Sign in to follow this  
alysha

What happened to the 40 million made available to Lambert?

"Manager Paul Lambert has warned Norwich fans he may not be able to spend a large proportion of the extra funds earned by their promotion to the Barclays Premier League.

The Canaries sealed back-to-back promotions last week to return to the top flight for the first time in seven years and claim the financial rewards that go with it. The club celebrated with an open-top bus parade around the packed streets of Norwich this evening, but amid the joyous scenes Lambert admitted he may be restricted in his spending this summer."

http://uk.eurosport.yahoo.com/10052011/63/lambert-warning-promotion-cash.html

Also "That''s the reality of football. I''d like to think (I will get some funds). Generally the chats we have had have been OK, but I just have to wait and see.

He also said:"I''ll have a chat with the board and what we can do, is what we can do. The reality of the game is I need help and I''m sure they [the Board) will do everything the can to give me that help."

Sounds to me like Lambert''s just playing his usual games with the media where he gives absolutely nothing away - he''s obviously happy with the outcome of his discussions with the Board.

Yup, probably just trying to keep expectations in check following Bowkett''s comments on Sunday. The board WILL back him, of that I have no doubt.

if he says he has got the full £40m then clubs will charge more, if lambert says he has less then clubs will not raise price as much!

[quote user="NauruDude"]I think hes just playing his cards close. He wont want to shout out I CAN SPEND 40 million because then teams will start raising their players value to us.[/quote]I see your from Iceland. Theres a young up and coming Icelandic player whose name I can''t remember who has got a decent goalscoring record in his first season in the Dutch Premier League. He is attracing attention from Arsenal and Newcastle. Is he worth a punt? Supposed to be a target man with pace.

Yeah, it did seem strange to suggest publically that he may get the full whack to play with - Not a good idea, though it may please many Norwich fans to hear this, it only makes any transfer target a more ''expensive'' transfer target so I''d much rather we didn''t hear anything at all ;). I think we should all forget anything was ever said regarding 40 or 20 million, whatever it was, as far as I''m concerned we have nothing to spend this summer, and am happy to leave it that ;)

Its nonsense to believe Lambert will be given a budget anywhere near £40m. Obviously we have to look to stay up and invest accordingly but the £42m + £48m parachute payments can secure our clubs future if budgeted for correctly.

First off, the club has an opportunity to reduce its level of debt, because in recent times it has become difficult to service. Not all of the debt will disappear, it doesn''t need to as long as its comfortably serviced and much of it is to Delia, Foulger etc who i''m sure don''t want to take funds from the club.

Secondly, a budget does not just include transfer fees, but also wages amongst other things. Being realistic on what PL is looking at in the market, there is absolutely no way PL will be bringing in numerous players for £5/6m and paying them £20k p/w as that would soon wipe out the benefit of the additional money we receive this season and would see us paying Premier League wages in the NPC if we were to be relegated.

It is vital the club looks after its long-term future, no doubt investment in the playing staff is required in an attempt to retain Premier League football but we have to be realistic, relegation is very likely and has to be planned for.

I can see 7/8 players coming in but transfers fees as well as wages probably won''t surpass £15m for the year. Hypothetically; 7 players at an average price of £1.5m = £10.5m, wages on average of £10k p/w = £3.5m. Total = £14m.

Our playing budget at present isn''t even £14m, correct me if i''m wrong.

A couple of thoughts. Most of the debt has been rescheduled so we will simply carry on making the payments.An extra payments will be to those who have loaned us money outside of the debts to the banks.

To suggest that we will pay of larhe chucnks of those debts just because we are in the premier is to suggest that we would say to Grant Holt. "Here yiu are mate, your three years wages in one lump sum".

The extra money will not affect what we pay. Remember the podgy Fry upping the price of CSM as he thought that the recent £2m boost to City would mean he could ask for more. It doesn''t work that way.

It does work with release clauses. Players can leave if offers above a certain level are made. players will also leave because the clubs cannot continue meeting their wage costs. Players will have already been identified and I''m afraid ''tapped up''. It goes on. if only to suss out their present contract, whether they would be interested in a move etc

The club will also be aware that should we go down the extra money will drop from around £40m to £16m parachute payment, with likely further drops in advertising/sponsorship rates as well. The balancing act will be to secure the best we can whilst still covering our backs should the worst happen.

Part of that balancing act will be the understanding that many players (their agents) will not want to sign a contract that cuts their wages should the club be relegated. Nor will many want short term contracts. Contracts that don''t leave us stuck with the Bullard type situation.

On the positive side we appear to have a very savvy and hard negoitator in McNally and also a board that are City fans rather some figure head on an ego trip, nor some dodgy foreign ownership that will be using the club for some shady money laundering operation or some dodgy tax avoidance scam.

We can speculate all we want (part of the fun). We can conjur up imagined transfer fees and cast our eyes around at who might be availabe and who would be suitable. but I think we all know that most signings have been fairly much ''unknowbs''. Not unknown in lack of ability but unknown as they are not the usual names that have been bandied about.

My own thoughts are that we will need cover as much as a bit of quality. By cover I don''t mean shadows to the palyers we have. Some of those already here may well see theeir ''automatic spot'' handed to a new signing. The pace will be faster and prbably more draing so it will see a more frequent use of the squad rather than the same 11.

And as was pointed out elsewhere the transfer window does close on Aug 31st until Jan 1st. No signing players pretending they are loans. Maybe that will mean another keeper. It will definitely mean two attacking full backs .. and, well we shall see

Or he could of said yeah i''ve got a 20 million pound war chest to keep norwich up, and everyone then knows they can bump up their values so a 2m player becomes a 3m player over night.

I was thinking the same, I just think he is trying to pretend that all the money might not be there for him to spend. I doubt he was very happy about Bowkett making it public knowledge, so he is trying to rectify the decision.

I think if you read what he''s said you''ll see that he''s merely managing the expectations of some of the fans who have latched onto this £40m figure and are now expecting us to go out and spend multiple millions on one player.

I don''t think any of us have heard or read what Bowkett actually said regarding the budget, but the implication is that the rough figure for finishing bottom of the Prem is £40m, depending on number of games on Sky and other factors, and that the majority of this will go towards the playing budget.  As many others have already mentioned, this budget includes wages, fees, etc not just for new players, but the existing squad and so shouldn''t be taken at face value.

After years of limited spending, its easy to get carried away with this figure and get over-excited, but the reality and the truth of the words spoken is much more boring I''m afraid.

If we break our previous £3m transfer record on one marquee signing I''d be very surprised...

Anybody thinking Norwich City are going to spend £40 Million on transfer fees this summer should be put in a mental institute.

Someone has already made the point that we shouldn''t place too much literal reliance on remarks being made under the influence of euphoria. This is not to be critical but, as an example, McNally boasted to the crowd yesterday:

"The seven-year plan has been achieved in two."

That''s not true. The seven-year plan envisaged promotion to the PL, immediate relegation, immediate promotion back, and then consolidation in the top flight. All that has happened so far is that we have reached stage one (the first promotion to the PL) earlier than expected.

A second point is that this all pretty much uncharted territory for everybody at the club. Smith and Jones have to an extent been here before, but the PL has changed since the last time, with absurdly high rewards just for one season, but also absurdly high costs. McNally has been here with Fulham, but Fulham had Fayed''s fortune as back-up.

For the rest of the board, and for Lambert, this is all new.

40 million was never, ever, there in the first place, I was wrong to assume most fans knew and understood that.

Well done Archant for bigging it up again...........now look what you''ve started.

[quote user="First Wizard"]

40 million was never, ever, there in the first place, I was wrong to assume most fans knew and understood that.

Well done Archant for bigging it up again...........now look what you''ve started.

[/quote]Sorry but after a chat with a certain ex blue peter guy,he led me to believe that paul has a free reign on transfers,and though after pushing him for where he got info and exactly how much,he just hinted that bowkett has already let the cat out of the bag,and Paul is trying to put it back in! :):):)

He also said he will probably split his dealings into 2 windows :)

[quote user="nutty nigel"]

Purple....

Are you saying that McNally is already planning for relegation?

[/quote]

---

nutty, we all have our roles on this message-board, and mine is to be the spectre[6][:@][8o|] at the feast,[<:o)] the purveyor of uncomfortable truths...[;)][:D][:P][:D][;)]

Unless things have changed I think you''ll find that the "premiership millions" come in dribs and drabs throughout the season. I remember Wynnie explaining it when we went up last time. I think this is part of the reason the money wasn''t there for Ashton until the January.

It would be mad not to plan for it, surely nutty ?  Even if it''s something that you want to avoid ?Obviously everyone at the club with be trying to stay up, but isn''t that what relegation clauses in contracts are for ?I''d like to think that maybe McNally also has a plan for the Europa League - if Stoke City can get there...

[quote user="CDMullins"]Anybody thinking Norwich City are going to spend £40 Million on transfer fees this summer should be put in a mental institute.[/quote]This! Some of what i''ve seen said on here has been insane. In all likelihood will be about 15-20% of that!

[quote user="PurpleCanary"][quote user="nutty nigel"]

Purple....

Are you saying that McNally is already planning for relegation?

[/quote]

---

nutty, we all have our roles on this message-board, and mine is to be the spectre[6][:@][8o|] at the feast,[<:o)] the purveyor of uncomfortable truths...[;)][:D][:P][:D][;)]

[/quote]

And what a spectre you are Purple[:O][Y][;)]

Can my role be the boards soothsayer and predict that if your bad tidings come to pass it will all have been planned by the wicked cook[A][6]

[quote user="blahblahblah"]It would be mad not to plan for it, surely nutty ?  Even if it''s something that you want to avoid ?

Obviously everyone at the club with be trying to stay up, but isn''t that what relegation clauses in contracts are for ?

I''d like to think that maybe McNally also has a plan for the Europa League - if Stoke City can get there...
[/quote]

You''re right Blah. Plans have to be made for every possible outcome. Those who wait and see get left behind. I''m sure that we had two plans in place for next season. That''s the main advantage  of automatic promotion. Those already up can start to implement plan A. The club that wins the play-offs will start implementing plan A nearly a month later.

But my undersatnding of Purple''s post is that relegation from the Premiership is part of McNally''s 7 year plan which is a different thing altogether.

"But my undersatnding of Purple''s post is that relegation from the

Premiership is part of McNally''s 7 year plan which is a different thing

altogether."Well, yes, that would be very different.  I very much doubt that the club are "aiming" for relegation , why halve your income if you can avoid it ?  [:)].

[quote user="nutty nigel"]

[quote user="blahblahblah"]It would be mad not to plan for it, surely nutty ?  Even if it''s something that you want to avoid ?

Obviously everyone at the club with be trying to stay up, but isn''t that what relegation clauses in contracts are for ?

I''d like to think that maybe McNally also has a plan for the Europa League - if Stoke City can get there...
[/quote]

You''re right Blah. Plans have to be made for every possible outcome. Those who wait and see get left behind. I''m sure that we had two plans in place for next season. That''s the main advantage  of automatic promotion. Those already up can start to implement plan A. The club that wins the play-offs will start implementing plan A nearly a month later.

But my undersatnding of Purple''s post is that relegation from the Premiership is part of McNally''s 7 year plan which is a different thing altogether.

[/quote]

This is how some people I know took the plan, they were not NCFC supporters and took the mick saying who actually plans to get relegated - I must admit McNally''s comments on the 7 year plan could be percieved as that, but I''d like and hope to think he means preparing for the worst as opposed to hoping for the worst