Sign in to follow this  
Tom the canary

Ground additions

After visiting the new stand today, I was told that the infill between the new stand and the N & P stand is likely to go ahead in the close season at a cost of £2.1m housing 1800 fans.

Thereafter the next item on the agenda is to put another tier on the CIty Stand (not the new stand) to get the heights of the stands more or less even.

By the way the hotel (between the new stand and the barclay) looks as though it is definitely going ahead but no contract agreed yet.

What a ground we would have then hey! when would the other tier be put on top of the city stand. If we got and stayed in the prem probs? would they have to take the roof of the stand or just build on top of it?

Buy carrow road itself and then build from behind up and over. This is why a space has been left for the pitch to be moved towards the new stand i.e. the roof lines need to be level (N & P, city stand and barclay) and currently this would not be possible with the pitch where it is.

Is this (buying Carrow Road) idea yours, or the clubs, Tom?
I thought the City stand would have to be rebuilt from scratch to add a new tier. It would be great if that could be avoided - save us from another three-sided season!

That''s quiet intesresting Tom. I assumed that after the infill and once we were established in the Prem we would whack another tier on the south stand, but considering the south stand is already bigger than the main stand, it would make the ground look a bit stupid!

Tom

You have heard exactly what I have. The City Stand can take a second tier. All the offices, reception etc are moving to the New Stand and the pitch moved towards the New Stand to accomodate the new roof line.

As I posted previously, it will be great to have a great looking stadium not spoilt by what always was a peculiar decision to design the City Stand with such a low roof!!

Once again the board realises that this club has underachieved for too long both on and off the pitch.

Well done everybody at Carrow Road.

No this is the official version. They are checking that the footings are strong enough. They are supposed to be. No time scales yet though. Infill during the close season, hotel from January and City Stand depends on finances I guess, which in turn depends on where we are and the capacity required. Interesting times eh? Did anyone else hear anything?

Interesting about ''buying'' Carrow Road. Can we do that? Now its not a through road Im sure the Council would let it go, if they can, as it serves no other purpose than to get to the ground. I wonder if moving the pitch forward is cheaper than going back onto the road (if that makes sense,) considering Doomcaster says we could do with a new one anyway. Would be great to even the stands up.

The infill will go ahead regardless of promotion/failure.

The city stand was designed to take second tier straddling Carrow Road, however this was designed 20 years ago so what with us all getting increasingly obese they need to make sure it can take it. You would hope though the council would "donate" the famous road to the club.

This has got to be a few years off yet though.

"The infill will go ahead regardless of promotion/failure."
So if we don''t go up, where do you suppose the money would come from?

"The city stand was designed to take second tier straddling Carrow Road"
The City stand was built in 1986, long before the riverside development was a twinkle in anyones eye. Are you saying that the designers seriously contemplated closing Carrow Rd for however many months it would take to build the second tier over it?

Name your source please!

Well, i guess that the finances for the infill might have already been accounted for. They probably have enough capital in the bank to complete the infill, just taking one step at a time.

would it be just one infill. we could do all of them so the whole ground linked up.that would get us to atleast 30''000 without having to go to the trouble of putting another tier on one of the side stands.

Dear FOTH

Since when have people ever named their source on here?
(other than my mate''s girlfriend who works for the club blah blah blah)

A £6 Million land deal must help the infill? and yes that end has strangely been left open?

I take your point on amazing foresight by the club, but I guess we can wait and see.
I''ll be the first to post I told you so in 3 years time. Oh yes siree.

I''ve changed the title back but it wasn''t me.

I think I will hang up my boots for risk of further confrontation.

Keeping on the original story - if we have a waiting list of 1000 people for season tickets (which I believe we have) then I would say the infill is a no brainer. Bring on the City stand mark 2.

As a negative post, the front row of the new stand is terrible viewing - what the hell is going on there? When you take into consideration the advertising boardings spectators are really going to struggle to see much of the action.

Indentally rumour has it that we are about to sign someone anyone got any idea who it might be?

I recall that the original plans stated that the new stand would be built with a potential for 12,000 seats, if a smaller upper tier were added. Presumably this would be cheaper than whacking another level above the City Stand because of the issues with Carrow Road itself.

The capacity was given at a possible 28,000 with the infill and upper tier. With an upper tier on the city Stand too I would imagine that would give another 4000 giving a total of 32000

That''s the same capacity as Southampton St Marys and just below Middlesboro who in the past I considered to be clubs of around the same size. Its also not too big so that if you closed of a tier you would lose too much atmosphere for a smaller game.

It will be interesting to see how it develops and how the attendance settles down.

One of the stewarts (who was a Spurs fan!!!!) told me yesterday that there would be a hotel in both corners - yeah right! But he did confirm that he had heard about the city stand extension and said we already owned Carrow Road so this was going ahead. Not true yet I think. To put another tier on the new stand would be really difficult without costing a shed load of money. What did people think about the lack of exits for half time refreshments - any solution? I can''t see one as there is no way out of the back of the stand.

Interesting discussion Tom. Here''s my two cents worth.

The foundations have been put in, in part at least, for a new corner infill stand. As you know, the club says they will go ahead and build the new permanant infill stand once they have the cash (so maybe this summer if we get promotion?). If not, then some kind of temporary one.

When the City Stand was built in the mid 80''s the City Council, who gave it planning permission, were told it was designed to take a second tier - to be built at a later date. I''d like to think we won''t have to wait another 18 years for it though. Is there the demand for another 4,000 or so seats though?

Incidentally, when the River End was built in ''79 there was disagreement over the decision to locate it so close to Carrow Rd. It effectively hemmed in any future development on that side. Long-sighted fans thought building the River End a few yards further from the roadside would save a few headaches when rebuilding on the Carrow Rd side in years to come.

i personally belief that if we get both infil''s done then that would be enough for atleast the next few seasons. that would add about another 3''500-4''000 to the capacity which would give us around the 30''000 mark. that is a good average, premiership attendance. no need for the extra tier on the city stand yet though. maybe after we r an astablished premiership side. 3-4 seasons maybe?

But James the corner between the Barclay and the new stand is designated for a hotel so there will only be one infill leaving us at about 26000 which is probably not enough. Hence the dilemma about the City stand.

Any further loan player rumours anyone?