Sign in to follow this  
Thecanaryfan

Clingan and Bell start for Coventry

It''s funny how things turn out.  David Bell did a half-decent job despite never being fully fit, and under Glenn Roeder I can''t blame players for leaving.  Clingan deserted the sinking ship, but imagine what Lambert could do with him, with Lambert''s record of getting players to play at their peak.

Great song sung by the Barclay#It could have been you, it could have been you, Sammy Clingan, it could have been you!#

[quote user="Herman "]

[:D]Liking it.

Anything happening at the game?

[/quote]22 men in brightly coloured clothes are kicking a ball about.

How did they do - always liked Clingham - he had a hell of a ping!

[quote user="NWC"]How did they do - always liked Clingham - he had a hell of a ping!
[/quote]

Is this a case of plastic fan syndrome?  Someone who ''liked'' a player so much they cant spell his name... [;)]

[quote user="jed exodous"]

[quote user="NWC"]How did they do - always liked Clingham - he had a hell of a ping!
[/quote]

Is this a case of plastic fan syndrome?  Someone who ''liked'' a player so much they cant spell his name... [;)]

[/quote]

Its even worse that the word Clingan is in the title [:P]

Why was Bell being booed?

As far as i remember it, he wasn''t given that much of a chance/wasn''t. No one liked Roeder, so he left....

[quote user="Nexus_Canary"]It could have been you
It could have been youuuu
Sammy Clingon
It could have been you !!

Classic :)
[/quote]

Was really good when whole ground sang it after Lansbury upset / got upset by him

It''s funny we have effectively replaced bell and clingan with like for like replacements in surman and fox.

I''d still have clingan Back here too, I don''t think he wanted out as much as people think, the club told him he was going to be sold. Imagine a midfield consisting of clingan fox & surman - we''d never give the ball away!

[quote user="lincoln canary"]It''s funny we have effectively replaced bell and clingan with like for like replacements in surman and fox.

I''d still have clingan Back here too, I don''t think he wanted out as much as people think, the club told him he was going to be sold. Imagine a midfield consisting of clingan fox & surman - we''d never give the ball away![/quote]

No thanks, rather have Crofts.

Good shout, he would be a solid addition to our defensive midfield unit, thought he was there best player, neat & tidy very much in the style of fox & crofts would provide good cover in these areas, I also thought Rosenior right sided full/wing back would add cover to Russel Martin,

I could be wrong, but as I recall it, he said that he never wanted to leave but was pushed out. He arrived on a free, I think, so was probably on high wages.

Muddy - that''s how I remember it.

I don''t like the lack of loyalty that we show to some players who have left us. Given the shortage of money that we have had, I thinnk that several of our players that are regarded as "deserters" were actually forced out.

There is also the issue of the personalities of some of our managers - take the Hoolahan "silence" over his views of Roeder in the article yesterday (as the paper put it "safe to assume, he is not on Hoolahan''s Christmas card list!"). If you are working 6 days a week with someone you hate, it must be hard.

To be fair I thought both had decent games, reasonable delivery from both throughout the game- had that odious human King been on form we''d have conceded a few more. Our back four did understandably look they''d just stumbled out of the bar at times though [B]. 

The money we got for Clingan in some way went to buying some of the players who got us promoted again. Didn''t see a need to boo him. Sounded like he absolutley hated it at Coventry under Boothroyd though- big punts over his head all the time.

Only the club know the true story with Clingan. If he wanted to go, no way would I have him back, however, if he was forced out then that is different matter. Personally. I would have thought the club would have tried to keep key players, of which he was certainly one, so I am dubious about him being forced out. .

Was Clingan really that good though? I don''t think he''d get near our side now. Yes he always looked assured and composed on the ball but in those days our midfield gave little protection to the back four. I used to think Clingan was as guilty as the others at losing the runners. But I guess the back four always carry the can and nobody wonders how come they were left exposed....

[quote user="paul moy"]Only the club know the true story with Clingan. If he wanted to go, no way would I have him back, however, if he was forced out then that is different matter. Personally. I would have thought the club would have tried to keep key players, of which he was certainly one, so I am dubious about him being forced out. .[/quote]

Given the finances at the time, I should imagine the club were keen to reduce the wage bill and have the transfer fee.

Bell was quality, just never fit. He got a great assist when we beat Forest away during the relegation season, can''t remember who scored though. He left for personal reasons- his family lived in the Midlands, or something along those lines and he was finding it hard being so far away, which is fair enough in my eyes. Shame though real quality crosser of the ball. Not sure on the Clingan issue, but if we were in such a dire financial position as McNally has recently stated then the high earners would have to come off the books. Personally I would have either of them back at Norwich- I think they are quality players who could be well used by Lambert.

Would have Clingan back as back up for Crofts and Fox.

I suspect Lambert will be aiming much higher than the likes of Bell and Clingan mind. I suspect Crofts and Fox will drop down the pecking order come next season.