Sign in to follow this  
Gingerpele

Whats the difference between failure and success?

For individual players...

Just imagine Grant Holt scores 15 Premiere League goals next season. That would be more than Mr. 62 England caps, Heskey has ever done in a season (he did 14 once).

Why has Heskey been playing premiership and international football for so long, yet Holty has never managed it? I''m not suggesting Holt is necessarily better, but what we have seen him do (albeit at a lower level) is much more than Heskey appears to do.

Fox, his passing and vision is amazing, his ball into Jackson was quality, and it wasn''t a one off (i think he put the ball into Holt when he couldn''t get a good enough touch to take it over the line?) He hits balls short and long at incredible pace and accuracy, and quite often he does it so quickly (in, he gets the ball and passes immediately, Crofts for example, if he does anything other than a 1-2 or simple ball, he needs to take a bit more time).

R.Martin this season, great defending (players like Bellamy and Sinclair not really getting anything from him) and just as good, if not better attacking.

Huckerby in the past.

etc etc. Not just Norwich players.

There are so many that seem to have huge amounts of talent, but never make it. Is it luck? Is it desire? Is it the gulf in quality is so huge? (although Blackpool suggest otherwise to an extent, as have many other examples, of players, like Huckerby for us)

What do you lot think?

A lot of football is getting opportunities. I''m sure there''s a handful of players in say League Two that could cut it in the Premier League, but there''ll never get the opportunity. I can see someone like David Fox cutting it the Premier League, yet if Lambert hadn''t signed him he''d probably still be playing in League One next season.

[quote user="Gingerpele"]Whats the difference between failure and success?[/quote][IMG]http://i530.photobucket.com/albums/dd347/barclayendchoir/LiG.gif[/IMG]

[quote user="Harry"][quote user="Gingerpele"]Whats the difference between failure and success?[/quote][IMG]http://i530.photobucket.com/albums/dd347/barclayendchoir/LiG.gif[/IMG][/quote]What he said.

I think it''s just down to working hard and taking your chance if it comes your way.Huddersfield i believe put in a offer for john terry when he was young for a fee around £200,000 which chelsea accepted but terry said no.Would he of been the england captain if he had said yes to the move doubt it.

[quote user="Gingerpele"]For individual players...

Just imagine Grant Holt scores 15 Premiere League goals next season. That would be more than Mr. 62 England caps, Heskey has ever done in a season (he did 14 once).

Why has Heskey been playing premiership and international football for so long, yet Holty has never managed it? I''m not suggesting Holt is necessarily better, but what we have seen him do (albeit at a lower level) is much more than Heskey appears to do.

Fox, his passing and vision is amazing, his ball into Jackson was quality, and it wasn''t a one off (i think he put the ball into Holt when he couldn''t get a good enough touch to take it over the line?) He hits balls short and long at incredible pace and accuracy, and quite often he does it so quickly (in, he gets the ball and passes immediately, Crofts for example, if he does anything other than a 1-2 or simple ball, he needs to take a bit more time).

R.Martin this season, great defending (players like Bellamy and Sinclair not really getting anything from him) and just as good, if not better attacking.

Huckerby in the past.

etc etc. Not just Norwich players.

There are so many that seem to have huge amounts of talent, but never make it. Is it luck? Is it desire? Is it the gulf in quality is so huge? (although Blackpool suggest otherwise to an extent, as have many other examples, of players, like Huckerby for us)

What do you lot think?[/quote]Heskey picked up all those caps because players like Owen and Rooney enjoyed playing alongside him and usually played better when Heskey was there. There are some strikers who game isn''t about goals, but in facilitating goals for other players. There is also the fact that international managers like to keep the say players in and around the team, it builds up team spirit and these player''s know each others game. If a player doesn''t "make it" when they are in their earlier 20s it is very hard to do it later on in their career.Fox has shown he has quality so far this season, it isn''t a surprise that he and Crofts were both products of teams in the top 4 academies. Fox has come on leaps on bounds this season - watch the game against Watford, his positioning was poor, many misplaced passes and weak in the tackle - all things he has improved on as the season has gone by.There are of course players plying their trade in the lower leagues who could play higher, but football is generally a cautious thing, managers want players with experience and pedigree - without this is can be hard to climb the ladder. Also many players also scupper their own careers making poor decisions when choosing a club and have their talent wasted. As for Hucks, he was too good for the Championship but lacked a little something when it came to the Premier League.

I think decision making is probably as important as anything else. Managers need players they can trust to make the right decision on a regular basis so they can carry out their tactical plans. That mental side of the game is as draining as the physical side and I think some players probably struggle with the concentration levels required to play at the very highest level.

Ginge mentions Heskey and he is an excellent example of a player who will selflessly carry out a coaches instructions for the benefit of the team. He gets ridiculed for a lot of fans for his poor goalscoring record but he must have something that appeals to coaches for him to be picked so regularly at the highest level.

Apart from players with skill and commitment, an astute management team and a good club and fan spirit, there is also the element of lady luck.

We say that luck evens out over the season, but just imagine if it had been Holt who was out all the weeks that Surman was missing, or Hooly. Holt was not so good at scoring in the early weeks of the season, nor over the last Jackson days, because he was carrying an injury, but he was his usual inspiring self.

Considering that the captain puts himself about and shirks nothing, and also that opposing defenders are out to mark him in motre sense than one, it is remarkable that he has played so many games. (Our record with Holt or Hooly missing is not good.)

We can see how some relatively minor injuries can keep players out for weeks or months in the cases of Barnett and Martin C, not to mention Surman.

I am not sure about other members of the team, but I think that Russell Martin has played in every game and Crofts in all but two.

So I have to conclude that on the injury front we have generally been lucky.

One final factor, which reflects well on PL and the squad, is the way the team play for each other and rejoice at the success of others. The team which won at Portmouth included only three players from the 2009-110 season - Holt, Hooly and Russell Martin. The other eight starters have arrived since May 2010 and have all been fitted seamlessly into a united squad.- Tremendous!