Sign in to follow this  
jed exodous

When will the first signing be made?

So we know Lambert likes to get his business done sooner rather than later, and moving up to the premier league, it is imperitive that the players know each other before the season starts and get some game time together in pre-season. 

There are probably as many players out of contract as there have ever been in a close season, and no doubt we''ll probably sign one or two i''d expect.  Coupled with the extra cash available, just when do we reckon we''ll get that first ''OFFICIAL SMS'' text?  Also, i think anyone whos gonna be released will be out in the next week or 2.

I reckon week beginning 30th May...

But the extra time obviously gives the players time to blend, but the new player also gets chance to relocate the family if necessary and settle into the area which is also vital!

Dont most contracts run out 30th june? So i am expecting most activity at the end of june.

Although I think the transfer window reopens on 1st june as the european season will have ended - so definitely see some finished signings from then.

Cant see anything happening for out of contract players much earlier than the next couple of weeks

So which players are definitely out of contract then? I know we secured Wes, Grant and Lappin on long term deals earlier this year but is there anyone we want to keep who is at the end of their deal?

As more recent signings,the likes of Ruddy, Jackson, Tierney and Surman would clearly be tied to us for another couple of years.

Amongst those likely to move on I believe Cody has another year to run, but can''t pretend to be clear on a number of others. Any info welcome.

Players can talk to other clubs from 6 months before the end of the contract.   So yeah nobody will be officially signed until 1st July on that front, but the club can still talk to players and agents and agree a deal before the end of the contract. 

He started early with Elliot Ward at the end of May last year, I expect the same this season. He said last season that he will look to make most, if not all his signings before everyone arrives at pre season so everyone is well bonded in the group.

There are 4 out of contract

Askou, Gill, Dawkin and Habergham

All will be gone by the end of this week.

He should then move on another 6-8, Smith, McDonald, OTJ, Hughes, Daley,Wilbraham, McNamee (?), Drury (?)

All of above out of contract June 2012

1st signing May 31

[quote user="jamesg"]There are 4 out of contract Askou, Gill, Dawkin and Habergham All will be gone by the end of this week. He should then move on another 6-8, Smith, McDonald, OTJ, Hughes, Daley,Wilbraham, McNamee (?), Drury (?) All of above out of contract June 2012 1st signing May 31[/quote]

I think most on here will agree that, Askou, Gill, Otj, Hughes and Daley are pretty much done here.  Dawkin and Habergham are still both pretty young but have failed to break into the squad so doubt they would be around or missed.  The Smith you mention, is that Steven or Korey?  Korey needs some game time now and seems to have fallen down the pecking order a bit, lets remember he was an integral part of the team in league 1, perhaps a loan to a champ club could benefit him.  Mcnamee is another on the fringes, can change games as a sub, but cannot hold down a first team place, perhaps time to shift him on.  Wilbraham and Drury should still be here next season, Willy didn''t get the goals, but was becoming an integral part of the team before he got injured.  Cant see Lambo getting rid after only 6 months and Drury is perfect backup for Tierney and who knows for Cody...

I''m sure Lambert will have been on the phone since Tuesday talking to his targets saying "we are Premier League!".  I remember that we got a lot of players in early last season but didn''t sign them officially until the 1st of July, I will imagine it will be the same this season.

[quote user="jamesg"]There are 4 out of contract Askou, Gill, Dawkin and Habergham All will be gone by the end of this week. He should then move on another 6-8, Smith, McDonald, OTJ, Hughes, Daley,Wilbraham, McNamee (?), Drury (?) All of above out of contract June 2012 1st signing May 31[/quote]

Is that Korey Smith?  If it is then why would we get rid of him!?!?  A very young, talented and promising player who most people were saying last season would end up being a Premiership regular at some point in his career.  Getting rid of him would be stupid, send him on loan to develop yes but get rid no.

[quote user="ZippersLeftFoot"]Dont most contracts run out 30th june? So i am expecting most activity at the end of june. Although I think the transfer window reopens on 1st june as the european season will have ended - so definitely see some finished signings from then. Cant see anything happening for out of contract players much earlier than the next couple of weeks[/quote]

Last year he released the players he was releasing the day after the parade. He is ruthless about this type of thing so expect these texts next week.

Drury needs to kept, even if he''s not first-choice. We''ve only got to look back to see where we went wrong last time...

I see no reason why we should get rid of McNamee. Again, he won''t be first choice, but his introduction at Watford turned the game at a vital stage of the season. He could be a useful squad player.

Wilbraham may also stay. Won''t be a regular, but provides another cheap option.

Hughes will also stay I imagine, although will be a fringe player again.

Gill, Daley, Askou, Tudor-Jones (if we can move him on) will probably all leave.

[quote user="CanaryJames"]Drury needs to kept, even if he''s not first-choice. We''ve only got to look back to see where we went wrong last time... I see no reason why we should get rid of McNamee. Again, he won''t be first choice, but his introduction at Watford turned the game at a vital stage of the season. He could be a useful squad player. Wilbraham may also stay. Won''t be a regular, but provides another cheap option. Hughes will also stay I imagine, although will be a fringe player again. Gill, Daley, Askou, Tudor-Jones (if we can move him on) will probably all leave.[/quote]

Would have thought Drurys contract would have been sorted if he was staying. He will be allowed to leave but after his testimonial against Celtic I beleive wont be surprised if he retired.

Maybe you should have seen McNamee against Dereham. Wilbraham aside the rest were not his signings so as not established they have no chance you would think.

Drury signed a new contract for the end of next season not too long ago. So I think he is staying. That is a good thing.

Drury signed a one-year extension (until next summer) in November I believe?

I personally couldn''t care less what we did against Dereham to be honest. The priority was always the league, and while I fully agree that players could (and perhaps should) have ''made a point'' in the Dereham match, McNamee proved against Watford what he can bring to the squad. I''d keep him as back-up for another year, but try and bring in a ''90 minutes'' winger (Bennett) as well.

[quote user="CanaryJames"]Drury signed a one-year extension (until next summer) in November I believe? I personally couldn''t care less what we did against Dereham to be honest. The priority was always the league, and while I fully agree that players could (and perhaps should) have ''made a point'' in the Dereham match, McNamee proved against Watford what he can bring to the squad. I''d keep him as back-up for another year, but try and bring in a ''90 minutes'' winger (Bennett) as well.[/quote]

Yep I will concede he played well about three games. The rest of the time he was awful.