Sign in to follow this  
militantcanary

Richie Le Laet

Norwich target United defender De Laet as first summer signing

May 8 2011 by David Kidd, The People

Add a comment

Recommend

NORWICH CITY want to make Manchester United defender Ritchie de Laet (left) their first Premier League signing.

Canaries boss Paul Lambert is looking to bring in seven or eight players after back-to-back promotions.

Belgian centre-back De Laet, 22, has been on loan at Portsmouth and it is believed United boss Alex Ferguson will allow him to leave Old Trafford this summer.

Seems like the first reasonable rumour, he has done well at Portsmouth and prob would be available for under 1M

Really hope not. Thought he had an absolute nightmare when United chucked him in at centre back last year when they had a crisis at the back last year. I also think he has been pretty average at both Preston and Portsmouth this year.

I wasn''t very impressed by him against us last Monday. I just hope he will become back up for Martin if he is to sign him. In Lambert we trust.

Would fit the bill well. Young with potential and something to prove. Very inexperienced but seems to have done well on loan. Also been capped a couple of times by Belgium. The other very useful thing is that he can play left back as well as centre back.

http://www.manutd.com/en/Players-And-Staff/First-Team/Ritchie-De-Laet.aspx?pageNo=1

Wasn''t too impressed with him in the Pompey game - the way he lost Jackson for the goal was very poor defending. 

But he''s quick - look at the way he got to the ball first in a flat race with Jackson in the 2nd half - that was impressive. Great potential and we will need a defender with pace in the centre - make no mistake.

I''ve signed him for us in the last few versions of Football Manager!

However, in the real world...iut does look a realistic signing and one that ticks quite a few of PL''s boxes-he is young, has some quality about him and is now, presumably, eager to move on from the sheltered surrounds of Old Trafford.

Ryan Bertrand will surely move on from Chelsea this Summer, finally (he actually played for them a week or so ago!), he''s another I''d like to see us go for.

Martin Taylor is an excellent shout.

Apparently named Man Utd Reserve Player of the Season last year:

"Hot on the heels of Will Keane receiving the Young Player of the Year award, Ritchie de Laet has been named this season’s Denzil Haroun Reserve Player of the Year at the annual United awards night.

Nominated alongside teammates Oliver Gill and Magnus Eikrem by Reserve team manager Ole Gunnar Solskjaer and his assistant Warren Joyce, de Laet claimed the award after coming out on top in a poll of United fans on the club’s official website manutd.com and continued the run of defenders picking up the honour, following on from Richard Eckersley and last year’s winner James Chester – an interesting contrast with the recent domination of the Young Player of the Year gong by forward players. Other previous winners of the Reserve award include the decorated trio of Nicky Butt, John O’Shea and Darren Fletcher."

I thought he looked quite decent on Monday, physically he looked strong this will probably be more and more important in the premiership.

He was their weak link on monday at the back and I''d like us to go for someone like Inigo Calderon, although he''d probably cost us more.

Don''t forget that people were questioning the likes of Russell Martin, David Fox etc etc when they first came, so I''m sure Lambert knows what he''s doing and can get the best out of him, if this rumour is indeed true.

However, I''d much rather see us take Halford from Pompey . . . Good be a great signing for us in the Prem so long as he keeps his temperament and discipline in check.

Yep this is why I have confidence in lanbert he knows he type of player and improves them.

I note that in most cases lambert likes mobile athletic players who cover a lot of ground.

You cannot make a good slow player fast and good fast players are normally in the prem already or expensive.

So logically if you want to make a prem player you have to get the raw components and improve them.

Sounds like a good signing to me we lack pace.

[quote user="canaryrozzer11"]Don''t forget that people were questioning the likes of Russell Martin, David Fox etc etc when they first came, so I''m sure Lambert knows what he''s doing and can get the best out of him, if this rumour is indeed true. However, I''d much rather see us take Halford from Pompey . . . Good be a great signing for us in the Prem so long as he keeps his temperament and discipline in check.[/quote]

I am a big fan of Halford but I he has played for Wolves, Reading and Sunderland in the Premier League and failed to produce the goods. Not sure why really. But a good athlete with lots to prove who can play at centre half or right back with equal ability.

Would love to see him at carrow road next season. Has lots of potential and I think Lambert will be able to get the most out of him. Also can play anywhere across the back so will be providing competition for all of the back four.

Thought he was poor against us for Pompey so not that keen on this rumour.

As for the Halford comment above well he was even worse. All he can do is long throws. With the ball at his feet he''s a complete clown and nowhere near good enough for what we need.

Well I wouldn''t rule out signing a player on the back of a ''poor performance''. The fact he won Man Utd''s reserve player of the year says more to me. I trust Lambert, and hope we get him, if we are indeed in for him.

Good on FM? Well that settles it then. Got my vote!

[quote user="Hog"]Good on FM? Well that settles it then. Got my vote![/quote]

Damn straight!

I''d like to think that, once Lambert has a finalised list of transfer targets, he plays a season on FM with that team to see how they get on, and make adjustments accordingly...

[quote user="Evil Monkey"]

[quote user="Hog"]Good on FM? Well that settles it then. Got my vote![/quote]

Damn straight!

I''d like to think that, once Lambert has a finalised list of transfer targets, he plays a season on FM with that team to see how they get on, and make adjustments accordingly...

[/quote]

Thats just what I would do [:D]

[quote user="LinkNR9"]Wasn''t too impressed with him in the Pompey game - the way he lost Jackson for the goal was very poor defending. [/quote]

JACKO ON HIS DAY WOULD LEAVE ANY DEFENDER IN HIS WAKE!!! Including prem!!