Sign in to follow this  
TheGoogler

Best team in Championship as per the Actim Index

Looking over the Actim Index this evening I was quite surprised to work out what they consider the best team in the league to be. Here it is (Right > Left);Kenny (QPR)R. Martin (Nor) Gorkss (QPR) Chambers (Forest) Harte (Reading)Gradel (Leeds)  Taarabt (QPR)  Howson (Leeds)  Wes (Nor)Graham (Watford)  Long (Reading)Subs: Ruddy (Nor), Bothroyd (Cardiff), Holt (Nor), Sinclair (Swan), Crofts (Nor), Taylor (Watford), Andy King (Leicester)Subs bench I worked out by taking top GK, two strikers, winger, two CMs and Def not in 1st 11 - which seems to be the universally accepted way too make up a subs bench..So, team by team, let''s break that downQPR - 3 players in startingNorwich - 2 in starting, 3 on benchForest - 1 in startingReading - 2 in starting Leeds - 2 in startingWatford  - 1 in starting, 1 on benchCardiff - 1 on benchSwansea - 1 on benchLeicester - 1 on benchI thought, personally, that was quite interesting. Will be interesting to see how close to the Champ team of the year that is. Also of interest to note is Russell Martin (in his pants) is by far the best defender by 86 points and just shades it as Norwich''s best by 5 points to Grant Holt. Ruddy is a meagre 11 points behind Paddy Kenny as division''s best keeper.All could change tomorrow of course!

"I was quite surprised to work out what they consider the best team in the league to be"

err no, that''s the 11 players with the highest scores based on fairly meaningless gibberish

There is actually another organisation that ranks teams by quite definite (and worldwide recognised) methods. It''s is called the Championship and their method has QPR as the best team in the league.

[quote user="City1st"]"I was quite surprised to work out what they consider the best team in the league to be"

err no, that''s the 11 players with the highest scores based on fairly meaningless gibberish

There is actually another organisation that ranks teams by quite definite (and worldwide recognised) methods. It''s is called the Championship and their method has QPR as the best team in the league.[/quote]Erm no.

Actim index shows players involvement with plays and quality, so not necessarily ''the best players''. So a player of our who doesn''t get the ball all the time is Fox, but without him we wouldn''t have half the goals we go. It is an okay judge, but still doesn''t account for everything. I wouldn''t say Danny Graham is the best player in the Championship, but he is top of the Index.

Interesting that Taylor of Watford is up there....wonder if we may finally sign him- cheap,apparently he loved it here, and good experience in the top leagues?

[quote user="zak123"]Actim index shows players involvement with plays and quality, so not necessarily ''the best players''. So a player of our who doesn''t get the ball all the time is Fox, but without him we wouldn''t have half the goals we go. It is an okay judge, but still doesn''t account for everything. I wouldn''t say Danny Graham is the best player in the Championship, but he is top of the Index.[/quote]

For me that honour should probably go to Taarabt. I know he isnt a team player and his attitude stinks. But you cant argue with the ability and the mountains of goals/assists he has produced this season. But Graham is also a fantastic player. Very good all round game and ultimately the most important part of football is putting the ball in the back of the net. Graham has done that 24 times. Would love to see him here next year, if the price wasnt too excessive.

I have to agree with City1st - the actim index is just numbers for the sake of numbers, which are based on press association reports. May aswell base an index on random throws of a dice as those reports.

Part of the reason Fox isn''t high up on the list is because he hasn''t played the whole season, only started 29 game (and 2 on the bench) so his score is bound to be lower, might be interesting if they did an average score per game rather than total from the whole season.

While no system is going to perfectly rate players, I think the fact that Martin, Holt and Wessi are so close in terms of points, and its been so hard to choose between them for player of the season at least indicates that the index is reasonably accurate.