Sign in to follow this  
Sim086

Mackail-Smith

Ummmm No -

People keep going on about the number of goals he''s scored. That does not tell the whole story.

Quality over quantity every time.

As you go up the divisions you need more & more variety & subtlety to your game to score consistently. Ther''ve been a lot of strikers who''ve started off brightly, but faded once the other teams have worked them out.
CMS just looks a bit one dimensional (well two - hard work & pace). He will score at a higher level, but I think his effectiveness will drop off rapidly.

Ashton never scored more than, I believe, 19 goals in a season for Crewe. Is CMS therefore more likely to score in the Prem. than Dean? Let me see

I just can''t see us signing 3 striker. Vaughan is doen, Morison is on the cards. Also I just don''t think he is a Premierhip player. If we don''t sign Morison, Graham or Maynard are better options than Mackail-Smith.

[quote user="natncfc"]You dont know till he gets a chance to prove himself. Why cant he be prem class? If he isnt, then is any of our squad prem class? How many goals does he need to score before you class him as prem class? was dj cambell? was beckford when he was signed for everton? Is holt prem class? In lambert i trust and trust me, he was not willing to shell out 2.5 mil in march for a player he didnt think was going to make it next season.

I look forward to his arrival alot more than vaughans i am affraid, but i trust our boss. Why wouldn''t we?[/quote]This is a very fair point.We''ve just been promoted, Premiership experience in our squad at present is virtually nil, but most people on here aren''t expecting that to have much bearing on anything. Who''s to say that our existing players won''t be completely outclassed in the top flight ? Personally I think most of them will adjust pretty well but it''s still a big ask.Someone said CMS is '' one dimensional '' and another said only scores close range goals. He still has to be in the right place to do that and it''s a priceless skill if a player has that sixth sense.Older posters will remember Ted MacDougall - the original '' Supermac '' - who played for City in the 1970''s having made his name at Bournemouth. I doubt if there''s ever been a more '' one dimensional  '' player but we were quite happy to see him banging the goals in the top flight when he arrived at Carrow Rd via unproductive and unhappy spells at Old Trafford and Upton Park.Assuming the arrival of Vaughan hasn''t scuppered a deal for CMS then we should sign try to him for a reasonable up-front fee but with loads of add-ons to arrive at a final figure of around £3 million over time.It should be money well spent.

[quote user="......and Smith must score."][quote user="natncfc"]You dont know till he gets a chance to prove himself. Why cant he be prem class? If he isnt, then is any of our squad prem class? How many goals does he need to score before you class him as prem class? was dj cambell? was beckford when he was signed for everton? Is holt prem class? In lambert i trust and trust me, he was not willing to shell out 2.5 mil in march for a player he didnt think was going to make it next season. I look forward to his arrival alot more than vaughans i am affraid, but i trust our boss. Why wouldn''t we?[/quote]

This is a very fair point.

We''ve just been promoted, Premiership experience in our squad at present is virtually nil, but most people on here aren''t expecting that to have much bearing on anything. Who''s to say that our existing players won''t be completely outclassed in the top flight ? Personally I think most of them will adjust pretty well but it''s still a big ask.

Someone said CMS is '' one dimensional '' and another said only scores close range goals. He still has to be in the right place to do that and it''s a priceless skill if a player has that sixth sense.

Older posters will remember Ted MacDougall - the original '' Supermac '' - who played for City in the 1970''s having made his name at Bournemouth. I doubt if there''s ever been a more '' one dimensional  '' player but we were quite happy to see him banging the goals in the top flight when he arrived at Carrow Rd via unproductive and unhappy spells at Old Trafford and Upton Park.

Assuming the arrival of Vaughan hasn''t scuppered a deal for CMS then we should sign try to him for a reasonable up-front fee but with loads of add-ons to arrive at a final figure of around £3 million over time.

It should be money well spent.

Fully agree.

[/quote]

I quite like the lad myself all good strikers miss chances but his work rate to get in positions is brilliant has a great attitude would bet on him getting more goals than vaughan to be honest. He worked his nxts off today knowing he is not going to be there next season a typical Lambert sort of player imo.

[quote user="ricky knight"]I quite like the lad myself all good strikers miss chances but his work rate to get in positions is brilliant has a great attitude would bet on him getting more goals than vaughan to be honest. He worked his nxts off today knowing he is not going to be there next season a typical Lambert sort of player imo.[/quote]

Didn''t see today''s game but I agree and would like to see him here. Our forwards are going to have to work very hard next season. Smithy''s post also sums up my feelings.

Nice to see you posting Ricky....

Have a good week ''til next week[H]

I find it quite humourous that the most stated qualities of CMS are his pace, work ethic and how he never gives the defence a moment to settle. Yet for half a season, Jackson did all these things and many fans offered him no support, strange that isn''t it?

As others have already said, now we have Vaughan I don''t think we will be looking at him anymore as the priority is likely to switch to a bigger striker to challenge Holt for a place.If we can still pick him up for a smallish outlay upfront linked to add ons though it would be nice to have him. I saw him play a few times for Posh when in Champs and when they were last in League 1 and was not always that impressed, but of late his all round game has come on in leaps.Our last few signings from Peterborough have not worked out that bad at the end of the day...

[quote user="Gareth"]I find it quite humourous that the most stated qualities of CMS are his pace, work ethic and how he never gives the defence a moment to settle. Yet for half a season, Jackson did all these things and many fans offered him no support, strange that isn''t it?[/quote]

Quite right Gareth - and also those qualities (perhaps not top notch pace!) can be said about Holt also? I know Holt scores goals also - oh, so does CMS.

CMS''s attitude seems to be superb, and IF we signed him, and IF we were to be relegated next year, he seems like he wouldn''t throw his toys out of the pram and want to move.

To everyone saying he''s too "one dimensional" and "only scores from 6 yards"... go have a look at the career of one Pippo Inzaghi.

3 Scudetto

1 Coppa Italia

1 Supercoppa

2 Champions League titles

2 UEFA Super cups

1 Club World Cup

1 World Cup.

He''s acheived all that despite having little technical ability, work rate or anything. He''s got one outstanding quality and thats the ability to be in the right place at the right time. CMS has similar qualities in terms of his positions and movement.

I''d love CMS here personally. 

[quote user="ricky knight"]I quite like the lad myself all good strikers miss chances but his work rate to get in positions is brilliant has a great attitude would bet on him getting more goals than vaughan to be honest. He worked his nxts off today knowing he is not going to be there next season a typical Lambert sort of player imo.[/quote]

I''ll take that bet, but only if CMS plays at the same level next season.

[quote user="Gareth"]I find it quite humourous that the most stated qualities of CMS are his pace, work ethic and how he never gives the defence a moment to settle. Yet for half a season, Jackson did all these things and many fans offered him no support, strange that isn''t it?[/quote]You forgot to mention CMS was at the same time scoring plenty of goals, Simeon Jackson wasn''t.Not really strange is it ?

And now Posh  say 2 bids in from Premier league clubs, I think this is Mr Barry Fry on the wind up and pushing his luck

[quote user="......and Smith must score."][quote user="Gareth"]I find it quite humourous that the most stated qualities of CMS are his pace, work ethic and how he never gives the defence a moment to settle. Yet for half a season, Jackson did all these things and many fans offered him no support, strange that isn''t it?[/quote]You forgot to mention CMS was at the same time scoring plenty of goals, Simeon Jackson wasn''t.Not really strange is it ?[/quote]Firslty, two different levels CMS was scoring agianst teams like Exeter and Oldham whilst Jackson scored against teams like Watford, Portsmouth and Bristol City. Secondly I''d back Jackson to score as many goals as CMS in the current Peterborough team seeing as Jackson scored 14 goals in a poor Gillingham side often upfront by himself. CMS suddenly has one exceedingly good season at league 1 (which is no supprise as most of the P''boro team are good players at league 1) and he''s (apparently) exactly what we need! I find it incredibly frustrating that what CMS is so often praised for in League 1 is completly ignored in regard to Jackson when, frankly, both would score a similar ammount of goals at the same level.

[quote user="pete_norw"]And now Posh  say 2 bids in from Premier league clubs, I think this is Mr Barry Fry on the wind up and pushing his luck[/quote]Well QPR ,Norwich and Everton were all linked in this mornings press so it could be true.

i say get him , do a deal of some sort . chris martin + £ or whoever / whatever . imagine cms coming on after 70mins when opposition are getting tired !!!! the bloke is red bulled up !!!

Holt, Jackson, Vaughan, Morison and CMS? That would be sick - not a single one of them would let the defences rest. CMS does look like a tough s.o.b I must admit. If we''re playing the diamond we really do need pressure from the front and all those boys could apply that.

[quote user="Lambo"]

To everyone saying he''s too "one dimensional" and "only scores from 6 yards"... go have a look at the career of one Pippo Inzaghi.

3 Scudetto

1 Coppa Italia

1 Supercoppa

2 UEFA Super cups

1 Club World Cup

1 World Cup.

[/quote]Yeah, great comparison.  Next week: Cody Macdonald versus Gary Lineker.

pete_norwich wrote "And now Posh say 2 bids in from Premier league clubs, I think this is Mr Barry Fry on the wind up and pushing his luck"

Blimey that''s a relief, I thought he said 22 clubs were after him. lol.

Apparently he is going to the prem and fergy junior said his replacement is already lined up. Maybe a part exchange deal? Chrissy or Cody going the other way?

Having said that, Paul Lambert''s list of targets were given to David McNally some time ago and negotiations have been going on for a while with these targets.

According to Motty on 5Live tonight, the talk was CMS was going to Norwich, at today''s play-off final. Incidently, Motty also named Norwich as his team of the season

[quote user="ziggy"]i say get him , do a deal of some sort . chris martin + £ or whoever / whatever . imagine cms coming on after 70mins when opposition are getting tired !!!! the bloke is red bulled up !!![/quote]Chris Martin is ten times better than Craig Mackail-Smith.  Honestly what planet are some of you lot on?If any of our strikers had of missed the couple of clear cut chances Mackail-Smith had on Sunday before scufing one in off a poor defensive effort from a tired looking Huddersfield then you lot would be ripping them apart.Would rather have Morison, Maynard or Graham over Mackail-Smith any day and I think that Morison is the player we ought to be going for. Morison has the most physical presence of these players and that is what we are now lacking in our forward line more than anything else when Holty is either not playing or struggling with his fitness.  It is also clear to see that Morison wants to sign for us and so I would definitely go for him.

[quote user="Mister Chops"][quote user="Lambo"]

3 Scudetto

1 Coppa Italia

1 Supercoppa

2 UEFA Super cups

1 Club World Cup

1 World Cup.

[/quote]Yeah, great comparison.  Next week: Cody Macdonald versus Gary Lineker.[/quote]

Why''s it wrong exactly??

All it was saying was you don''t have to have bags of talent to put the ball in the net.

Jesus christ people on this board can be arses at times.

Latest "news" is we are out of the hunt.http://www.metro.co.uk/sport/football/864730-craig-mackail-smith-to-ignite-bidding-war-between-qpr-everton-and-wigan

Chairman said yesterday he will be earning 25-30k next season. Do we pay that highly???? I dont think so and bloody hope not either.

It may have been mentioned already, but a huge stumbling block would be that Peterborough basically burnt their bridges by agreeing the transfer in January then pulling out after the agreement was made, would Mcnally go back for CMS, i doubt it. Especially now we are in a much better position than we were then.

[quote user="foxruels"]Latest "news" is we are out of the hunt.

http://www.metro.co.uk/sport/football/864730-craig-mackail-smith-to-ignite-bidding-war-between-qpr-everton-and-wigan

[/quote]

Glad you stated that it was "news", because if there ever was a report that put 0.1 and 0.1 together to get 2....