Sign in to follow this  
Heresyourfathersgun

Ian Culverhouse

As there seems to be a slight lull between parties, shall we consider the influence this man has had on our fortunes? Lambert is clearly an inspirational leader, and a motivator of men.

But on a day to day basis it is Cully who prepares the team and runs the training sessions.

He was a stalwart in another glory era for this club, and has been instrumental in our rise to the top.

In all the HooHaa, are we in danger of overlooking just how valuable he is to us?

Discuss

It is the manager and team that gets all the limelight, but like you say and as Lambert always reiterates - his backroom staff, including Culverhouse are key to are success aswell. They make a great team!

You''ll notice how much credit Lambert gave to both Ian Culverhouse and Gary Karsa in his interview after the Portsmouth match.

Hopefully they''ll get a huge round of applause on their celebratory walk round the pitch on Saturday.

I have to admit I couldn''t pick Gary Karsa out in an identification parade.

He has been superb for this club, one of the best right backs I have seen and he is well thought of now by all. We really need a song for him.

Not to go too O/T (Sorry OP), but can I give a little shout out to Crook too, I feel he was a big part of our turn-around as well.

I just wonder how much Cully draws on the experience of the team of 92 that nearly ran away with the premiership, and punched above its weight in Europe?

A team of relatively unknown players who bonded and collectively achieved great things. Striking similarity.

[quote user="Downloads"]Not to go too O/T (Sorry OP), but can I give a little shout out to Crook too, I feel he was a big part of our turn-around as well.[/quote]

You may well be right - perhaps the Dave Stringer/Mike Walker legacy has followed that thread down to now.

Stringers building blocks were the foundation for Walker - Chippy and Cully both cross the divide between those great eras.

We all know about the rich pedigree of past glories and experiences that both Lambert (well documented through the level of success) and Culverhouse (we witnessed a lot of it with our own eyes) but I for one know very little about Mr Karsa. Does anyone here have any nuggets about this member of the miracle making team??

Had the back room boys down as my unsung heroes in another thread. Not being negative, but the day Lambert packs his bags and goes to one of the ''really'' big boys (think it''ll be Liverpool) Culverhouse will have a big decision to make!!!!

[quote user="Heresyourfathersgun"]Apart from Tranmere last season when Karsa gave Eddie Ilderton a lesson in the vernacular, I have no idea of his pedigree.[/quote][quote user="Canaries World"]Gary Karsa joined the Canaries as head of football operations on August 20, 2009.Karsa follows his management colleagues Paul Lambert and Ian Culverhouse with whom he has worked previously at both Colchester United and Wycombe Wanderers.He held the position of football operations manager at The U''s since he joined them from Adams Park in October 2008, where he''d been head of youth since September 2006.Karsa began his coaching career at Enfield in 1998 as football and community officer, before moving to Barnet where he first worked with Ian Culverhouse. After a spell as Charlton''s Head of Academy he linked up with Culverhouse again at Leyton Orient as head of youth.[/quote]

I know that he is a legendary RB who won POTS and was also named in the greatest Norwich line up of all time. However, his career with us as a player started before I was born, and I believe ended just before my Dad introduced me to football as I can''t remember him ever playing for us since I started supporting Norwich (When we finished 3rd in 1993, I was just 3 years old and knew nothing about sport). I believe that it''s great to have a former legend in the management squad, as he could possibly help strengthen our defenders. I was delighted when Ian Crook was here as well - he could help our players out on set pieces.

Culverhouse is a proper City legend through and through and I''m pleased that the successes of the last 18 months or so can no doubt be partly attributed to him - Nice one to the OP for starting this thread. Slightly off topic but, I really can''t believe it was 20 odd years ago that the likes of Ruben Sosa, Dennis Bergkamp etc were coming to Carrow Rd and facing Culverhouse etc. How time flies!. I know the Premier League is packed with big names now, but I remember back then the thought of a world class superstar like Bergkamp gracing the Carrow Rd pitch and facing Daryl Sutch and Adi Akinbiyi etc was unbelievable. So it''s easy to forget we''ve got TWO guys there, not just Lambert, that both know a thing or two about European football and upsetting the odds with great team spirit and playing for one another, and can pass that knowledge and experience onto the current crop of players - You kind of get the impression that 2 decades later that ''unfancied team'' from Norfolk could ironically sneak back into Europe again before long, causing yet another upset. And then Lambert goes to Everton and it all goes tits up... ;)

[quote user="O.T.B.C"]He has been superb for this club, one of the best right backs I have seen and he is well thought of now by all. We really need a song for him.[/quote]

I was still playing when Culverhouse was at his prime at Right Back, and I tried to be exactly like him .  Absolutely one of the best RB''s I have seen in a City shirt and part of a great defence. I remember him sticking Kamara into an advertising board one night (I think it was against Swindon?) at FCR . Sadly for me I never managed to be anywhere near as good as IC but I enjoyed trying. Legend for NCFC.