Sign in to follow this  
First Wizard

Villa after new manager?

Yes, we should.  The 2 clubs that are most likely to interest Lambert as his next step up the ladder are Villa and Everton.  Villa are reportedly intererested in both Moyes and Lambert so we could end up losing him to either.

Nope, from what I understand Villa have been sounding out Rafa Benitez as a new manager.

Randy Lerner isn''t going to lose Martin O''Neill just to replace him with Martin O''Neill light (which Lambert still is).

The Sunday Express had Benitez off to do the national team job for Turkey, so that Guus Hiddinck could go to Chelskov ?  Probably means less than nothing though - if I were Benitez, I''d much rather be based in Birmingham than sunning myself in Turkey. [:)]

Benitez definitely wants to manage in England, he was on Sky Sports a week or so ago saying so. He likes the way the manager is usually pretty much in charge of everything over here rather than the continental style where he was basically only in charge of tactics and picking the team.

Lambert isn''t going anywhere over the summer. When he agreed to the new contract he would have been well aware that the Villa job was likely to be available and that others were bound to come up.

As a group of fans we are acting far too much like a needy and paranoid partner. If we keep on telling him he is too good for us and accusing him wanting to leave us we might just find that it becomes a self-fulfilling prophecy.

I think the whole Lambert signing a new deal might put Villa off to be honest. Big compensation packet.

I have to say, I think Houllier health scare has probably been a blessing in disguise for them, they seemed to pick up alot with McAllister taking over.

[quote user="blahblahblah"]The Sunday Express had Benitez off to do the national team job for Turkey, so that Guus Hiddinck could go to Chelskov ?  Probably means less than nothing though - if I were Benitez, I''d much rather be based in Birmingham than sunning myself in Turkey. [:)]
[/quote]

Benitez has said he wants to stay in England (his family still live here despite his brief stint in Italy). Can''t see the Turkey job really interesting him, but if the money is good enough it might.

While I agree to some extent with what Mahogany says above I have to say that I think this may be something to worry about.

The Lambert to Burnley rumours were laughable and Lambert to West Ham was equally as ridiculous. However, if, (and it''s a big if) Villa were interested in Paul Lambert then in my opinion they would be a club of the size that might tempt him.

Not yet, i think many clubs will monitor how he gets on next season first. it would be a big gamble still and would probably upset alot of the fans after an experienced european manager.

I seem to remember getting shot down for a similar post before the new deal. He was 2nd fav in the betting for villa, a much bigger threat than west ham or bunrley ever was.

Villa or Everton are two clubs I can envisage PL managing - but not yet. 

Unless someone is prepared to take a chance he needs to prove himself capable of handling the Premiership first. Take a look at the fortunes of the top-performing Championship managers from last season:

Newcastle - Chris Hughton - lost his job, currently without a club.

WBA - Roberto Di Matteo - same as above.

Blackpool - Ian Holloway - currently still in situ but relegated.

It doesn''t make good reading from a loyalty point-of-view does it? And these were the successful managers last season!

[quote user="Mahogany"] As a group of fans we are acting far too much like a needy and paranoid partner. If we keep on telling him he is too good for us and accusing him wanting to leave us we might just find that it becomes a self-fulfilling prophecy.[/quote]

I completely agree with this.  Had we not been promoted, I think we would have had legitimate cause for concern.  In the event, Lambert is clearly very happy here, has got the whole of the club behind him and has his own squad and a committment to invest as he sees fit.

The time may well come for Lambert to up-sticks, but given our promotion and given the board (and fans) are absolutely aligned and behind his vision, I would be very surprised if he were to leave any time soon. 

Completely recognise that his stock''s high and that he''s an ambitious man, but Lambert''s onto something special here and he''s no mug.

Worry not and let''s simply enjoy the here and now. 

Although it is obvious that PL has huge potential, I would have thought that Villa (and Everton, when/if the time comes) would be looking for someone with a lot more experience, certainly of managing in the Premier League or equivalent level in another country.

If Martin O''Neill is Paul Lambert''s mentor as he has said in the past, would Martin O''Neill be likely to recommend that Lambert takes his old job at Villa Park ?. Something went on behind the scenes to cause O''Neill to leave of his own accord and the dispute has only just been settled.

[quote user="Armchair Follower"]If Martin O''Neill is Paul Lambert''s mentor as he has said in the past, would Martin O''Neill be likely to recommend that Lambert takes his old job at Villa Park ?. Something went on behind the scenes to cause O''Neill to leave of his own accord and the dispute has only just been settled.[/quote]

Villa sold Barry and Milner against O''Neill''s wishes and also refused to allow him to reinvest the funds generated, perhaps because of his alleged poor record in the transfer market. O''Neill simply became frustrated and lost patience with them and for that reason I can hardly see him recommending them for Lambert.  

[quote user="paul moy"]

[quote user="Armchair Follower"]If Martin O''Neill is Paul Lambert''s mentor as he has said in the past, would Martin O''Neill be likely to recommend that Lambert takes his old job at Villa Park ?. Something went on behind the scenes to cause O''Neill to leave of his own accord and the dispute has only just been settled.[/quote]

Villa sold Barry and Milner against O''Neill''s wishes and also refused to allow him to reinvest the funds generated, perhaps because of his alleged poor record in the transfer market. O''Neill simply became frustrated and lost patience with them and for that reason I can hardly see him recommending them for Lambert.  

[/quote]

It was reported as being about the amount of money being spent on player wages and not keeping it to the budget. Who knows whether that is the truth or not?

According to Talksport this morning, Hughes was the betting favourite for the job.

If Martin O''Neill is Paul Lambert''s mentor as he has said in the past, would Martin O''Neill be likely to recommend that Lambert takes his old job at Villa Park ?. Something went on behind the scenes to cause O''Neill to leave of his own accord and the dispute has only just been settled.

----------------------------------------

It was reported as being about the amount of money  spent on player wages and not keeping it to the budget. Who knows whether that is the truth or not?

According to Talksport this morning, Hughes was the betting favourite for the job.

Oops two ''being'' in there so I have taken one out.

Usually stable, consistently in the Prem, just outside the very top tier clubs. Ideal for someone like PL to go after Norwich, then maybe a move to one of the big 3 or 4 clubs.

"Ideal for someone like PL to go after Norwich"

eh !

You must be having a laugh. Both a perennial failures, that will be there or there abouts ... usually.

Lambert has pretty much full control here, the squad is the one he has assembled and will be able to work with. If he succeeds as well as I think he will, then he will be able to pick the club he wants. That success will however take a while, as it will take a while to find his feet in the Premier League. This is a amssive leap from wycombe and Colchester.

The idea that after ''climbing the ladder'' and getting himself into that position, a few years hence, he would then take the risk of sliding back ''down the snake'' by wasting time at a couple of ''going nowhere'' clubs is ridiculous.

What if he fails here ? Then I doubt even those supposed stepping stones will not want him.

The one thing that has struck me about Paul Lambert is that he is a man of his word and NOT a liar! So, when he says that he has never wanted to leave Norwich I tend to believe him. Having just signed a new contract, why would he destroy his credibility by jumping at the first opportunity? Come on guys, lets not be totally stupid about this!

There wont be any links if we all stop talking about it. The Man signed a new contract and has stated he is not going anywhere. End of story.