Sign in to follow this  
Pboro Canary

Good to see the Daily Mail reporting at their usual high standards.......

I read the report (in the daily mail) about a week ago about the Portsmouth match. They stated that our last match of the season was against Burnley!

[quote user="BlyBlyBabes"]

The intellectual elite don''t read The Guardian.

However, those who like to think they are often do.

OTBC

[/quote]I don''t think a paper can ever appeal to a specific level of "intellect", people can make the same choice for totally different reasons after all. They can however choose to present calm, well rounded, logical, reasonable and fair analysis, which will inevitably attract a certain class of reader.Some papers are designed to provoke thought, some papers are designed to provoke gut reactions. Your choice old boy.

It''s in the Mirror today but without some of the hyperbole of the Mail report.

http://www.mirrorfootball.co.uk/news/Cookery-queen-Delia-Smith-got-carried-away-again-as-she-swore-in-front-of-40-000-football-fans-celebrating-Norwich-promotion-to-Premier-League-article734597.html

And the Telegraph (in more detail).

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/celebritynews/8507442/Exuberant-Delia-Smith-in-gaffe-filled-speech-to-Norwich-City-fans.html

Both accounts above manage to report the incident without the "one person said" nonsense that the mail regularly uses to justify its slurs.

[quote user="Joanna Grey"]

second most visited newspaper website in the world....

[/quote]

That''s hardly surprising really. They''ve spend huge amounts on search engine optimisation (search for pretty much any news story on Google and The Mail will be in the top two or three results) and are increasingly moving towards more celebrity based ''news''. It''s probably a positive thing that a lot of those users are now accessing their website to see upskirt shots of drunken actresses rather than immigration scare stories [:D]

[quote user="Shack Attack"][quote user="Joanna Grey"]

second most visited newspaper website in the world....

[/quote]

That''s hardly surprising really. They''ve spend huge amounts on search engine optimisation (search for pretty much any news story on Google and The Mail will be in the top two or three results) and are increasingly moving towards more celebrity based ''news''. It''s probably a positive thing that a lot of those users are now accessing their website to see upskirt shots of drunken actresses rather than immigration scare stories [:D]

[/quote]

But once there users tend to loiter longer than on other newspaper websites. You are also forgetting the USA market which the DM caters for with it''s American reports on the homepage (which can be a little bit annoying for a UK reader).

But once there users tend to loiter longer than on other newspaper websites.

[/quote]

Again that''s hardly surprising. Search Google for a celebrity story and you''ll find The Mail in the top few results. Wants some more? Just click on the home page and there is a handy list of articles with pictures of female celebrities on the right hand side of the page.

You are also forgetting the USA market which the DM caters for with it''s American reports on the homepage (which can be a little bit annoying for a UK reader).

[/quote]

Heaven forbid you should have to read any foreign news stories [;)]

[quote user="Joanna Grey"][quote user="Duncan Edwards"]

I don''t do stereotypes, but all readers of the Daily Mail are "special" in one way or another.

[/quote]

Ah bless. Well there are a lot of "special" people out there, second largest circulation in the UK and second most visited newspaper website in the world....

[/quote]

Just because there are a lot of them, it doesn''t make them (you) any less stupid [:D]

c. 10,000,000 people voted for the last X-factor winner. Did you buy that? 

[quote user="Harry"][quote user="Militant Canary"]A truly, truly awful paper on so many levels!

Why such a lack of respect? Pathetic.
[/quote]

I farted in a lift the other day, just like the daily Mail that also was awful on so many levels.  [:)]
[/quote]

Ha ha, that''s very good.

[quote user="macdougalls perm"][quote user="Joanna Grey"][quote user="Duncan Edwards"]

I don''t do stereotypes, but all readers of the Daily Mail are "special" in one way or another.

[/quote]

Ah bless. Well there are a lot of "special" people out there, second largest circulation in the UK and second most visited newspaper website in the world....

[/quote]

Just because there are a lot of them, it doesn''t make them (you) any less stupid [:D]

[/quote]

And this point was proven most dramatically in 1997, 2001 and 2005.

[quote user="Joanna Grey"][quote user="macdougalls perm"][quote user="Joanna Grey"][quote user="Duncan Edwards"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

And this point was proven most dramatically in 1997, 2001 and 2005.

[/quote]

Let''s not forget last year shall we; although, in this case, there still wouldn''t have been enough idiots if they hadn''t reunited the Old Etonians [:)]   

http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/football-league/norwich-rise-a-team-effort-says-lambert-2273639.htmlYeh The independant have been pretty lazy in this article aswell when going through the names of our players

[quote user="JTG"]Oh dear, oh dear.

What a dreadful, dreadful paper the Daily Drivel is. Worst paper in the country by a mile. Would rather read the bloody Star!
[/quote]

After buying the Express today i can categorically say that the Mail isn''t the worst paper!! It''s still dog shit though[:D]

[quote user="First Wizard"]

I bet Delia had a right giggle over it.

[/quote]

I bet she did too.  That "slip of the tongue" was no accident, Delia knew exactly what she was doing.  It was a deliberate publicity-seeking ploy that''s worked like a charm as per usual.  She didn''t get where she is today by being naive about the media.  Result: everyone''s talking about Delia instead of Lambert and the boys.  Thankfully, now that her wings have been clipped and NCFC is a proper football club again instead of a celebrity vehicle, it really doesn''t matter very much.  If it gives her pleasure, what the hell. 

Standing at the top of the market steps on Tuesday evening, when I heard the "friggin'' playoffs" comment it was deja vu all over again.  Drunk or sober that''s Delia - she can''t resist the attention-seeking gesture, and if you looked her in the eye and told her so she''d probably say "I couldn''t possibly comment" and then give you a wink. 

I''m not at all surprised that the media have picked up on it, but I find it sad and a bit frustrating that so many fans are taken in and seem to think it was spontaneous. 

Fans are taken in by all sorts of things when the team are winning. Everything about the club is good and they gag to be ripped off in the ground and in the shops. Not sure what they''d have made of McNally''s policies if they''d been implemented by Doncaster. But my advice is to enjoy it while it lasts because as McNally says "football is a cyclical business".

[quote user="nutty nigel"]

Fans are taken in by all sorts of things when the team are winning. Everything about the club is good and they gag to be ripped off in the ground and in the shops. Not sure what they''d have made of McNally''s policies if they''d been implemented by Doncaster. But my advice is to enjoy it while it lasts because as McNally says "football is a cyclical business".

[/quote]

They wouldn''t have been implemented by Doncaster though nutty.  The two of them are like chalk and cheese  Doncaster''s stock in trade was "We can''t compete" whereas McNally is the sort of guy who''d rather stick his head down a blocked lavatory than utter any such phrase.

I totally agree though, enjoy it while it lasts.  As Paul Lambert said when we were chanting his name on Tuesday evening "I hope you''ll still be doing that next season when we''ve lost 10 games in a row".

With my Liberal Democrat hat on, it reminds me so much of this time last year when "little old us" ousted Charles Clarke, the Labour Party''s big beast, in Norwich South.  It was a miracle, and so is this.  Now we''re fighting for survival in the political Premier League. 

Enjoy this while it lasts folks, and when we''re up against it next season as we surely will be, come out fighting.  Never throw in the towel even if the cause seems lost. 

[quote user="canary cherub "]

They wouldn''t have been implemented by Doncaster though nutty.  The two of them are like chalk and cheese  Doncaster''s stock in trade was "We can''t compete" whereas McNally is the sort of guy who''d rather stick his head down a blocked lavatory than utter any such phrase.

[/quote]

---

Actually Bowkett and McNally''s seven-year plan explicitly assumes we will get relegated next season, which sounds way more pessimistic than anything Doncaster ever said.

[quote user="canary cherub "][quote user="First Wizard"]

[/quote]

I bet she did too.  That "slip of the tongue" was no accident, Delia knew exactly what she was doing.  It was a deliberate publicity-seeking ploy that''s worked like a charm as per usual.  She didn''t get where she is today by being naive about the media.  Result: everyone''s talking about Delia instead of Lambert and the boys.  Thankfully, now that her wings have been clipped and NCFC is a proper football club again instead of a celebrity vehicle, it really doesn''t matter very much.  If it gives her pleasure, what the hell. 

Standing at the top of the market steps on Tuesday evening, when I heard the "friggin'' playoffs" comment it was deja vu all over again.  Drunk or sober that''s Delia - she can''t resist the attention-seeking gesture, and if you looked her in the eye and told her so she''d probably say "I couldn''t possibly comment" and then give you a wink. 

I''m not at all surprised that the media have picked up on it, but I find it sad and a bit frustrating that so many fans are taken in and seem to think it was spontaneous. 

[/quote]

Not as sad as someone who has the need to make things up to try and discredit someone else.

[quote user="canary cherub "][quote user="First Wizard"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Not as sad as making things up to try and discredit someone who has achieved so much more and done so much more for the club than they have including subsidisingt their entertaintment with substantial amounts of money. That really would be sad.

HI CC - I missed your comment on national debt that was carefully explained. Have you had a chance to consider this yet?