond and how to counteract it, but if they are now they soon won''t be.

Kebe may or  may not be the answer (he played well the one time I saw him but then so did McGugan) but we need the option of an out and out winger.

[quote user="PurpleCanary"]

[quote user="Wacky Waving Inflatable Arm Flailing Tube Man"][quote user="paul moy"].. and this is exactly why we should keep a player such as Cody and also buy Kebe IMO.[/quote]Not sure where Kebe is going to fit into our system though.[/quote]

---

But, as other posters have said, we will need alternatives to our system. Indeed we needed them this season. It would be interesting to know in how many of our 46 games did we use the diamond for the whole game. Certainly, from reading reports, there were some games in which we changed from the diamond and others in which we didn''t start with it.

One of the points about stepping up to the Premier League is that not only are the players better, but the managers are too. And particularly more tactically aware. I doubt they are unaware of the diamond and how to counteract it, but if they are now they soon won''t be.

Kebe may or  may not be the answer (he played well the one time I saw him but then so did McGugan) but we need the option of an out and out winger.

[/quote]I see what you''re saying, but due to the lack of width in our squad currently (we have McNamee and that''s about it) and after how well the diamond has worked for the past year or two, it will no doubt be the preferred system this as well.Therefore, if we were to sign Kebe, it would be as an alternative option for when Plan A isn''t working, and I''m not sure we should spending the amount of money Kebe would cost on a backup.

[quote user="Wacky Waving Inflatable Arm Flailing Tube Man"][quote user="PurpleCanary"]

[quote user="Wacky Waving Inflatable Arm Flailing Tube Man"][quote user="paul moy"].. and this is exactly why we should keep a player such as Cody and also buy Kebe IMO.[/quote]

Not sure where Kebe is going to fit into our system though.
[/quote]

---

[/quote]

I see what you''re saying, but due to the lack of width in our squad currently (we have McNamee and that''s about it) and after how well the diamond has worked for the past year or two, it will no doubt be the preferred system this as well.

Therefore, if we were to sign Kebe, it would be as an alternative option for when Plan A isn''t working, and I''m not sure we should spending the amount of money Kebe would cost on a backup.
[/quote]

---

I don''t know how much Kebe would cost (although it is the wages that really matter) but Lambert has plainly always wanted an alternative to the diamond, because he signed McNamee half way through last season, to help get us out of League One.

I suspect the reason McNamee didn''t figure much this season was because we rose so quickly and Lambert decided he wasn''t a top of the Championship level player. I will be very surprised if an out and out winger is not one of the remaining six or so players Lambert wants.

[quote user="PurpleCanary"][quote user="Wacky Waving Inflatable Arm Flailing Tube Man"][quote user="PurpleCanary"]

[quote user="Wacky Waving Inflatable Arm Flailing Tube Man"][quote user="paul moy"].. and this is exactly why we should keep a player such as Cody and also buy Kebe IMO.[/quote]Not sure where Kebe is going to fit into our system though.[/quote]

---

[/quote]I see what you''re saying, but due to the lack of width in our squad currently (we have McNamee and that''s about it) and after how well the diamond has worked for the past year or two, it will no doubt be the preferred system this as well.Therefore, if we were to sign Kebe, it would be as an alternative option for when Plan A isn''t working, and I''m not sure we should spending the amount of money Kebe would cost on a backup.[/quote]

---

I don''t know how much Kebe would cost (although it is the wages that really matter) but Lambert has plainly always wanted an alternative to the diamond, because he signed McNamee half way through last season, to help get us out of League One.

I suspect the reason McNamee didn''t figure much this season was because we rose so quickly and Lambert decided he wasn''t a top of the Championship level player. I will be very surprised if an out and out winger is not one of the remaining six or so players Lambert wants.

[/quote]Or maybe McNamee didn''t feature much because the diamond was working brilliantly- certainly well enough to get us promotion.McNamee isn''t Premier League class, I''d be surprised if anyone thinks he is, but a player with his pace and low centre of gravity will make tired defenders panic a bit in the last 20 minutes regardless of who he is up against. Personally, I''m not even convinced if he was good enough for the Championship over the course of a full 90 minutes.Whether Lambert will replace him with a better version, or just replace him, I''m not sure. I wouldn''t have said that it is nailed on that we will definitely sign a proper winger.

If McNamee was half as good as he looks like he should be we would be laughing, No pace and unable to beat his man, fully expect to see at least one out and out winger arrive, The Premier laegue is all about pace and we need to have the abilty to hit teams on the break, especially away from home, Max gradel would be a cheap option!