Sign in to follow this  
grantroederdisaster

Will Holt cut it in the Premiership?

Just thought I''d get in before anyone else does cause this time last year we had the "will Holt cut it in the Championship" question being bandied about!

Whether he does or not he deserves his chance like all the other major players in this seasons squad. Holt has been massive for us in the last 2 seasons with his leadership, desire, commitment, effort and of course the goals. While I''d expect his effectiveness to reduce next season, just like it did this season after stepping up from League 1, I still think he''ll have a big part to play!

There is no possible way of knowing, you will have to wait and see [:)]But there is one thing you will know, he will give his all regardless

My heart says yes, but my head says no.But, he played a big part in getting us here and he is club captain, so I ''m sure he''ll be given a fair chance.Its not going to be like Iwan - I hope!!

He has the strength to battle big central defenders. He has the footballing brain to pick out a pass and put Jackson / a.n.other through on goal. Maybe he doesn''t quite have the pace, but when you have the first 2 qualities it''s not so much of a problem. And he''s good in the air - which will be critical as so many goals in the Prem are scored from set pieces.

I think he''ll get 10 goals next season.

[quote user="blahblahblah"]He has the strength to battle big central defenders. He has the footballing brain to pick out a pass and put Jackson / a.n.other through on goal. Maybe he doesn''t quite have the pace, but when you have the first 2 qualities it''s not so much of a problem. And he''s good in the air - which will be critical as so many goals in the Prem are scored from set pieces.

I think he''ll get 10 goals next season.[/quote]Yeah, agree with this. Also the mention of Kevin Davies, who matured wonderfully and found his best form at the age of 32/33. I think Holt will definitely play an important part next season, and will step up to the plate and make a decent contribution in front of goal. With the quality and creativity in the midfield, I just can''t see him being a Steve Howard-style flop in the top tier.

If he gets in the weights room over the off-season, he will be fine. He is already bulky, just needs a little bit of extra strength and he will end up being one of the strongest in the league. He will love it, he loves time on the ball and thats what he will get.

He''ll need to win more flick ons instead of ducking out of them. My Tin hat is on!!

[quote user="zak123"]If he gets in the weights room over the off-season, he will be fine. He is already bulky, just needs a little bit of extra strength and he will end up being one of the strongest in the league. He will love it, he loves time on the ball and thats what he will get.[/quote]He''ll be given less time on the ball in the Premiership so will need to speed up his decision making - this applies to all the players. I''m not sure where this myth that the Premier League gives players more ball on the time comes from but it isn''t accurate.Holt can work well in the Prem, players like Kevin Davies and John Carew show that a big strong centre forward still has a place in English football. Even in the last 5 games or so you can see Holt has adapted his game to help the on-form Jackson, providing support and knock-ons. But as mentioned above by another poster, we won''t know for sure until next season.

If we get good service into Holt he will score goals. Think of all the goals he has scored this season from within the penalty box or even 6 yard box. Good service means good Holt and lots of goals. Just as importantly what will get from him on any level is all the nitty gritty stuff we love him for and defenders hate. Holding up the ball, putting himself about, letting the defenders know they are in a game etc. etc.Personally i think he will be fine as Lambert will add quality to the squad and Holt will get lots of crosses to feed on.

I think he will do well and I am sure that defenders won''t relish playing against him.

I think the Kevin Davies analogy is a good one, and they are both the type of players who will score goals at any level. Given enough starts, I can see Holt getting 12-15 goals next season, and premier league defences will hate playing against him. Interestingly, a few Saturdays ago when there were no Prem games, Sky Sports News concentrated on the Championship, and Jeff Stelling asked the guys in the studio if they thought Holt could cut it in the Premier League. The general consensus was that he would be fine, and they also mentioned Kevin Davies as an example.

Holt Will be ok as long as we can keep the service going to him and Jackson.... YES JACKSON!

Simeon is going to be crucial to our premiership season. I''m not 100% sure if Holt and Jackson go well together (still trying to make my mind up on that one).

But Simeon has proved his worth to the team over the last few months and i have said time and time again i was waiting for him to shine. And from the forest game he did in my humble opinion.

People are still saying who will you put to partner with holt next year!?!? I think time will tell but believe they both should be given a shot at the Premier.

Think I''ll borrow that tin hat please....

if Grant Holt scores 1 goal next season in a 1-0 win that means we stay up then as far as im concerned he was good enough.He wont get any where near as many goals but i think realistically 10-12 is on the cards and that could be enough...

"He''ll be given less time on the ball in the Premiership so will need to speed up his decision making - this applies to all the players. I''m not sure where this myth that the Premier League gives players more ball on the time comes from but it isn''t accurate."

You clearly don''t watch much Premiership football?

All players end up getting more time on the ball. In the PL there are less players like Crofts who run in and tackle anything that moves. Most defenders will stand off much more and cut balls out, mainly because getting beaten in the PL means a lot more. Players will get more time however have a more difficult time threading passes together like they do now.

To answer the question of this thread, see the "Will Holt cut it in the Championship?" thread for the start of this season. K Thnx!

[quote user="jas the barclay king"]He wont get any where near as many goals but i think realistically 10-12 is on the cards and that could be enough...[/quote]People said that last year and look what happened.  Although netting 23 again does seem a little far-fetched, I will admit...

[quote user="zak123"]"He''ll be given less time on the ball in the Premiership so will need to speed up his decision making - this applies to all the players. I''m not sure where this myth that the Premier League gives players more ball on the time comes from but it isn''t accurate." You clearly don''t watch much Premiership football? All players end up getting more time on the ball. In the PL there are less players like Crofts who run in and tackle anything that moves. Most defenders will stand off much more and cut balls out, mainly because getting beaten in the PL means a lot more. Players will get more time however have a more difficult time threading passes together like they do now.[/quote]

*Sits back and waits for Bethnal to explain what his job entails. [:D]

Yes of course he will - slightly disrepectful even starting this thread - it''s not needed!He is just one of those players. And most people probably know what i mean. A big, strong centre half with a good head, committed and not a bad finish either - bit more pace than people expect too. People have likened him to Davies and rightly so. He isn''t going to set the world alight but as many people have said - a very old-fashioned centre forward and i think he''ll love the premier league.

Hopefully we can get 100% fit from the off.  The last 2 seasons, hes missed most of pre-season and only got going after 5 or 10 games.  We cannot afford that next year, he has to ready for the first game.  I also think a lot will depend on our early season fixtures.  If we could have our first 6 games as something like Wigan H, Blakcburn A, Newcastle H, Villa A and perhaps Everton H, i could see us getting 7 or 8 points and a reasonable start to the season giving everyone confidence and no doubt Holty would be amongst the goals.

It all depends on what you mean by cut it as well.  Bents scored what 60 oadd goals in the last 3 seasons, but got 1 assist.  Holty scores loads and also sets up a lot too, so if he hadn''t scored in the first 10 games, but we were sitting in 10th having scored say 20 goals, and he has 5 or 6 assists, then yes he can cut it.

Strikers will always be judged on goals scored, but it doesn''t always tell the full story.  Hipefully he can get between 10 and 15 and that will give us a great chance of staying up...

As mentioned, you can guarantee he will work his ass off trying.

I am writing him off totally.

He''ll score no goals, get sent off early in every match and a wayward shot will put a knock out a fan in row Z of the Jarrold to much national laughter.

go on fate. prove me wrong.

Holty will scare the crap out of a lot of Prem defences.I can''t wait to see him leaving John Terry in a heap.

I think he will be fine.  He won''t score nearly as many goals but doubles figures would be fantastic for him because we know he will also set some up.  He probably won''t get that many goals which are solo efforts but he will get goals like the one he scored today as long as he gets the service.  We all know he will give 100% and will be a massive pain in the backside for defenders, I think even the top defenders will hate playing against him!  However when he tries to be clever by not going for headers and backing into defenders etc etc won''t work and he should cut that out and just win and get hold of as many balls as possible.

He will be just fine, I also think Simeon Jackson will be just fine as well.

I think the best player to guide as to what Holt might do in the premier league is John Walters, done well at Ipswich. Although not as prolific as Holt has been in his spell in the Championship he was with a much weaker side, and for me the two players are fairly matched talent wise (Holt is better in the box and on the ball but Walters is a bit more mobile). Point being, Walters is into double figures this season for Stoke (playing through the middle as well as wider) so with a full season i can''t see any reason why Holt can''t break double figures and possibly even push 15 or so - i believe Shola Ameobi is also into double figures and Holt''s stats are head and shoulders above his when he was in the Championship. Feed the Holt and he will score