Sign in to follow this  
alysha

Rohan Ricketts - Twitter

I know that when Rohan Ricketts confirmed on Twitter that he was scheduled to have a trial with us, it was not recieved well with many posters claiming that he was never much good and certainly not the type of player we should look to be signing. I thought that our club would put him through his paces and if they believed him to be useful and sign him then thats fine by me - trust the management team which has got us this far. Rickett''s abilities aside however, what has slightly concerned me is that after I began to follow Ricketts on Twitter, unlike previous players of ours which have just tweeted every now and again, Ricketts seems to be tweeting all the time about different debates in the game and about how he is writing his own book and has his own column etc. Don''t get me wrong I have no problem with footballers being on Twitter, but to me Ricketts is coming across as a type of retired player who is trying to self promote and draw attention to himself. Each to their own, just doesn''t seem to fit into our type of team mentality.

So, was just wondering if I am being overly critical? *awaits abuse* Does it matter if our players are the type to get heavily involved in stuff outside of NCFC, or would you rather we maintained the types of players who keep their head down and appears to soley only concentrate on playing footaball, as opposed to debating and writing books about it such as Ricketts?

Lambert when asked about Ricketts said "never heard of him".As we have no real idea what the current players do outside of football then it is hard to judge really. Crofts could be getting into debates and writing a book, we just wouldn''t know.Rio Ferdinand is one of the best defenders in the country and is constantly on Twitter - these things basically have very little to do with their football ability and not worth worrying about.The fact that Ricketts seems to think a little bit more about the game than many others might mean he is a little smarter than the average footballer, which can only be a good thing. But we all know, if he came here and was brilliant, no one would care about his Twitter habits.

He hasn''t been offered a trial. He''s an desperate, pathetic, unrelenting self-publicist who believes in ''Brand Rohan Ricketts'', he''ll accept any interview going if it gets his name in the papers and if he ever gets near Carrow Road with Lambert in charge I will eat my own shoes

Was very surprised to here a link with him. I personally don''t think he will be coming anywhere near the place. He has had a pretty nomadic career up until now and has never really impressed. But then again Crofty was playing non league football with Wrexham, Fox came from the Colchester reserves and Martin the Peterborough reserves. So stranger things have happened I guess!

[quote user="s10_yellow"]He hasn''t been offered a trial. He''s an desperate, pathetic, unrelenting self-publicist who believes in ''Brand Rohan Ricketts'', he''ll accept any interview going if it gets his name in the papers and if he ever gets near Carrow Road with Lambert in charge I will eat my own shoes[/quote]

Your description of him rings true with me which was why I was a little concerned and surprised Lambert gave him the time of day - I never gave it any thought that he would lie about having a trial with is, but on second thoughts, it wouldn''t surprise me.