Sign in to follow this  
Sim086

Mackail-Smith

[quote user="Mervmeister"]Thought he looked ace again today!! Yes missed 2 chances. Early one he shew great pace and did everything right, would have been goal if not for immense defending. 2nd chance he admiteed hmself he thrashed at, but he never let it bother him. Worked his socks off and for me would be best striker at this club. People saying he aint good enough but some of those saying this want cody mac to be given a chance lol. You really think Cody would hit over 30 goals at League 1 level? lol Be realistic guys, there arent gonna be many (if any) better strikers within our range, i''d take him in a heart beat. Poss too late now we signed Vaughan tho as I think Lambert will want a player similar to Holt for his other striker signing (Morrison)[/quote]

best striker at our club? jog on

Who is better then mate? Simeon? lol cus his goal scoring record was as good as mackails in league 1? lol. Mackail -> Simeon, Mackail -> Martin, Mackail -> Vaughan. Holt completely different striker and can''t really be compared. I know who i''d rather

I''d still have him here but Delboy Fry needs to realise that, even with promotion to the Championship, CMS is still not worth £3m.

Vaughn cost us "in excess of £1.5m" so there is no way Posh can ask for anymore than that. I think I''d be more inclined to say leave him for now and monitor his progress until january.

[quote user="Mervmeister"]Who is better then mate? Simeon? lol cus his goal scoring record was as good as mackails in league 1? lol. Mackail -> Simeon, Mackail -> Martin, Mackail -> Vaughan. Holt completely different striker and can''t really be compared. I know who i''d rather[/quote]

jackson played in a team that got relegated, and has got us promoted to them prem, what planet you on? theres no way of really knowing of course but i think you are being completely disrespectful to the strikers at our club who got us promoted to the prem saying a guy in league one who has had one good season, he only scored 13 in his season the championship is better then holt and jackson, as previously said jog on i just hope if the players read this message board that they ignore comments like yours and realise 99.9% of us are behind them.

[quote user="Paint Me Yellow"]I''d still have him here but Delboy Fry needs to realise that, even with promotion to the Championship, CMS is still not worth £3m.

Vaughn cost us "in excess of £1.5m" so there is no way Posh can ask for anymore than that. I think I''d be more inclined to say leave him for now and monitor his progress until january.[/quote]He''ll be long gone by then. Either in the Prem or with a top Championship club.

Depends which Simeon turns up next season. Remember 90% of people on this site were slating him before he hit some late form.

Its not being disrespecful, its called having an opinion. I never said Holt and Jackson were crap, just said IMO i''d have Mackail.

Now if something is wrong with that then maybe I should leave this forum as I would disagree with people biting my arse off for having a different opinion to some others.

O OK so on one game he is not good enough - do premiership players not miss chances and in some cases sitters - we will just forget the other 34 goals he has scored this season then

So are a top Championship club going to pay 3m for a League 1 striker ?  No chance. He''s totally unproven and overpriced..  [:D] 

[quote user="Bomber"]O OK so on one game he is not good enough - do premiership players not miss chances and in some cases sitters - we will just forget the other 34 goals he has scored this season then[/quote]

if we are using that theory then cody is good enough?

[quote user="simo86"]

[quote user="Bomber"]O OK so on one game he is not good enough - do premiership players not miss chances and in some cases sitters - we will just forget the other 34 goals he has scored this season then[/quote]

if we are using that theory then cody is good enough?

[/quote]

We''ll have to wait and see, but at least it won''t cost us 3m to see him fail.

according to their chairman after the game he will be leaving, 11 clubs have made bids a few championship and prem teams , but he wants it to turn into a bidding war

Fry said in interview on 5 Live after the match that the Chairman has promised CMS, Joe Lewis and George Boyd that they can all go this summer, they won''t stand in their way, "as long as the money is right".  No opinion on CMS really, as others have said he must be third striker on shopping list now, and would mean a major clear out at Carra Rudd - think his coming is looking more remote - unless Morrison doesn''t sign.

[quote user="paul moy"]So are a top Championship club going to pay 3m for a League 1 striker ?  No chance. He''s totally unproven and overpriced..  [:D] [/quote]

---

Paul, I doubt Peterborough expect £3m from a Championship side now. When we were interested it was a seller''s market. We wanted to strengthen our push for promotion. And Peterborough could ask a high price for that reason, and because they could argue selling him would damage THEIR promotion chances.

As, as it turned out, it would have done. Fry was actually right to say he wouldn''t have accepted £5m. Everyone goes on about the financial rewards of going from the Championship to the PL, but it pays to go from League One to the Championship. Peterborough could probably accept £1m for CMS now (compared even to £5m) and still be in profit because the promotion he''s helped get them will make up the difference.

People keep going on about the number of goals he''s scored. That does not tell the whole story. Quality over quantity every time. As you go up the divisions you need more & more variety & subtlety to your game to score consistently. Ther''ve been a lot of strikers who''ve started off brightly, but faded once the other teams have worked them out. CMS just looks a bit one dimensional (well two - hard work & pace). He will score at a higher level, but I think his effectiveness will drop off rapidly.Ashton never scored more than, I believe, 19 goals in a season for Crewe. Is CMS therefore more likely to score in the Prem. than Dean? Let me see

[quote user="PurpleCanary"]

[quote user="paul moy"]So are a top Championship club going to pay 3m for a League 1 striker ?  No chance. He''s totally unproven and overpriced..  [:D] [/quote]

---

Paul, I doubt Peterborough expect £3m from a Championship side now. When we were interested it was a seller''s market. We wanted to strengthen our push for promotion. And Peterborough could ask a high price for that reason, and because they could argue selling him would damage THEIR promotion chances.

As, as it turned out, it would have done. Fry was actually right to say he wouldn''t have accepted £5m. Everyone goes on about the financial rewards of going from the Championship to the PL, but it pays to go from League One to the Championship. Peterborough could probably accept £1m for CMS now (compared even to £5m) and still be in profit because the promotion he''s helped get them will make up the difference.

[/quote]

I said earlier in this thread that we should not pay more than about 1m with perhaps a few add-ons for Prem goals that I would not expect us to have to pay.  At that price he is perhaps worth a gamble, but if other clubs are offering more, I say let him go and let''s not get involved in an inflated bidding-war. 

[quote user="paul moy"][quote user="PurpleCanary"]

---

[/quote]

I said earlier in this thread that we should not pay more than about 1m with perhaps a few add-ons for Prem goals that I would not expect us to have to pay.  At that price he is perhaps worth a gamble, but if other clubs are offering more, I say let him go and let''s not get involved in an inflated bidding-war. 

[/quote]

Paul, I''ve never seen him play so I''ll trust your judgment! What you say about price does sound about right. In any event is there any hard evidence we are still interested, having signed Vaughan? I suspect we have moved on.

[quote user="ron obvious"]
People keep going on about the number of goals he''s scored. That does not tell the whole story.

Quality over quantity every time.

As you go up the divisions you need more & more variety & subtlety to your game to score consistently. Ther''ve been a lot of strikers who''ve started off brightly, but faded once the other teams have worked them out.
CMS just looks a bit one dimensional (well two - hard work & pace). He will score at a higher level, but I think his effectiveness will drop off rapidly.

Ashton never scored more than, I believe, 19 goals in a season for Crewe. Is CMS therefore more likely to score in the Prem. than Dean? Let me see

[/quote]

I absolutely agree. CMS does not score quality goals, most being from only a few yards, and virtually nothing with his head. He has only scored so many in Div 1 IMO because of the way ''boro play, with no consideration to defence and emphasis on gung-ho attacking.  When he last played in the Champs, he scored all of 10 goals in about 40 games. That does not augur well for the Prem, where as you say, versatility in goalscoring is key.

I really cannot believe that people think from one game in which he scored a (lucky?) goal but missed two chances that all of a sudden we are far better than him! He wants to go, there are a few clubs interested, but he wants to go. He is now worth probably £2m + add ons. He is still a prolific goalscorer and I would be very happy to see him here!

[quote user="CRAZY LEGS"]would love to see him here 2m sounds fair but reckon they will want more[/quote]Anyone who can stick the ball in the net can command a high fee. That''s why strikers cost you so much more than players in other positions.I doubt they''ll have much trouble getting £3 million.

[quote user="paul moy"]

People keep going on about the number of goals he''s scored. That does not tell the whole story.

As you go up the divisions you need more & more variety & subtlety to your game to score consistently. Ther''ve been a lot of strikers who''ve started off brightly, but faded once the other teams have worked them out.
CMS just looks a bit one dimensional (well two - hard work & pace). He will score at a higher level, but I think his effectiveness will drop off rapidly.

Ashton never scored more than, I believe, 19 goals in a season for Crewe. Is CMS therefore more likely to score in the Prem. than Dean? Let me see

[/quote]

I absolutely agree. CMS does not score quality goals, most being from only a few yards, and virtually nothing with his head. He has only scored so many in Div 1 IMO because of the way ''boro play, with no consideration to defence and emphasis on gung-ho attacking.  When he last played in the Champs, he scored all of 10 goals in about 40 games. That does not augur well for the Prem, where as you say, versatility in goalscoring is key.

[/quote]

...thats 1 more than Vaughan got in the championship last season.....and we''ve apparantly just spent £2.5m on him !!?!

not worth 3 million but worth a bid the guy chases and doesnt give defenders anytime i personally would like to see him

here his goal scoring record this season has been great albeit at a lower level.although i think we maybe one of many interested teams.

[quote user="GJL Mid-Norfolk Canary"][quote user="paul moy"]

[/quote]

[/quote] ...thats 1 more than Vaughan got in the championship last season.....and we''ve apparantly just spent £2.5m on him !!?![/quote]

Yeah but CMS scored 10 goals in 45 appearences 2009-2010, whereas Vaughan scored 1 less goal in 30 appearences, so 15 less games than CMS

[quote user="alysha"][quote user="GJL Mid-Norfolk Canary"][quote user="paul moy"]

[quote user="ron obvious"]People keep going on about the number of goals he''s scored. That does not tell the whole story. Quality over quantity every time. As you go up the divisions you need more & more variety & subtlety to your game to score consistently. Ther''ve been a lot of strikers who''ve started off brightly, but faded once the other teams have worked them out. CMS just looks a bit one dimensional (well two - hard work & pace). He will score at a higher level, but I think his effectiveness will drop off rapidly.Ashton never scored more than, I believe, 19 goals in a season for Crewe. Is CMS therefore more likely to score in the Prem. than Dean? Let me see[/quote]

[/quote] ...thats 1 more than Vaughan got in the championship last season.....and we''ve apparantly just spent £2.5m on him !!?![/quote]

Yeah but CMS scored 10 goals in 45 appearences 2009-2010, whereas Vaughan scored 1 less goal in 30 appearences, so 15 less games than CMS

[/quote]Actually was 43 not 45 and some were from the bench. I think 10 is a good return from a team that did awful, finished bottom and went through 4 managers. While Vaughan only got 9 at a team that stayed up, only 1 more then Danns & 2 more then Ambrose, who are both midfielders.

I cannot believe some of the things I am reading on here about goalscorers!

"Quality over quantity every time" ......... are you serious? Are you saying you would prefer a striker who gets 10 goals a season with tremendous drives from outside the box or one that scores 20 when a few go in off his arse? 10 goals are 10 goals 20 is 20 and it''s goals that count! You keep your 10, I''ll have the 20. Some people are just natural goalscorers.

"I absolutely agree. CMS does not score quality goals, most being from only a few yards, and virtually nothing with his head." ........... I believe there was a chap called Lineker a few years back ...... he didn''t score too many headers and I think I can remember an England hattrick from inside the the 6 yard box ..... he would call them ''proper'' goals and I would not disagree. His 48 international goals and goals for Leicester, Everton, Barcelona and Spurs weren''t perhaps ''quality'' goals but ............ they were goals.

Depending upon price, sign him and if CMS can score goals, personally, I wouldn''t care how he scored them. 

Picking over the exact no. of goals is irrelevant. There are too many variables.Obviously a decent striker will get well into double figures in the lower leagues. The nature of the goals is much more informative, however.Malcolm Macdonald was one of the worst English strikers I ever saw. He scored 5 goals against Cyprus.

[quote user="Yellow Wall"]

I cannot believe some of the things I am reading on here about goalscorers!

"Quality over quantity every time" ......... are you serious? Are you saying you would prefer a striker who gets 10 goals a season with tremendous drives from outside the box or one that scores 20 when a few go in off his arse? 10 goals are 10 goals 20 is 20 and it''s goals that count! You keep your 10, I''ll have the 20. Some people are just natural goalscorers.

"I absolutely agree. CMS does not score quality goals, most being from only a few yards, and virtually nothing with his head." ........... I believe there was a chap called Lineker a few years back ...... he didn''t score too many headers and I think I can remember an England hattrick from inside the the 6 yard box ..... he would call them ''proper'' goals and I would not disagree. His 48 international goals and goals for Leicester, Everton, Barcelona and Spurs weren''t perhaps ''quality'' goals but ............ they were goals.

Depending upon price, sign him and if CMS can score goals, personally, I wouldn''t care how he scored them. 

[/quote]Oh dear, you have missed the point entirely! He is saying he would rather have, for example, 3 good strikers than 5 average ones!