Sign in to follow this  
When Saturday Comes

Mark Bright - Twitter

Sounds like bullshit, considering i''ve message him on Facebook and spoken to him about the affair.

[img[http://f.cl.ly/items/442a273I053j0a1f1j3F/Screen%20shot%202011-05-31%20at%2022.26.59.png[/img]

http://f.cl.ly/items/442a273I053j0a1f1j3F/Screen%20shot%202011-05-31%20at%2022.26.59.png

Conversation screen shot.

[quote user="Browno"]Sounds like b*****t, considering i''ve message him on Facebook and spoken to him about the affair.[/quote]

“I know that some of the stuff I have said is wrong…there are

comments I should have thought about before I posted them,” added

O’Donoughoe.

“In the end I lost my rag and ended up writing things I should have looked into first.”

He got caught being racist, he''s hardly going to be a happy bunny, it''s his own doing though, no-one elses, no one forced him to act the way he did, he''s just drowning in self pity.

You can''t talk about people like that without repercussions.

So I stick by my original comment,

Your remembered for your actions, not for what you wish you hadn''t done

Strikes me that mark bright has been very hypocritical, saying ALL norwich fans should stop following him, how very prejudice and harsh on all the other norwich fans. qualities that someone racist and ignorant might show. We''re not all the same brighty...

I don''t tweet myself but I gather you can tweet publicly or privately. Am I right to assume this was a public tweet - and also obviously from a Norwich supporter - as opposed to a private tweet that got passed on to the club and the public from a supposed friend?

Anybody who believes that there is or ever was freedom of speech is a naive moron. 

We are but mere little robots in a Capitalist society, prisoners in a world where people do believe that they have a choice are in fact convinced they have freedom of speech, of thought, of actions; but in reality there is very little if any freedom.......... 

Seems absolutely stupid to me, how on earth the club can ban him for comments he made on TWITTER is beyond me. He has a right to say what ever he likes and if someone is offended by this then complain to twitter and he can get his account banned.What a joke of a decision.

[quote user="king canary"][quote user="hogesar"]But then, if this is how things are going to work from now on - can i say i''m against mass immigration in the ''its just not football thread''? Afterall, some of them could end up footballers![/quote]Yes because that is the same thing...They may ban you for being a moron however.[/quote]

A man who speaks with experience?

Come on, i dont seriously believe it. I gave that example simply to over emphasise how dangerous it can potentially be to set precedents likee this in the online realm. Of course, i didnt expect you to realise that...

I think it''s wrong what he did no time for racism and agree what the club did. But how did mark bright see the original tweet In the first place? Surely he would of had to been following Luke or the person he tweeted too?

@Olski_yellows

anyone can view a public tweet, there is even a search function, so if you type in "norwich city" you can see all tweets with the words "norwich city"

[quote user="Joanna Grey"]

It seems to me that if someone can be virtually lynched for using a rude name on the internet then maybe twitter and the like should only be available to those mature enough to use it properly. Of course if that was the case then the rather juvenile and pretentious Mr Bright would not have been able to post his comments either.

[/quote]

I''m not sure the racist term n***** is quite just a ''rude name'' as you put it. I''m not sure you should be using the term ''virtually lynched'' in the same sentence either when thousands of people were themselves literally ''lynched'' because they were black.

As for Mark Bright - he''s tarnished all of us with the same brush and unfortunately shown himself to be an ignorant and judgemental idiot. He''s no better than the guy who started it.

I''m in a bit of a dilemma?

Just read my mates sexist remark on Facebook to his wife - surely he should be banned from Carrow Road too?

Do I do the right thing and report him? or do I keep this whole shameless incident secrete from the club?

There''s definitely freedom of speech, but there are consequences to exercising that right. His tweet was racist (not not-PC), and quite frankly got what he deserved.

OK this might of happened but has no one who has access to twatter not asked Mark Bright "why it''s not not OK to discriminate against people of a certain skin colour but it''s OK to discriminate people from a certain area of the country".

I firmly believe it''s wrong to discriminate on both accounts however I guess he thinks discrimination is OK in one form but not the other.

If you exclude, or abuse, someone because of their creed, colour, background or lifestyle it is a form of discrimination.

Davo

absolutely right decision by the club - it sends a clear message that we as a club wont tolerate racism. But really can''t understand Mr.Bright''s attitude today - hope the club and ''celebrity'' fans make him aware that we are unhappy.

[quote user="Jin - York Canary"]

I''m not sure you should be using the term ''virtually lynched'' in the same sentence either when thousands of people were themselves literally ''lynched'' because they were black.

[/quote]

Has it come to this? Where you have to stop and think, then think again before you open your mouth in case you mistakenly say "black", "brown", "coloured" or whatever the un-PC term is currently. When you can''t disagree with cultural or religious actions even when they are just wrong because of community cohesion?

If it really has come to this then perhaps we should all be segregated behind 20ft walls, organised by race, colour, religion, dialect, sex and even shoe size just in case we hurt someone''s feelings?

I can''t believe some of you are defending the guy - there is a huge difference in making a racist remak aimed at somebody publicly be it on twitter or on the street, and accidently offending somebody by being ''un pc'' (whatever that means) or having a debate on the rights and wrongs of immigration. The ''you can''t say anything nowadays'' defence doesn''t wash in this case.

Was it because it included James Vaughan? If he had called Bright it, would he have been banned? Because there is no connection to NCFC if so

[quote user="The Saturday Boy"]I can''t believe some of you are defending the guy - there is a huge difference in making a racist remak aimed at somebody publicly be it on twitter or on the street, and accidently offending somebody by being ''un pc'' (whatever that means) or having a debate on the rights and wrongs of immigration. The ''you can''t say anything nowadays'' defence doesn''t wash in this case.
[/quote]

I can see no posts in this thread saying that.

[quote user="norfolkbroadslim"]

Anybody who believes that there is or ever was freedom of speech is a naive moron. 

We are but mere little robots in a Capitalist society, prisoners in a

world where people do believe that they have a choice are in fact

convinced they have freedom of speech, of thought, of actions; but in

reality there is very little if any freedom.......... 

[/quote]Laughable post. Obvious troll is obvious.[quote user="Lewie - Holt Our Saviour"]Seems absolutely stupid to me, how on earth the club can ban him for comments he made on TWITTER is beyond me. He has a right to say what ever he likes and if someone is offended by this then complain to twitter and he can get his account banned.What a joke of a decision.[/quote]Hardly stupid at all. He made a publicly viewable racist statement about an employee of NCFC. I would say they are right to ban them on this basis - especially as it is essentially what the "Kick Racism out of Football" campaign is about. They didn''t ban him because his tweet was offensive, it was because it was racist; I could tell McNally to f*** off on twitter, I don''t think they''d ban me from the ground for it even if McNally or anyone else found it offensive. Unintentional racism is a joke, it''s just people not realising they''re being racist.As you said, he''s free to say whatever he likes (he wasn''t banned from twitter, nor going to jail) but he has to face the consequences of making such a public and racist statement about a football player of the club.

[quote user="The Saturday Boy"]I can''t believe some of you are defending the guy - there is a huge difference in making a racist remak aimed at somebody publicly be it on twitter or on the street, and accidently offending somebody by being ''un pc'' (whatever that means) or having a debate on the rights and wrongs of immigration. The ''you can''t say anything nowadays'' defence doesn''t wash in this case.[/quote]I am not defending him personally, he is clearly pond life, but I do defend his right to state his opinion, however odious it happens to be. There are plenty of city fans who utter the odd racist/sexist/homophobic remark, in fact many of them post on this message board, just check out the ''Its not just football'' section. Are we going to ban them all too? A lifetime ban? The bloke is 22, he is still young, he has only been an adult 4 years and at that age people make mistakes. Not making excuses for him, just think that a little perspective is needed here.

[quote user="Joanna Grey"][quote user="Jin - York Canary"]

I''m not sure you should be using the term ''virtually lynched'' in the same sentence either when thousands of people were themselves literally ''lynched'' because they were black.

[/quote]

Has it come to this? Where you have to stop and think, then think again before you open your mouth in case you mistakenly say "black", "brown", "coloured" or whatever the un-PC term is currently. When you can''t disagree with cultural or religious actions even when they are just wrong because of community cohesion?

If it really has come to this then perhaps we should all be segregated behind 20ft walls, organised by race, colour, religion, dialect, sex and even shoe size just in case we hurt someone''s feelings?

[/quote]

I like that you only picked one bit of my post and not the real main point. Did I say anything about the actual term ''black''? No.

I''ll re-quote your initial post again..

"It seems to me that if someone can be virtually lynched for using a rude name on the internet then maybe twitter and the like should only be available to those mature enough to use it properly"

Do you seriously think the word ''n*****'' is just a ''rude name''? That it''s just some currently unpopular and un-PC term??

I think you''re mistaking real racist terms with harmless descriptions/names like black, coloured etc..

I know the difference and I don''t agree with all this political correctness gone mad stuff that is stopping human beings from being able to hold a normal conversation without fear of disapproval or worse..but I also disagree with the real racist s*** that people spew because it''s ''cool'' or because it makes themselves feel bigger.

I still think Bright and the guy who started this are both idiots. I hope NCFC eventually let this guy back to games because being banned for life would be unbearable.

[quote user="Jin - York Canary"]

I like that you only picked one bit of my post and not the real main point....

...I know the difference and I don''t agree with all this political correctness gone mad stuff that is stopping human beings from being able to hold a normal conversation without fear of disapproval or worse..[/quote]

I picked out that part of your post because that is what I had an issue with.

Despite what you have said above you decided to pull me up for using the word "lynched" in a conversation about race.

You adopted a superior attitude with your "advice" about using that word, which I found quite insulting.

Tell me, Mr P.C. if an African tells you that you look "Flaming tired" will you advise him that it''s not a good phrase to use? Or if you''re flipping out at work and your Afghanistan colleague tells you not to "lose your head" will you report him to the Race Police?

Regardless of the medium, such terms are racist and should be punished as such.  When he used the word he opened himself up to such punishment, and the club has acted swiftly, and fairly.

If he''s using such remarks publicly, then its fair to assume that he would be open to do the same inside the football ground, at a game, towards a player, which would damage the club even more.

And I''m sorry, but even at the age of 22 he should be able to understand this, and is old enough to take his punishment like a man.  If he never gets to another Norwich game in his life, its his own fault.

Disturbingly, I seem to own the same jumper as him...

[quote user="ODonoughoe"]@David_Tree He''s a f___ing useless chav. Did f___ all at Palace last

season and he''s another f__ing ni__er on the team we don''t need.[/quote]Anyone care to defend that?  "F___ing ni__er"?

I''m both shocked and saddened that he''s being defended for this.  The proof is there - in screenshot form, since he deleted the original comments - where he calls James Vaughan a ''f***ing n***er'' and later, when someone else puts it to him that he is racist ''yeah, I am, so what?''Free speech doesn''t equate to ''the right to say whatever you want without reproach'', and I''m very proud of the Club and the fans that have bought about what is, all considered, absolutely the right thing to do.