Sign in to follow this  
eldrich canary

John Ruddy for England

Saw this today:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/teams/birmingham-city/8506991/Birmingham-City-goalkeeper-Ben-Foster-retires-from-England-duty.html

Basically says Foster is taking time out from the England squad, Green is probably being promoted to #2 (wasn''t he #2 anyway) and that they are looking at John Ruddy as a potential #3.

Given the keepers from England who are playing regular Prem/Champ footy at the moment who are willing to play for England it really does seem that JR is a great prospect. I don''t see the need for another young keeper to come in (we have Rudd/Steer) but more a need for an older chap to help Ruddy develop.

As far as I''m concerned Ruddy have the #1 shirt and it''s his to lose.

Promising development for young Ruddy. Though Im certain he will have to prove his worth in the PL before he starts to get the plaudits that count. He has a great opportunity to get himself recognised next season thats for sure.

[quote user="liam_norw"]. . . . . He is Scottish![/quote]

St Ives was in Cambridgeshire last time I looked...

[quote user="Jacko"]

[/quote]

Correct!

10 minute drive away from where I live.

Certainly has a good opportunity to get in the squad. I could definitely see it happening if he starts next season how he ended this one. Maybe except for the Forest goal!

Don''t understand why people seem to think we need a new #1 keeper either, while I''m on the subject. Ruddy has done little wrong for quite a few months yet still people slagging him off :S

[quote user="87canary"][quote user="Jacko"]

[/quote]

Correct!

10 minute drive away from where I live.

Certainly has a good opportunity to get in the squad. I could definitely see it happening if he starts next season how he ended this one. Maybe except for the Forest goal!

Don''t understand why people seem to think we need a new #1 keeper either, while I''m on the subject. Ruddy has done little wrong for quite a few months yet still people slagging him off :S[/quote]Well what do you expect - Chris Martin hasn''t been playing for a while, so the boo boys need to move onto somebody else don''t they?!At the end of the day, Ruddy is a young keeper who has been an ever-present in a team that has finished top two in the Championship, so he clearly has quality. It is obviously a big step up, but if he can carry on progressing against higher quality opposition, I see no reason why he can''t make the England squad.

Ruddy was statistically the second best keeper behind Paddy Kenny who had a very solid back line in front of him. So shove that up your pipes and smoke it!

Ruddy is definitely good enough for England!

I think Ruddy is certainly a better keeper than Joe Lewis who managed to get into an England squad recently. Give him a season in the Prem with an experienced keeper nearing the end of their career for backup & it wouldn''t surprise me if he makes the squad for a qualifier or two.

Frank Fielding also got in the England Squad.

If I was Capello, I would be looking at some of the younger goalkeepers.

Green - Cracked under pressure to many times.

James- Too old

Carson- See Green

Hart- Young exciting and confident

Ruddy- Maybe prone to the odd error but still young enough to improve on that

Forster- Consistent with great promise.

I rate Ruddy really highly and in my eyes would rather have Ruddy between the sticks then Forster.

no way did ok in the champ but can''t see him playing a lot next season

You cant see Ruddy playing next season, so who will be playing then, Green? Forster? Blah blah blah.

Load of old tosh.

I seriously wonder whether the Ruddy doubters go to Norwich matches. Or even follow Norwich.

I don''t think the Forest goal was a massive howler just a massive fluke. How many goalkeepers have there kicks blocked, difference was it ended up in the back of the net.

Saved penalty against Swansea which we won 2-0.

Made that superb save against Barnsley which we won 2-0. At the time of them saves it was 0-0 so you could say he helped massively to getting 6 points there.

Look at his age, the amount of clean sheets he has had and yet people are still doubting. People just need to get out of Forster''s backside.

Agree - Forster did well at a lower level and is doing well at a lower level now (Just look at Middlesborough''s Ex-Celtic players and players like Boyd, Miller)

Forster made his fair share of errors and couldnt kick for toffee. Every keeper makes errors. Some people on wanting Green back need to think back to the World Cup.

Reuddy as done nothing wrong and deserves a shot.

Unsung hero this year with some massive saves made and this crisitm/suggestion of replacing his, is frankly, out of order.

My favourite Ruddy save has to be the one at Leeds towards the end, was colossal sprinting out and showing no fear to make sure we came home with something. Cant see him getting a call up though, seems to take them bloody ages with Goalies. Dependent on the goalkeeping coach, so keep an eye out for Ray Clemence et al....

[quote user="YellowLittle1"]I seriously wonder whether the Ruddy doubters go to Norwich matches. Or even follow Norwich. I don''t think the Forest goal was a massive howler just a massive fluke. How many goalkeepers have there kicks blocked, difference was it ended up in the back of the net. Saved penalty against Swansea which we won 2-0. Made that superb save against Barnsley which we won 2-0. At the time of them saves it was 0-0 so you could say he helped massively to getting 6 points there. Look at his age, the amount of clean sheets he has had and yet people are still doubting. People just need to get out of Forster''s backside.[/quote]

Afraid so, I''m surrounded by them!

To be fair Alysha, your suggestion of taking Andy Marshall back is one of the worst I have ever read on here.

Totally agree CDM, he had some big hands to replace in the form of Forster, but I think this year as a whole defensive unit we have been a lot, lot better. I mean, sure, he hasn''t had to save as many 1 on 1''s or whatever, but he has pulled off some fantastic stops and he commands the back 4 well. I''d rather have Ruddy here permanently than Forster back on loan, no matter how well he did.

My favourite save of his is without a doubt the save he made during Sheffield United at home - it was 3-2 and coming towards the end of the match when a Sheffield United player made run into our box and squared the ball to his team-mate who would have been left with just a tap in to do, but Ruddy managed to get down low, stretched to the ball and managed to palm the ball away to one of our players just as their player thought he was about to equalise - this very save led  us to break on the counter attack with Holt running down the left wing and then setting up Hoolahan to seal the 3 points.

Was a superb save and the mix of emotions of thinking we had thrown our lead away to actually breaking down the other end and scoring another goal. The attacking players celebrated with Hoolahan and Holt whilst the defenders just ran upto Ruddy to give him the credit he deserved. Great moment

[quote user="CDMullins"]To be fair Alysha, your suggestion of taking Andy Marshall back is one of the worst I have ever read on here.[/quote]

People were talking about wanting a keeper of experience who would accept a place on the bench, so I just threw it out there, no need to hold it against me and try to discredit anything I say from now on.

I made the same point in my blog article yesterday. I think with the sheer lack of good goalkeepers around, all you need is a bit of consistency and you''re in the frame for England. I think Ruddy can do that.

I think we would all be surprised how many points he has saved us. Sometimes at the end of seasons you rue on all the "what if''s" but seriously what if Ruddy didn''t save the penalty against Swansea?

Forster also made a few mistakes, being sent off against Tranmere and obviously the Leeds error. Remember also seeing him being sent off for Celtic this year.

Re-sign Judas? Don''t think so! John Ruddy is a competent goalkeeper but will never play for England. I think Capello will pick Hart, Green & Carson and then there are David Stockdale, Scott Loach and Frank Fielding ahead of him as well.

[quote user="In Dubious Battle "]Re-sign Judas? Don''t think so!

John Ruddy is a competent goalkeeper but will never play for England. I think Capello will pick Hart, Green & Carson and then there are David Stockdale, Scott Loach and Frank Fielding ahead of him as well.
[/quote]

Can I just clarify he would not be my first choice either, I only threw it out there as people were talking of the need of an experienced keeper, and the poster above had mentioned Gunn and Andy Marshall, which lead me to say speaking of Marshall....

Like you, I agree that Ruddy will be down in the pecking order, but next season is still the perfect opportunity to get himself noticed whilst the England goalkeepers are not set in stone

[quote user="In Dubious Battle "]Re-sign Judas? Don''t think so!

John Ruddy is a competent goalkeeper but will never play for England. I think Capello will pick Hart, Green & Carson and then there are David Stockdale, Scott Loach and Frank Fielding ahead of him as well.
[/quote]

Frankie Fielding is pretty much out of the picture after having a so-so time at Derby. He made the bench for England once, but very much in the same way that Joe Lewis did.

Basically England are looking for a number 3 goalkeeper, pretty much the least important member of the squad - I doubt Scott Carson would want to do it and would probably do a Robinson and Forster and "retire". Scott Loach has gone off the boil at Watford and Ruddy will beat Stockdale just by being in the Premier League. If Ruddy makes a good start to the season there is every chance he will get the "coveted" No. 3 slot, but England could just continue to use the keeper from the U21 team.

[quote]no way did ok in the champ but can''t see him playing a lot next season.[/quote]because we are signing Victor Valdes!What a load of Tosh! Ruddy is number 1 goalkeeper and will remain so into next season.