Sign in to follow this  
Being Jan Kristiansen...

Should We Sign Bentley

He is a good prospect, and I cannot see him even making the bench of an Arsenal first team game. If we were to buy him, it would have to be now because Wenger will probably not even consider a bid for him in the summer if we send him back now. 
I think if someone can instill the right work ethic into his footballing mind, then he could be a very good player.

Well if he wasn''t injured, I''d say give him a few more games; but given that we don''t have that luxury, maybe Worthy should sign him in the summer, assuming that Arsenal still don''t want him in their first team, and he wants to come. A player like that is only going to get better for us, as we''ve already seen this season.

Pre Bolton game I wouldnt of been sure but now I think that if we can get him for under £1.5mil (providing we stay up) then we should sign him.

He has the skills but he just does not always make the right decisions, but he has improved in the few months we have had him.

Yes - heaps of potential and was beginning to fulfil some of it.  Can make things happen out of nothing.  Would be sad to see him rot in their reserves until he got totally disenchanted with football as well as with Arsenal.

[quote]He is a good prospect, and I cannot see him even making the bench of an Arsenal first team game. If we were to buy him, it would have to be now because Wenger will probably not even consider a bid for...[/quote]

I guess if we signed him now, that would solve the max loan players problem. But we''ve got other things to worry about ATM I think, such as survival. If worthy has any money to spend on players at the moment, realistically it needs to be spent on a defender and/or midfielder to solve the immediate injury problems.

How about converting the loan with Arsenal to a permanent deal (at the right price) conditional on having a further loanee (Pennant perhaps) for remainder of the season.

Win - win

I would love us to sign him.  His vision will be missed in midfield, I know he often over-complicated things but he was always calm on the ball.  He wanted the ball all the time and was always looking to create chances and have a shot.  We don''t have any-one else in that mould and we could not afford an experienced player of that type.

Well it totally depends on the fee really doesn''t it but really how many good games has he had for us (apart from the Bolton match)? How many times has he actually hit the target (except for the fortuitous Given fumble)?

So my conclusion......No. 

I don''t believe he would be a good signing as he was just doesn''t fit into the system Worthington plays. He hasn''t been found a position in the team shape that suits him, and i feel Worthy rather had his hands tied behind his back in that he was signed on the promise that he would play regular first team football.

Lets be honest, his only performance of note has come in the Bolton match. I personally believe he played to his strengths in the early games at Newcastle and Man Utd. Worthy believes in a high work ethic (rightly so) which Bents'' natural game is not based around. Being one of the poorer teams in the league, we cant needlessly give the ball away, which is what happened with Bentley often early on, and i''m sure Worthy told him this. If we play two up-front, where one isn''t Hucks, Bentley simply cannot be accomadated in the team.

I also feel Bentley would be reluctant to move to Norwich, and would Arsenal really want to sell in the first place?? 

Way too risky. Can''t hit a barn door. Drifts in and out of games. If he came through our own youth ranks he''d be behind Jarvis and Crow. No no no no no.

i would take bentley in a heartbeat. at anything up to 1.5 million if we can afford it. simply put, he is the most skilful, vision-oriented player in our squad. and he''s young.if you could build a nucleus of a team around Green, Doherty, Shackell, Francis, Bentley and Ashton for years to come, it heralds a good future for the club. We just don''t have a midfielder on staff like him.

The two key comments are how much would he cost and could Worthy find a formation that suits him? The comparison with Bergkamp became possible once he moved onto the shoulder of Sven in the BOlton game - an advanced midfield position got the best out of him and he was superb. Buying him as a ''standard'' midfielder or as a wide player would not make much sense, it wastes his talents and like Hux he look out of position and a threat lessened there.He has showed us that he has ability and far more than many of the midfielders we own so he would strengthen the team long term.OTBC

an unreserved yes!!

it''s about time we bought some players with flair and promise for the future, and bentley would fit well into both categories, i have liked him from the start, and just recently (once playing with a decent midfield) he has started to look really good, the fact he is now injuried should not put off the board, i imagine he is part of the green deal anyway, so will look forward to seeing more of him next season

[quote]an unreserved yes!! it''s about time we bought some players with flair and promise for the future, and bentley would fit well into both categories, i have liked him from the start, and just recently (...[/quote]

Without any doubt:

NO WAY, PEDRO!

If we get him for less than £250,000 yes. But, he has been inconsistent since his arrival to us. He does show flashes of class, and can turn it on occasionally, and he''s most definitely a future prospect but personally, not for a club like Arsenal. He is still a tadge "Chavish" and immature, both on and off the playing field. His recent passion for the accelerator pedal, brings unwanted attention to his employers, and can be disruptive to the day to day running of the club. 

Yes, I understand the trials & tribulations of adolescence and peer pressure (being a father of 4 sons). But, stability off the pitch, means stability on it. Worthy will put him on the straight path (if we ever did sign him). So yes! If if we can get him for a decent price, I''d "Ave Him!"....