Sign in to follow this  
a1canary

Ashton news great - but we have no midfield!!!

The Ashton news, great though it is, is obscuring the very real problems we have in midfield now with our horrendous injury list.

What are people''s suggestions now we''ve lost Helveg and Bentley?

Hucks can go up front with Deano i guess, Brennan comes in left, Francis in the middle and Jonson right. But who partners Damo? Is Holt close to a comeback? Safri?

I guess on second thoughts hucks can stay left and Brennan could partner Damo with Jarvis playing up with Ashton.

And then, what about right back when Eddy serves his suspension? Or does he only miss one game for ther red at Pompey? Would have to be Johnson i suppose, but then who goes on the wing? Jarvis? With Crow up front with Ashton? It''s a nightmare - we need some loan signings quick!!

You''re spot on there a1.  With Bents and Helveg now out, along with Holt and Safri we''re desperately short.  I don''t want us to have to play the liabilities of WLY or Mullers.  We need another midfielder

I would stick with a 4-2-3-1 and partner Mullers with Damo in deep central midfield. Ashton up front, Hux sitting off him in the central advanced role, Brennan on the left and Jonson on the right.

Eddy only had a 1 match suspension so can play with an unchanged back 4 (would love to see shacks instead of flem but just cant see worthy trying that on sat).

That doesnt sound too bad until you see the bench, which, and I have assumed that McVeigh remains persona non grata, contains the likes of Jarvis, Crow, Shackell, ANOther and Gallacher!

If Squiz is back in favour I would start with him wide left and Brennan on the bench in place of mr other.

I have just heard, a very unreliable rumour, that the injury crisis has made us look for a central and left sided midfielder...

As far as loans are concerned we can only have 1 loanee until the end of the season or several short term loans who could only be here for 91 days max, ie expiring before the season end and as the transfer window is closed we couldnt add further.

OTBC

I would test the water at wolves for Cooper again, we know what he can do he didn''t do any wrong..he has speed and can pass a ball..which at times our boys cannot do.

we could get him for a resonable amount

How many of you boys seriously think you''ll stay up?? Honestly? There''s little chance in reality, Palace have adapted well now, Blackburn are pulling clear, even Southampton are pulling there finger out. Which leaves Baggies as the faves for the drop along (unfortunately) with you guys. And 1 other out of a group of 2 or 3 max.

My point is this, what is Deano going to you for?????? It''s one of the most incredible stories of the year. An incredible sideways move which makes Robbie Savages decision to join Blackburn look like he''s going to Real Madrid. I''m devested he''s chosen to wreck his career at such a vital age.

He will be playing at Crewe next year, what sort of move is this. How your manager convinced him to join is a mystery. And that says it all really, a GOOD player (6months) from a tiny club battling for survival every season with an ave. of 6500 fans has to be convinced and persuaded and pleaded with to sign for you! What does that say about a) the state of your club b) your awful repuataion c) the lads aspirations about joining you. He was obvioulsy seriously considering turning you down, is that a good frame of mind to be in when joining your new club?

I''ll leave you with this plea 

DON''T RUIN YOUR CAREER DEAN. NORWICH ARE A JOKE.

Coops an option and he doesn''t seem to be getting any games at Molineux. But he''s not central really. Hopefully Holt and Safri aren''t too far from a comeback? Anyone know?

Ha Ha I didn''t want to bring that up but you sucked the life out of him! He''s back with us now, started 14 games got 9 goals... says it all once more  i think!

Nothing against you guys but he''s got promise and could go far. Contrary to what you think he''s got an amazing goalscorer. it''s his hold up play which is his strength. He won''t score too many for you, 5 max by end of season.

Go to Tottenham Dean lad

Does he like sitting on his arse a lot then, Daniel...''cos that''s what he''d be doing by going to Spurs!  Have you stopped to think for one moment that at this time of his career he wants to be playing football more than anything else, and to do it at a decent club where everyone is a person above anything else (no prima donnas allowed), and everyone matters, is surely preferable to returning almost to apprentice status again, playing in the reserves most weeks and getting the odd run out in the cups if he''s lucky.  Do try to at least see things from his point of view and don''t be so blinkered by our current league position.  If you don''t really know much about us you''d do best to refrain from too much comment.

Well Daniel Charlton, if you are a Crewe fan then you should be glad that your club produces good young players, otherwise you''d have been in financial difficulty years ago and nowhere near the 1st Div.

But we all know you''re probably a scummer in disguise

[quote]Well Daniel Charlton, if you are a Crewe fan then you should be glad that your club produces good young players, otherwise you''d have been in financial difficulty years ago and nowhere near the 1st Di...[/quote]

and no doubt an envious one too. Bent next?

What??? What are you people talking about??? I said it''s a bad move for him because you aren''t very good by (which NOBODY can deny) Premiership standards, and will be relegated.

He most definately should have gone to Spurs or Villa, O''Leary said on Sky Sports news a player of his quality would get get into most Premiership teams outside top 6.

It''s never promising when fans from a club like Crewe (we know we''re a small team) are actually describing this as a sideways move. The fact is we love him and believe he deserves Premiership football- not a few tail end games for this season''s whipping boys (granted along with Baggies).

We all want him to go and improve, we''re proud of that, we''re not in the position to keep hold of players and every fan knows that. But, we are sad to see him aim this low, he should have stayed till the end of the season and secured a move to a bigger, better club.

In reaction to the point about you being a family club, that''s fine- but so are Crewe! That is a completely irrelevant point. If he''d wanted a family club who are all lovely dovey he was already there! He needed to move to a club who value home grown players- such as Everton, Villa etc. Not you guys, you haven''t got the history of churning out great player after great player like these teams, or even Crewe!

We all just feel let down- after the hype of his exploits this season, we expected more than a low-key move to at best, a yo-yo team, at worst, one season wonders (this is harsh, you''re a good Championship team).

The Alex fans wanted to celebrate him leaving, and watch him scoring on MOTD regularly proclaiming that we once boasted his awsome talents.

Fingers crossed he sees sense in the summer and moves to a big club, like we all know he should.

We hate clay-heads!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

You''re still not seeing the bigger picture Daniel, are you?  It''s no good you thinking how nice it would be to tune into MOTD to see Dean banging them in for Spurs or the like.  There aren''t many clubs above us who would make him the hub of our strikeforce from day one, and that''s what he wants to do...play football, and that''s what he''ll be - the hub of our strikeforce.  If he''s fit then 99 times out of 100, if not more, he''ll play.  If you like benchwatching or reading the subs list then that''s what you would have got with him at Spurs, Villa, etc.  I''m sorry if you think we''re not good enough for him, but he clearly doesn''t share your opinion and that is all that matters.  And by the way there are plenty of Crewe fans on some of your fansites who think this is a great move and who think that Nigel worthington will keep the pressure off him and nurture his talent very sensitively..which he will.  As for the fact you loved the guy to death, he won''t know what''s hit him next Saturday when he runs out at Villa Park! 

Sounds like you''re lovely boy Daniel.Should think you''ve a fine pair of shoulders - show em off, show em off!Don''t worry about Deano - we''ll soon have him playing the banjo.

D Charlton -- you''re obviously entitled to your opinion. You believe Norwich are going down. We don''t. You speak of Blackburn putting a run together and some positive statements about Southampton with Palace coping well (even tho they are only marginally ahead of us). A month ago, Blackburn were dead last but they have put a few good games together. Things can change very quickly.

But let''s look at this a little more closely, shall we? Norwich have drawn 10 matches this season -- more than any other club in the Premiership. And half of the games we have lost have been by just 1 goal. There is one unassailable reason for the difference between those draws and narrow losses -- OUR LACK OF GOOD FINISHING. We have created chances, played some good football but our final strike has not taken advantage of the situations.

If we won just 3 of those 10 draws and drew another 3 of those single-goal losses, we''d be level with Newcastle and that''s not too shabby is it?

So, IF you believe that Ashton is an excellent player who can go on to great things, then you should believe that he can make the difference between draws and victories for us, given our already established prior record.

As you say, all this talk of a family club is irrelevant. And I haven''t even brought up the experience he will get by not sitting on the bench.

Using your own sincerest desires to see Ashton do well, and your perception of his skills, you should logically only surmise that we will stay up because of his ability to be the difference between a missed chance and a goal.

It''s not a bad move for him by any stretch. Your analysis is simply inaccurate.

Jeez - do you have a chip on your shoulder about Norwich or what?!?! I find it hard to believe you aren''t a binner, but there you go.

How on earth could this be seen by anyone as being a "sideways move", from a mid-table Div 1 side to a Premiership side, unless they are quite deranged?  He stands to be able to play in the (supposed) best league in the world, to score the goals that keep a side in the Premiership.  Are you suggesting you wouldn''t want to do this?  Why on earth would he want to stay with Crewe until the Summer, playing the likes of (no disrespect to) Rotherham and Gillingham when he can play Chelsea and Man Utd before the season is out?

You show a distinct lack of knowledge about our history of bringing through home grown players; for example we currently have the Enlgand U18 keeper (Lewis), and two England U18 Strikers (Henderson, Jarvis) in our Youth ranks.  We have also brought more players on and into the fringes of the international arena than you will ever know, clearly, and I see no reason we cannot do this again with Ashton.

Also, where are the "great players" that Everton and Villa "churned out" in the last 20 years?  I can recall none.   Villa even got hauled over the coals by the FA a couple of seasons ago for ''stealing'' a youth player from Brighton, refusing to pay for him even though Albion were on the verge of bankruptcy; Villa had to have £500k of their FA money revoked to give Brighton what they were owed.  Interesting to see you think they are a "nice family club". 

Nonetheless, they all had their chance to sign him and didn''t.  Why be down on us for that?!

Daniel Charlton, we understand about our heroes going to clubs that we haven''t particularly rated so I have little problem with your bitter little rants, my only question is why you suggest in block capitals that, ''Norwich are a joke''. In terms of what? Ambition, performance, ability, running of the club, supporters? er, no. piss off.  

OK Daniel, you''ve had your say, now run along. It''s best you worry about you, and we''ll worry about us. Dean''s moved onward and upwards, so forget about him. After all, you''ve still got Mark Rivers.... mmmmwwwwaaaaahhahahaha

Sorry Daniel, it''s too late now chum. He came to us, he now belongs to us, and we are most grateful to your club for allowing us to approach Dean - and to eventually sign him.

Your manager (if you are a Crewe fan), is probably one of British football''s finest, and he will no doubt carry on doing what he''s very good at, which is to produce and nurture individual footballing talent. I sympathise with you and your fellow supporters to a certain extent, that you feel that Dean should have signed for a "Big Club". But don''t forget! he chose to come to this ''not a very good Premiership Club'' to hopefully advance his career and playing in the top-flight.

Bellamy went to Coventry?, which surprised a lot of our fan''s, but he went on to represent his Country, and now plays for a "Big Club" (albeit struggling somewhat at this moment in time).

We are immensely pleased to have Dean Ashton as a player for Norwich. But, please don''t slate us for him joining us, as he''s pleased with what he''s seen, heard, and what we have to offer.

Don''t worry you''ll see him on MOTD believe me! Chill out, and spend your fee wisely......"Villa, Everton????? NAH! ;~)

Correctomundo! If both Dario Gradi AND the player himself say that it''s a brilliant move for Dean Ashton, then who are you to say otherwise? What do you know about football, sonny - I bet you can''t even get into your Junior School''s team anyway.

My ''Norwich are a joke'' jibe is in reference to both your ability and performance. Although admittedly you have done slightly better of late. I originally stated that you WERE a joke at the beginning of the season with newspapers wondering whether you could do the opposite of Arsenal and go a whole season without winning!-at that point you were definately the butt of everyones jokes. In fact, this season the prediction is that the 4th from bottom team will stay up with the least points total ever. In which case, if you do stay up, you will be the worst ever team to survive in the Premiership.

mello yellow you make a really good point and I fully agree with everything you said.

I was only making the point in my first post that the majority of Crewe fans believe that he should have gone to a good Premiership club- or what''s the point? In the end he''s chosen you, and i REALLY REALLY WANT YOU TO STAY UP!!!!! At the end of the season i''ll come back on and apologise if you stay up, but I get the feeling you''d struggle every year and Ashton will struggle as a result.  

The most important thing in all of this is how Deano feels and he''s obviously happy he''s made the right move. We have the potential to be the equal of many premiership clubs but it''s difficult for teams to compete in the first year but if we can survive the first season and add a bit more quality to the team we can finish higher next season. Deano is just a small step along that road and should improve our chances of winning more games. I am surprised that as a Crewe fan u wanted him to join an overrated so called big club when I would have expected u to be a fan of the underdog. If I was a footballer I often think that there is no way I would sign for a big club on principle, they have made the prem league a pointless competition and I haven''t got time for any of them.