Sign in to follow this  
Row D Seat 7

I think 13 players will leave this summer...

Looking through the squad I can see Lambert getting rid of/releasing the following players:

Dec Rudd - Loan

Simon Lappin

Jens Berthel-Askou

Stephen Hughes

Anthony McNamee

Matt Gill

Chris Martin - Loan

Tom Adeyemi - Loan

Aaron Wilbraham

Oli Johnson

Cody McDonald

Steven Smith

Owain Tudor-Jones

I would be inclined to keep McNamee for his pace, and Simon Lappin but sadly, with £40m to spend, I think these players will leave. Lambert obviously thinks the squad needs a bit of an overhaul.

[quote user="Row D Seat 7"]Looking through the squad I can see Lambert getting rid of/releasing the following players: Dec Rudd - Loan Simon Lappin Jens Berthel-Askou Stephen Hughes Anthony McNamee Matt Gill Chris Martin - Loan Tom Adeyemi - Loan Aaron Wilbraham Oli Johnson Cody McDonald Steven Smith Owain Tudor-Jones I would be inclined to keep McNamee for his pace, and Simon Lappin but sadly, with £40m to spend, I think these players will leave. Lambert obviously thinks the squad needs a bit of an overhaul.[/quote]

From your list the only two I do not agree with is Lappin and Chris Martin.

Lappin is a good squad player and City through and through and I do not think Martin will learn anything from going on loan and he will not want to go out on loan. If he was to go then who could we replace him with? Another young forward? we may as well keep him,

From what I can make out we have 16 certains from the 25 that we can name:

Ruddy - R. Martin - Tierney - Drury - Barnett - Ward - Whitbread - Fox - Crofts - K. Smith - Surman - Lappin - Hoolahan - Holt - Jackson - C. Martin.

That leaves 9 places to be filled.

From the list above that gives us

GK x 1

DL x 2

DC x 3

DR x 1

MLC x 2

DM x 1

MRC x 2

AMC x 1

STR x 2

TM x 1

From this I think we need another experienced GK, a RB, a CB, a DM, a AMC and a Target Man -

this then leaves 3 more signings for Lambert to strengthen the squad

Whether or not PL decides to name a few of the youth as part of the 25 is anyones guess

Chris Martin was just ok this season. I can''t see him doing it at premiership level to be honest. I''ll hold my hands up if I''m wrong.

I''m not convinced he will light the prem up either but I feel he still has a part to play in the season. Hopefully he will relish playing up there and show us all that he is as good as we all know he can be

From the OP''s original list, I reckon Lappin, Martin will definitely stay at Carrow Road for the season, & Wilbraham probably as well.

I''d add Daley and just possibly Drury to your list of those going, though.

I think next season will be Drury''s last. He''s been so loyal to us when he could have moved on, so I think we should reward loyalty and have him around next year.

I''d keep Lappin. Hes not a great player but hes consistant and hungry to do well. Quite often this means he can eclipse players with much more ability. For instance for large parts of this season for whatever reason he was more useful to use than the much better Surman!

Lappin will be a useful squad player!

Chris Martin can also do a similar squad role. While hes not going to get loads of goals, he is another option and can also play behind the front two or in a wide role. Another factor with Matin is that he gets stuck in which makes him more useful than a youngster scared to express themselves on the pitch!

Drurys cameo appearance on Saturday makes you wonder if hes going elsewhere although he has got another year on his contract. Drury looked encouragingly sharp on Saturday despite hardly featuring lately so I think he''d be a more than useful back up player to Tierney next season!

The rest on the 1st posters list I''d agree with although I suspect Lambert will keep Wilbraham cause he signed him, although he will probably be loaned out. I personnally didn''t think Wilbraham was barely good enough for the Championship due to his lack of mobility, although he did a job in a handful of games. I think the Premiership would be a step too far for Aaron!

I do suspect that we''ll see a shock deparute from the team in the summer much in the same way as we saw with the Doc last summer!

All in all happy days!

Lappin might not pull up any trees but with him we have a solid player who is going to be consistent in most games. I think with him being Mr Norwich as well, we need players like him for next season battle.

Also it might not have been with Prem in mind but Lappin and Drury both signed new contracts this season, so can''t see both leaving maybe Drury although I think he would be handy to have around.

I think Martin could benefit with another season in the Championship to be honest as well as Adeyemi, Rudd, Steer, Daley, Johnson and Francomb.

Think this is a good opportunity to get them some first team football elsewhere preferably in the Championship.

I can see the deadwood leaving, maybe freeing up some wages.

The one player I have no idea whether he will stay or not is McNamee, he can change a game and is a good impact player but I think we can get someone with more consistency who can maybe match his pace. Elliot Bennett I think would be good, I remember him playing a blinder against Stoke in the cup this season for Brighton.

Chris Martin on loan? That would be completely pointless. Players go on loan to build confidence, strength and broaden their football education. Chris has done that, he doesn''t lack confidence or strength and he has mixed it at most levels in the game. Either you sell him on or you give him his chance.

I can''t believe how narrow minded people are. If someone had suggested in January that we should take Simeon to the Premier they would have been laughed out of town. Now he''s scored a bunch of goals in April and he''s a nailed on certainty to take to the Premier league. I don''t disagree, but that could so easily have been Martin scoring those goals.

I still believe he''s the most talented striker we have and i also believe Lambert will give him a chance. He''s a big game player and he will make the step as well as anyone at the club.

First, be sure of one thing - whatever PL says in awe of the Premier League he is going into it to get results - he will not stand on the side of the pitch feeling small and the Norwich Board will know this and know that if they want to keep him they had better give him a fighting chance of more than survival. Lambert will not tolerate losing on a regular basis.

Second, you need a squad in the Premier League more than ever so don''t be surprised to see player like Lapps, Drury and CM retained.

As to new players - read a Vokes sized forward; a Lansbury type midfielder; and Edwards type defernder and a Pacheco type forward for starters - that''s four he will want to replace. We need another CM - someone with pace for the forwards who play off the last man; that''s five.

Russell Martin needs cover - that''s six. We need a second experienced goalkeeper - that''s seven.

I''m sure Steven Smith, Cody Mac and Matty Gill are already pencelled in by other Clubs. I am sure OTJ and Stephen Hughes will go along with Jens and that is another six off the wage bill.

I can, therefore see a whole new 11 coming in based on loanees returning and players not featuring this season going. I expect Pl to do what he did last time and buy some players to improve and some established.

At the beginning of this season it was obvious players like OTJ, Gill and Askou weren''t going to feature too heavily, but we kept hold of them for the sake of having a squad and no one wanted them. I wouldn''t expect such a dramatic change in the squad, especially players like Lappin and Chris Martin as we have to keep in mind there is a large chance we will be back in the Championship in a years time

I''m sure if someone came in for Lappin etc the club would be willing to do a deal, but I don''t think we''ll see players like that being released from their contracts (what''s the point, if we are going to have to pay them might as well keep them around). I''ve also felt Lambert quite likes Stephen Hughes but injuries have hampered his progress.

There will be a general strenghting through out the squad, with some players we wouldn''t expect being knocked out of the team we might not expect (I wouldn''t be surprised to see Fox, Crofts or Surman lose thier place). How many of us thought Korey Smith would barely feature this season?

[quote user="Row D Seat 7"]Looking through the squad I can see Lambert getting rid of/releasing the following players:

Dec Rudd - Loan

Simon Lappin

Jens Berthel-Askou

Stephen Hughes

Anthony McNamee

Matt Gill

Chris Martin - Loan

Tom Adeyemi - Loan

Aaron Wilbraham

Oli Johnson

Cody McDonald

Steven Smith

Owain Tudor-Jones

I would be inclined to keep McNamee for his pace, and Simon Lappin but sadly, with £40m to spend, I think these players will leave. Lambert obviously thinks the squad needs a bit of an overhaul.[/quote]

I''d like us to keep Mcnamee as well, he''s so exciting to watch and he gives us something different off the bench. However if he signs a couple of exciting wingers for the season then we probaly won''t need him im afraid.

There are 2 things to consider here before reducing our squad down to it''s bare bones.

i) We will now be operating under strict transfer windows, which when shut , we will have what we have until the next one opens, no emergency loans, nothing. For the sake of keeping the likes of C.Martin & Lappin on board for the sake of sheer numbers is a must.

ii) We will (presumably) be competing in the Premier reserve league next season, which is a decent level of football and will provide both young/fringe players a competitive standard to keep them sharp. I''d far rather keep the likes of C.Martin,K.Smith,Adeyemi,Rudd and possibly even McDonald around the club to compete in this rather than send them out on loan and keep them  around the club if called upon.

[quote user="GJL Mid-Norfolk Canary"]

There are 2 things to consider here before reducing our squad down to it''s bare bones.

i) We will now be operating under strict transfer windows, which when shut , we will have what we have until the next one opens, no emergency loans, nothing. For the sake of keeping the likes of C.Martin & Lappin on board for the sake of sheer numbers is a must.

ii) We will (presumably) be competing in the Premier reserve league next season, which is a decent level of football and will provide both young/fringe players a competitive standard to keep them sharp. I''d far rather keep the likes of C.Martin,K.Smith,Adeyemi,Rudd and possibly even McDonald around the club to compete in this rather than send them out on loan and keep them  around the club if called upon.

[/quote]You really can''t disagree with that.  Many including myself have simply overlooked the tighter transfer window.

So many are fingering Lappin as one of those to leave this summer.   Apart from the fact that Lambert really rates Simon and iusually has him on the bench, didn''t he sign a new contratc recently?   Are our management so cavalier as to sign a player up and sell him on a couple of months later?

What about Sam Vokes?

When he left there were plenty on here who said they would welcome him back.

I see him as a back up player initially but then taking over from Holt over the next couple of years.   He would be younger, more able and more promising Wilby and I see that role going being important going forward.

Drury, Lappin and Martin will stay, I reckon...

The rest will almost certainly move on, although I wonder if Cody might be simply loaned out to a Championship club this time to give him a chance to prove himself at that level should we go back down.

As for who we''re getting in to replace them - is there really any point in speculating, given how Lambert''s signings have often come from out of left field and taken us all by surprise?

Lambert said someting along the lines of giving people a chance last week, so I would expect Lappin and Chris Martin to stay here. There might be contingency plans if we go down, as in wage structures and possibly retaining certain players, linked to whichever League we are in the season after, but with Mr McNally around, you can be sure that we won''t be in  ''Hull'' position if the smelly stuff hits the fan. 

I think the point about tighter transfer windows is the key. This will require a bigger squad of players, including ''squad players'' for cover. Players like Gill, Johnson, McDonald and McNamee aren''t costing a fortune and can play in the reserves when not required in the match squad. Hughes is reported to be on £7,000 a week so Lambert may have to think harder on him.

I''d like to see Lansbury and Pacheco back on loan. If not, we''ll need new players in those positions. A new GK could also come in on loan for the year. That leaves a quality striker (or two?), quality DMF, a winger/striker (Bennett?) a 4th CB and a RB without drastic breaking up of the present squad and its spirit. All that can be done comfortably, allowing the club to reduce money lost paying off the debt and a reserve  fund to cover contingencies (a la Alan Sugar''s views last night). The club is a business and needs to plan for the future. I think McNally and Lambert will improve the squad hugely and sensibly without risking everything. OTBC!

I think he will keep the team we have, plus the subs regularly used who he thinks can cut it in the prem, and add to our already bonded squad, but only with people he thinks will fit in nicely with how NCFC run things.

Im happy to trust Lambert and his team.  And will also be happy if we stick with the main squad and just add to strengthen certain areas.

I think the shock departure might be Elliot Ward. His anticipation and distribution can be good but his defensive kicking can be poor and he is liable to lapses of concentration.he will be caught out too often I fear by players of the calibre of Rooney ,Defoe and Drogba.

with £40m to spend, I think these players will leave.

So all the £40m we receive from Sky for next season will be spent on players! i doubt it

Cambridge Canary is right.

Simon Lappin signed a new contract in February this year.

This is what Paul Lambert said at the time

"Simon has done great for me during my time here and it''s great for him and the Club that he has signed an extension to his contract.

"He had been through a bad spell with the Club before I arrived but his contribution over the past 17 months has been great and like I said it''s great for him and the Club that Simon will be here until 2013."

http://www.canaries.co.uk/page/NewsDetails/0,,10355~2262952,00.html

[quote user="Jarrolder"]I think the shock departure might be Elliot Ward. His anticipation and distribution can be good but his defensive kicking can be poor and he is liable to lapses of concentration.he will be caught out too often I fear by players of the calibre of Rooney ,Defoe and Drogba.[/quote]

No chance.

On a slightly different note, does anyone think we''ll be signing players from abroad? I may be forgetting someone fairly obvious, but who was the last player City signed from a non-British team?

[quote user="Anderz"]On a slightly different note, does anyone think we''ll be signing players from abroad? I may be forgetting someone fairly obvious, but who was the last player City signed from a non-British team?[/quote]

Askou I think

This is my t ake on current squad

Loanees in: Lansbury, Pacheco and Edwards - wouldn''t mind seeing all 3 back next year

Loanees out: Adeyemi - loan again next season

Cody - loan again next season

K Smith - will be loaned to a championship club

To Leave: Gill, Hughes, Wilbraham, C Martin, Johnson, S Smith, OTJ, Askou

Required: Goalkeeper (imo Ruddy won''t be good enough in Prem)

RB - cover for Russ

LB - Cover for Tierney if Drury isn''t up to it

CB - can see Whitbread and Barnett being first choice, this could possibly be Edwards, but maybe 1 other with prem experience.

CM - need some experience in there

CF - need 2 definately

Like just about everybody else, I would be amazed if Lappin left and probably not Martin either.

Re incomers - I think that we need more strength, height and speed to make sure that we don''t get muscled out of some of the games with close rival that might prove critical to our long term prospects.