Sign in to follow this  
Haggerdoo

Lots of talk about new players but.........

Who''s going to make way for the new signings?

Our strongest 11 is probably

Ruddy

R Martin

Tierny

Barnett

Whitbread

Fox

Crofts

Hoolahan

Surman

Holt

Jackson

So who''s most likely for the chop out of that team - Fox maybe? - not sure of anyone else at this stage.

Will be a tough decision to leave anyone out but Lambert will get it right. Personally I think the whole spine will the strengthened so we may see one new starter at GK, CB, CM and CF. Also think we may see a pacy winger.

[quote user="Haggerdoo"]Who''s going to make way for the new signings?

Our strongest 11 is probably

Ruddy

R Martin

Tierny

Barnett

Whitbread

Fox

Crofts

Hoolahan

Surman

Holt

Jackson

So who''s most likely for the chop out of that team - Fox maybe? - not sure of anyone else at this stage.[/quote]Add a competent player to each position:Ruddy & NewMartin & NewTierney & DruryBarnett & NewWhitbread & WardCrofts & SmithFox & New/ Lansbury hopefullyHoolahan & NewSurman & Lappin/NewHolt & NewJackson & Martin/ Newup to 8 new faces to compete at an estimate, hope the rest are shipped out.

[quote user="Haggerdoo"]Who''s going to make way for the new signings? Our strongest 11 is probably Ruddy R Martin Tierny Barnett Whitbread Fox Crofts Hoolahan Surman Holt Jackson So who''s most likely for the chop out of that team - Fox maybe? - not sure of anyone else at this stage.[/quote]

Theres beed alot of chat about who is likely to go. None of the players you mention will go, and will play pivitol roles next season. Norwich have a small squad, Blackpool have found a small squad does not work as the difference in fitness etc in the premiership is that much higher. So injuries and tiredness all play a part. I''ve read numerous match reports where its stated x games in 7 days....dead on their feet... etc etc. In the premiership every game will be a battle.

You dont just have 11 good players. you have 25...

I think we will have  up to 6 new players. Some to start, some to support current ones.

The ones to absolutely go will be those that have been out of the frame this season, loaned shop window players. Already discussed on numerous threads, you''d expect OTD, Smith, Oli Johnson, Gill, McNamee, cody, askou... all to go

So to replace those 7 you''d get..... (again discussed all over the forum).

I wouldn''t even want to guess who Paul Lambert would choose. I hope we get lansbury and pacheco back. They have been brought up with a permiership mentality.

We''ll probably get 2/3 out of favour solid premiership defenders to cover/replace ward/whitebread/barnett.

We''ll need another striker.

We''ll need more pace/width in midfield.

It''s all very exciting as to what happens and i can''t wait til August!

OTBC!

Due to the quality of his passing Fox would be one of the first people I would keep in the team.

Crofts will probably go, mainly because the way he plays the ball will not be so good in the premier league. He would be a better 70th min sub when we are winning, he doesn''t have good enough distribution to play CDM, and isn''t quite PL standard to play RM. Fantastic tackler though.

Martin, Wessi and Holt are all pretty much guaranteed places, at the start at least.

I think Whitbread and Barnett will be in the CB competition, with some new faces.

Teirney, not sure.

Jackson, will be placed in the competition with Martin and maybe a couple of new places for the second striker roll. Martin might be in with a shout to play CAM as he is a lot more physical than Wessi, and his passing is awesome.

Lambert will probably (need to) sign about the same number of players as last close season, i.e. 6-8.

I don''t think any of the current 11 are too weak for the Premier League (we have outperformed QPR in the second half of the season), but the squad needs a lot of strengthening, so as to rotate the team and give the regulars a break.

After all, this season Holt has been dead on his feet, if not semi-injured, for several weeks, but we have simply been unable to rest him.

My guess is that the following will be eased out: S. Smith, Askou, Gill, TJ, Hughes, Oli, MacDonald (and probably Macca).

We need:

1. An experienced goalkeeper as back-up, with Rudd and Steer to go out on loan, Fraser Forster-style

2. A back-up right back (no-one currently to replace ''Pants'' Martin)

3. At least one midfielder (pref. Lansbury), preferably two

4. A winger

5. At least one striker, preferably two

With good signings in those positions, the squad should stand up to the rigours of Premier League survival.

Anyone who thinks that Fox won''t cut it at all in the Premiership, and that Martin, Tierney and Crofts will struggle, frankly needs to watch some more football and come back when they understand how the game is played.

Apologies if that sounds a snarky, but its also true, so there...

I think next year it will be:

Ruddy

R. Martin

Barnett

New Player

Tieney

Crofts

Surman

New Player

Hoolahan

Holt

Jackson

With a few more new players warming the bench too.

See, that''s interesting because I would have earmarked Fox as one of those to make way for being too lightweight to help the defence out. For me, my 11 next season would be;RuddyMartin   Barnett     Whitbread    TierneyNew SigningCrofts    New SigningWesHolty     New SigningSubs: New GK, Ward, Surman, Jackson, Fox, New Striker, New Winger

[quote user="Jimmy Smith"][quote user="Haggerdoo"]Who''s going to make way for the new signings? Our strongest 11 is probably Ruddy R Martin Tierny Barnett Whitbread Fox Crofts Hoolahan Surman Holt Jackson So who''s most likely for the chop out of that team - Fox maybe? - not sure of anyone else at this stage.[/quote]

Add a competent player to each position:

Ruddy & New
Martin & New
Tierney & Drury
Barnett & New
Whitbread & Ward
Crofts & Smith
Fox & New/ Lansbury hopefully
Hoolahan & New
Surman & Lappin/New
Holt & New
Jackson & Martin/ New
up to 8 new faces to compete at an estimate, hope the rest are shipped out.
[/quote]

Jimmy that is pretty much dead on what I posted on another thread. I think its what we have to work to.

Interesting stuff.  Would agree we need 6-8.a. back up goalieb. right back to compete with russell.  may even beat out martin for first team spotc. a starting center-back.  i dont think whitbread is up for it.  barnett may well be but i would go get another good one.  its important to have two solid CBs if we''re going to have attacking full backs.d. a quality striker to start with holty.  jackson and chrissy martin to be on benche. a tough tackling, hard working midfielder to back up both fox and croftsf. a quality attacking midfielder (maybe lansbury but i would def be open to others) to challenge surman and hoolahang. a traditional out and out winger to replace mcnamee and allow us to switch to 4-4-2 as needed.lets assume we dont pick up much money selling the rest (maybe a million).  then i think we''re looking at spending maybe 10-12 million pounds to do this right......but who knows...could be a lot less given lambert''s nous for spotting talent.

I think Lambert will keep the team that got us to the Prem together, but add to it where necessary. In order of importance, I would say:

1. A pacey, quality striker to back up or play with Holt (someone like Ched Evans, Graham, Bothroyd, Long, Nugent, Kitson...)

2. Attacking midfielder: Lansbury, Pacheco (both on loan?) or another

3. Holding midfielder to support Fox and Crofts

4. Right-back

5. Central defender to replace Askou

6. Either another striker or another GK

Making way will probably be those who haven''t really featured (Askou, OTJ, Hughes) but Lambert might keep McNamee, Gill, Oli and possibly even McDonald as squad cover as they wouldn''t be that expensive in wages. It''s going to be an interesting summer!

We''ll need to be able to adapt to how other teams play, so we need to bring in players that will enable us to change formation more comfortably. I reckon we''ll be brining in around 10 players, with none of the current 1st team leaving. Top on our shopping list should be a left and a right winger. Also reckon Korey will probably be out on loan to someone in the championship next season.

I''d be going all out to sign Scot Sinclair from Swansea. David Nugent and Shane Long on Frees. Add to what we''ve got and thats the attacking part almost sorted.