Sign in to follow this  
Row D Seat 7

Sammy Clingan Wiki

Among many great moments yesterday was the crowds song towards Sammy Clingan, reminding him that if he''d stayed loyal to us, he wouldn''t be looking forward to yet another season in the Championship.

Someone (not me) didn''t waste anytime updating his Wikipedia page under the Coventry City section either. Love it.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sammy_Clingan

[quote user="Row D Seat 7"]Among many great moments yesterday was the crowds song towards Sammy Clingan, reminding him that if he''d stayed loyal to us, he wouldn''t be looking forward to yet another season in the Championship. [/quote]

How do you know he wasn''t pushed so as to raise funds and decrease the wage bill?

I would like to know  the background to his departure, it did seem from a fans perspective as if he jumped ship at the first oppertunity, I was a bit uncomfortable with the stick he got yeaterday, but the chanting  was excellent and I  had to join in. The point for me is though, he was one guy who always gave 100% , even when we were falling apart I thought he was trying, I was very sorry to see him go!!

Yes the song directed at Clingan was funny and from the moment when few a hard Norwich tackles put him of his stride and he spat his dummy out!

I''ve total respect for what Clingan done for us in that woeful relegation season 2 years ago!

He was one of the few players in that squad who could hold their heads up high and say they couldn''t of done much, if any more than what they produced!

This was evident at Charlton on the last day when he was trying his guts out and ended up getting very angry at some of his half hearted team mates!

He would of been a more worthy player of the season than that awards worst ever winner which was Lee Croft that season!

How things were at Carrow Road at that moment in time you couldn''t blame him for jumping ship cause he was one of the few members of our squad who could of moved onto better things!

Although very amusing, I''m not entirely sure that Clingan did want to leave. If we''re talking about "rats leaving a sinking ship hastily", then it was actually David Marshall who couldn''t get away quick enough !!?!

David Bell was first out, we paid him for 3 months when first signed, (why does anybody sign an injured player), he then played a few games and promptly left...............again he couldnt wait to wear the Norwich shirt again yesterday!!

David Fox has been excellent for us this season, but is he better than Clingan? There''s not a lot in it for me, in terms of style or ability. Both of them looked fine Championship players for us, in a similar role.Clingan is a very good player and I don''t blame him for leaving. He proved during our relegation campaign that he would''ve been far too good for League One.

I think Clingan is certainly the better ball winner/intercepter of a pass, but Fox has far the better range of passing......but if you were to compare Clingan and Crofts in the base of midfield, I''d rather Crofts!

I did like how Clingan and Bell were the only Cov players to put on Norwich shirts after the game ended, Clingan also donned a City scarf and looked like an excited yellows fans!

I''m quite happy to be able to say that I know who did this, I was there when it was done, and I''m pretty sure he abused some other Wiki pages at the same time, although I forget which...

Whilst the chant was very funny and I did join in I can''t help feel that Clingan didn''t deserve that stick. I remember thinking at the time that I thought it was a bit strange as he never once came out and said he wanted to leave or overtly appeared to force a move. I also recall it being said at the time that he wasn''t that keen to go as his girlfiend was local etc.

It was interesting that when Darel Russell eventually gave that interview to the EDP he implied that Gunn had basically told him he was leaving that summer and he had then been frozen out. Would not surprise me if the same happened with Clingan - i.e. we needed to save money so he was basically forced out. I thought he was a great player and to be honest think he could hold his own in a lower prem side.

If he wanted to stay, he would have stayed. He could have taken a pay cut, but instead decided to go to Coventry. I don''t feel bad for him at all.

If he''d have stayed loyal, it really could have been him. He wasn''t loyal, therefore it''s not, and he will be scrapping in the Championship again next season.

[quote user="Jim Smith"]

Whilst the chant was very funny and I did join in I can''t help feel that Clingan didn''t deserve that stick. I remember thinking at the time that I thought it was a bit strange as he never once came out and said he wanted to leave or overtly appeared to force a move. I also recall it being said at the time that he wasn''t that keen to go as his girlfiend was local etc.

It was interesting that when Darel Russell eventually gave that interview to the EDP he implied that Gunn had basically told him he was leaving that summer and he had then been frozen out. Would not surprise me if the same happened with Clingan - i.e. we needed to save money so he was basically forced out. I thought he was a great player and to be honest think he could hold his own in a lower prem side.

[/quote]

I made the same point to the offending wag whilst said Wiki page was being updated... its still funny, though...

My video of the chant:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vJtC9lI6934

or

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bJW9xAuImYE

[quote user="thefutureisyellow"]I would like to know  the background to his departure, it did seem from a fans perspective as if he jumped ship at the first oppertunity, I was a bit uncomfortable with the stick he got yeaterday, but the chanting  was excellent and I  had to join in. The point for me is though, he was one guy who always gave 100% , even when we were falling apart I thought he was trying, I was very sorry to see him go!!
[/quote]

Odd how people seem to forget about Bells departure........

I thought the song was quite funny, especially the way it increased in volume as the afternoon went on. I think a little bit of good-natured stick was in order: if you leave a relegated team I think you have to expect a bit of mockery when that team charges past you into the Premier League. Not sure about the booing, though. If all our players had been as good and as committed as Clingan that year, we would never have gone down.

TFiY: I think most people forgot about Bell''s arrival, too.

Am pretty sure that Clingan was very happy to stay but NCFC wanted to get him off the wage structure and use his fee to bring in players. I applaud him for his efforts as he always gave his all when wearing the shirt unlike some.

I also can''t imagine playing in the Roeder days were a great pleasure but Bell seemed to get out of the club as fast as he could. I could see why we would have a go at Marshall (D) as he was gone just as the season was closing but Clingan was one of the last to go.