Sign in to follow this  
When Saturday Comes

Mark Bright - Twitter

I really don''t know why some people on here are defending this idiot and having a go at the Club.  He has admitted it but tried to pass it off as if he was having a bad day - well pardon me for our club signing another good player and you not liking it cos of the colour of a players skin.  Deserves everything coming to him.  And given the palaver over Everton a few seasons ago (Rooney fat not black) the club is right to be positive and set an example and stamp this out now before all Norwich fans are tarred with the same brush.  One of the reasons I was happy to move from Norfolk in the 80''s was exactly the kind of bigoted small minded opinion this idiot showed (and the fact that most people continue doffing their caps at the landed gentry and continue to vote in the Tories).  Seems to justify my not coming back, what does it take to eradicate such poisonous views, and as for those trying to defend this guy, well......  I know more people in Norfolk have a more balanced outlook on life, just unfortuntately compared to other areas of the country more who don''t.Whatever I''ll still support the club, my club and pray that the remaining people who share this idiot''s views in Norfolk grow up soon.  Good on NCFC and McNally and whoever else pulled the trigger.  Time for quite a few people in Norfolk to grow up and join the modern world and this is an example that should be celebrated as much as our return to the Premier league.I could quote Bore Bore Bor''s sign off here but seems some people wil never share that view.

Shefcanary - Best you stay away if you have that opinion of norfolk people then. You can shove the modern world firmly up your arse if we are using you as an example.

Also: Bigoted & Small minded you say?... hmmm.... Judging by your post i would say that pretty much sums you up!

3 words: Pot, Kettle, Black.

Read my note again skijumptoes - not all Norfolk people by any means, indeed only a small minority nowadays thankfully - but as proven by earlier posts in this thread there are still too many hiding behind freedom of speech etc as a reason to peddle right wing views.  Nothing stays the same.

[quote user="shefcanary"] One of the reasons I was happy to move from Norfolk in the 80''s was exactly the kind of bigoted small minded opinion this idiot showed....[/quote]

Bigoted, small-minded opinions are to be found in every corner of this land (and indeed the whole world) and it''s not just confined to any particular race either. You have left but not opened your eyes.

Norfolk by it''s very nature is going to have a high percentage of ''bigoted'' views because we are not as mixed and/or as exposed, as say, central london. And for me, i would rather stay like this... I don''t want the modern world that you crave! Truly, i would be quite happy if the power grid went down for a month or two so people gain a better grip of what life is really all about and learn how to communicate again.

I think its sheer madness that a shop 2 miles down my road will sell meat and veg imported from thousands of miles away, whilst local farmers are having to sell off land to developers as they cant afford to maintain them. Modern world?!? Even the Romans had this sorted!

Thats why i say: stay where you are where it suits you, because most of us don''t want to change, let alone WILL change around here! Just because you have a different opinion does not make either one of us right or wrong, just be thankful we have the choice to live in a place that suits us. This wouldn''t happen in the ''modern world'' where we live like robots on our direct debit tesco grocery feed.

Anyway, back onto the racism thang:

I have a distrust of foreigners upon seeing them, but i put this down to my subconscious manfesting itself through anxiety, which i then read as a threat. It''s not something i actively seek to think, it just happens. In fact, when it happens i feel bad about it and i actively tell myself that there''s no reason to think like this, and they are probably thinking the same about myself.

Usually i will say hi when i get near to try and break the barriers. It''s not very common to get a reply back, but hey-ho!

Only familiarity and continued exposure will overcome that. Which is why i try to communicate, people interest me!

I speak regularly to a few polish people at work, and i really like them, very friendly and superb workers. To start with everyone was talking behind their backs and i was the only person trying to talk to them as i was fascinated as to their backgrounds and way of life.

Yet everytime i spoke to them they always tell me how they hate it around here and how wonderful their home is and they are only here for the money. But month by month the cost of living is going up back home and forcing them to stay longer.

It made me feel so empty that they are in that position, i feel for them, and it saddens me that we have so many people that have no devotion to the country and they pretty much come over as slaves.

These are young people that are practically wasting their lives in the hope that they can go back home with a small fortune. They do everything as cheap as possible, as many people in one house etc.

Some may say it''s through greed that they do this, but i think it''s all about wanting to protect your own, like your family etc.

And i think that''s what alot of people''s thoughts are in norfolk, protect our way of life, and our families. We''re no different to the people who come over here. But i don''t know the solution so that everyone can be happy!! :(

You know what, The whole topics too major to discuss the more i think about it. The bottom line for me, is what that guy said about Vaughan on twitter is indefensible.

It''s a nasty thing for Vaughan to read, and it''s nasty for it to be associated for the club.

When i read it, i didn''t personally feel anything other than a cringey ''Oh you shouldnt have said that'' feeling, i didn''t personally feel any malice.. I don''t know what it''s like to have that said about you so i don''t know what it''s like for Vaughan or Brighty to read it. Someone calling me ''another white boy'' hasn''t the same resonance.

I read it as being a joking, tongue-in-cheek remark that a lad would say in the pub to get a laugh.. Unfortunately he posted it on a global network and has been pulled up for it, and as you''ve brought up, in the modern world you cannot say stuff like that.

In a pub in norfolk you would probably have a group of lads laughing, none of them meaning any malice, despite the content being extremely offensive to others. And i truly don''t know what to say about that, surely the same is true in sheffield, london, birmingham, scotland, spain and all over though?!

It''s taken me about 45 minutes to write this, and i still can''t get my point across!!! ARRHGHGGHH!!!! - gonna post it anyway as its a waste of time if not!

Shefcanary - I applaud your anti-racist stance and the passion that you show for the matter. I also note that you are aware that most people in Norfolk support this viewpoint. However, your stance that Norfolk has a greater density of racist bigots than other areas is misplaced and ill considered.

Having lived in several cities, including Sheffield, I have found Norfolk/ Norwich to be more tolerant than everywhere I have lived except London (and even here there were vast differences dependant upon where you went). Sure there are bigots here too, and often they want their voice heard, but to taint a disproportionate element of the population with this is unfair.

Frankly, you only have to look at electoral results and the way that the BNP has never gained much ground in Norfolk.

I''m not defending racism not one bit, but its a slippery slope to start banning people for comments made on the internet. In truth I don''t think it has anything to do with the club.And once again I must say that I am not defending racism because I know some sadcase will try and say I am.

Quick question, sergio:  Would you be happy for a bloke who stood in the city centre shouting racist abuse about players in our team to toddle down to the ground and take his seat at 3pm?By your rationale, this has ''nothing to do with the club'' either.

[quote user="Skijumptoes"]

It''s taken me about 45 minutes to write this, and i still can''t get my point across!!! ARRHGHGGHH!!!! - gonna post it anyway as its a waste of time if not![/quote]I know how difficult it is to express one''s self in written form, as passion can oft get misconstrued for something more sinister… but in respect to your post I thought you did a manful job.I certainly got what you were trying to say… which, considering the potential minefield you were running across, was no mean feat.Keep on with your one man/woman (delete as appropriate) integration programme!

[quote user="Citizen Journalist Foghorn"]RE: Racist Fan Great news, ban all the racist scum. RE: Mark Bright believing Norwich will get relegated The guy is a pundit and is entitled to his opinion. If you are gonna be offended by anyone who thinks Norwich will get relegated next season. Expect to get offended by one hell of a lot of people![/quote]

Spot on

[quote user=" Badger"]Shefcanary - I applaud your anti-racist stance and the passion that you show for the matter. I also note that you are aware that most people in Norfolk support this viewpoint. However, your stance that Norfolk has a greater density of racist bigots than other areas is misplaced and ill considered.

Having lived in several cities, including Sheffield, I have found Norfolk/ Norwich to be more tolerant than everywhere I have lived except London (and even here there were vast differences dependant upon where you went). Sure there are bigots here too, and often they want their voice heard, but to taint a disproportionate element of the population with this is unfair.

Frankly, you only have to look at electoral results and the way that the BNP has never gained much ground in Norfolk.[/quote]Ta Badger, as skijumptoes said later it is very difficult, when gander is high, to express yourself properly on-line.  I accept there are bigots everywhere (plenty in South Yorkshire although thankfully the BNP are in retreat and total disarray), that generally Norfolk people have changed their views considerably since I left (30 years ago natch!), just felt that some comments on this thread in particular still hid behind the freedom of speech bollocks that was reminiscent of my experience in the 80''s.  There is also a real risk that if the comments were allowed to go "unpunished" that the outsider view of Norfolk people being backward bumpkins (equally as bigoted - take notso-Brighty''s response for one - I know but I suffer that sort of comic generalisation every weekend in Sheff but am able to give as good back) would be a real hurdle as we took on the Premier League boys next season.  Aren''t there many on here sick of "lil ole Norwich" syndrome who also seemed to apologise for the behaviour of the guy - you cannot have it both ways?  McNasty and co. are savvy, media aware people, who certainly do not need this kind of furore just when they are trying to do deals to bring high calibre players to Norwich.  Their actions as I said before need to be supported as it does improve our chances of attracting quality players to the City - they know now the club will do what it takes to protect them.  I really am looking out for both Norfolk and my team.OTBC

A ban was quite in order and I fully support it, however, where I differ is..... a life ban.

Mark Bright kicked it off by giving insults, and a 22year old lad reacted, quite wrongly and in a temper, hurled racist abuse at him.

HIS ACTIONS CANNOT BE DEFENDED

But, he''s no Nick Griffifs either imo.

With City gaining promotion, a 5 year ban would have still sent out a clear message to others, been painful to him and given the boy time to reflect on his errors of judgement.

Life, just seems a tad spiteful to me.

[quote user="First Wizard"]

Mark Bright kicked it off by giving insults, and a 22year old lad reacted, quite wrongly and in a temper, hurled racist abuse at him.

[/quote]

I thought the racist abuse was in reponse to the signing of James Vaughan. I think Bright got involved two or three days later. He certainly didn''t "kick it off".

Wiz, perhaps you need to research the facts...

The racist numpty directed the remarks at Vaughn shortly after it was announced he''d signed.

Mark Bright didn''t get involved until the Sunday/Monday and proceeded to tar all Norwich fans with the same brush, which understandably upset a lot of people.

[quote user="Evil Monkey"]

Wiz, perhaps you need to research the facts...

The racist numpty directed the remarks at Vaughn shortly after it was announced he''d signed.

Mark Bright didn''t get involved until the Sunday/Monday and proceeded to tar all Norwich fans with the same brush, which understandably upset a lot of people.

[/quote]

Then I apologise to everyone concerned EM.

However, I stand by the rest of my post ie. a ban was correct, but a life ban was harsh etc

Fair enough, Wiz, but why do you feel the life ban is harsh?

Simply no room for racism at Carrow Road or anywhere else in the world, as far as I''m concerned.

We simply don''t need ''fans'' like him sullying our otherwise good name.

Good riddance, I say.

I tend to agree that a life ban is too harsh. Somewhere between five and ten years would be appropriate. I remember the some of the songs sung in the Barclay 20-25 years ago, I sure others on here can recall a couple about John Barnes. Should everyone who sung those songs back then be banned now?

[quote user="Evil Monkey"]

Fair enough, Wiz, but why do you feel the life ban is harsh?

Simply no room for racism at Carrow Road or anywhere else in the world, as far as I''m concerned.

We simply don''t need ''fans'' like him sullying our otherwise good name.

Good riddance, I say.

[/quote]

Everyone, including Stwephen Fry, gets a second chance to reform EM, this lad is 22 ffs, he knows he was wrong, don''t deny him the hope of returning to the fold one day, please.

No wonder this country has gone to the dogs.It''s just a word ffs... and one the black lads use themselves in everyday converstaion.How about worrying about rather more important things in life eh?